Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2001 WJ Laredo - which radio do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2001 WJ Laredo - which radio do I have?

I just got a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo for my son. The first thing he wants to do is upgrade radio. I've searched, and haven't seen any sure way to tell if I have the standard sound system, or the Infinity premium sound. I got my build option list from Jeep customer service. The of items listed are:
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RBP AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl
RCGS 6 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna

None of those mention Infinity or Premium Sound, so I assume I have standard system with optional head unit that is cassette and CD. I also have looked for a separate amplifier that I've seen reported as part of the premium sound, and have not found one.

So my conclusion is that I don't have the premium sound.

The of reason I really want to know is because Crutchfield seems to think it is important to know. I'd guess maybe there is a different pigtail adapter for the standard vs. premium sound at the head unit.

Can anyone help me out here?

TIA
Old 10-24-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

If you have the Infinity Gold system. It will say Infinity Gold on the speaker fronts on the front doors. I am not a wiz at this accessory stuff but I am pretty sure the IG was standard on the Limited, and upgrade for the Laredo. I think the IG systems has the 10 disc changer located in the back cargo area. Thats a PITA as far as I am concerned. I prefer the one disc at a time type.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, if it helps any, my 2000 base model Laredo's build sheet says it has an AM/FM radio/cassette/compact disc player with 6 speakers. There is nothing on my speaker grills and no amp under the back seat. In the place in the cargo area that the 10 disc changer goes, I have a storage bin.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

You most likely have the RBP, which is the A/M-F/M with tape deck, single CD player, and controls for a remote CD changer. It has a 3-band EQ.

Here's a run-down of the radios available from 1999-2001 (they changed the wiring and options around in 2002, so I'll only post for 1999-2001 models):

RAS: A/M-F/M with tape deck, 2-band EQ, standard in 1999-2000 Laredo model with standard sound system ONLY.
RBB: A/M-F/M with tape deck and controls for a remote CD changer, 2-band EQ or 3-band EQ, standard in 2001 Laredo model with standard sound system ONLY.
RBN: A/M-F/M with tape deck and controls for a remote CD changer, usually includes Infinity Gold system, 3-band EQ. Optional in 1999-2000 Laredo and Limited models.
RAZ: A/M-F/M with tape deck and single CD player, 3-band EQ, optional in 1999-2000 Laredo models, and standard in 1999-2000 Limited models.
RBP: A/M-F/M with tape deck, single-CD player, and controls for a remote CD changer, 2-band EQ, optional in 2001 Laredo model, standard in 2001 Limited model.

As mentioned by others, if your Jeep has 'Infinity Gold' on en emblem on each front door speaker grille, and if you have the black amplifier/box under the rear bench seat, then you have the Infinity Gold sound system. My '02 Laredo is equipped with the standard sound system (non-Infinity Gold). Jeep added the dash-mounted "tweeter" speakers as standard equipment in 1999, regardless of sound system, whereas they were only available with the Jensen AccuSound or Infinity Gold system from 1993-1998 (the standard sound system only included four, door-mounted speakers). The 1999-2001 Laredo models included the standard non-Infinity Gold sound system, though the Infinity Gold sound system was an option, and the 1999-2001 Limited model included the Infinity Gold system as standard equipment. So, if you have a Limited, you have the Infinity Gold sound system.

Last edited by 94zj318; 10-24-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Thanks everyone. Yes. I have RBP. Was just wondering about speakers and amp. I don't have the Infinity emblems, or an amp under rear seat. So it's settled. I've got the standard sound system. Now time to start a new thread for my next question.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

Sorry to hijack your thread but this is a good segue to my questions. The right tweeter of my Infinity Gold setup is blown and sounds like a box of angry hornets - very grating on the nerves - takes the pleasure out of listening to favorite tunes. How does one replace the dash mounted tweeters? How would you gain access to those tweeters? Please just tell me that it's as simple as popping a trim panel...
Old 10-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Go to wjjeeps.com to learn a whole bunch of stuff about your WJ. I believe that's covered somewhere in the site. The main thing is to match the ohm value to the original. I come from the land of 8 ohm speakers, but I understand now-a-days they use a lot of 4 ohm speakers.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-25-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
Sorry to hijack your thread but this is a good segue to my questions. The right tweeter of my Infinity Gold setup is blown and sounds like a box of angry hornets - very grating on the nerves - takes the pleasure out of listening to favorite tunes. How does one replace the dash mounted tweeters? How would you gain access to those tweeters? Please just tell me that it's as simple as popping a trim panel...
The tweeters are an odd 2.75" size, so going aftermarket is your best bet... you can fabricate a strap that'll mount an aftermarket tweeter in the factory location. No aftermarket tweeter that I'm aware of will fit directly into the factory location. You'll need to clip off the factory wiring connectors and connect the factory speaker wiring to the wiring included with your new tweeters, as they don't sell a wiring harness for the dash speakers that connects directly to the factory wiring harness (only the four door speakers have that option).

To gain access to the tweeters, use a pry tool to pry up on each side of the metal grilles that cover the speakers and the defroster grille cover near the windshield at the top of the dash, and work your way to the center until you can get at it and remove it. Then you'll need to remove two Philips-head screws per tweeter that hold the tweeters in place. To do this, you'll either need really, really small hands to get into the narrow cavity between the tweeters and the windshield (impossible) or use an angled Philips-head screwdriver to remove the tweeters. Then you'll simply disconnect the wiring harnesses from the tweeters, and remove them, then go replace them as I mentioned. Then, just put the metal grilles and defroster grille cover back in place, pressing down on it to make sure it "snaps" back into place. You'll also need to make sure the tweeters you choose allow that dash trim piece to be put back in place (the tweeters don't sit up directly to the metal speaker grilles). I have the non-Infinity system in my Jeep, but it's the same process for both systems. There may even be a way to splice that wiring harness back into the aftermarket speaker wiring, but I don't know for sure. I'd also recommend using Posi-Products connectors (they're like $4 or so for a box of like 10 connectors) to make the wiring connections secure... you slide one end of the plastic cap over one wire you wish to connect, and then slide the connecting end over the other wire you wish to connect, twist the wire connections together, then twist the two plastic caps together securely, and there's no need for electrical tape (that can come easily undone), or heat-shrink tubing. Good luck with your project! (:

Hope this helps,

Vince
Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

These guys http://www.jgcparts.com/ sell the tweeter speaker replacements with the stock plug/connector. Unless you enjoy making a project out of fabricating something this is the way to go. It will take about 15 minutes to install them, if that and they sound great.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by blueseasons
These guys http://www.jgcparts.com/ sell the tweeter speaker replacements with the stock plug/connector. Unless you enjoy making a project out of fabricating something this is the way to go. It will take about 15 minutes to install them, if that and they sound great.
That site also once sold genuine Mopar Infinity tweeters before they changed owners.