Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1999 grand cherokee sentry key issues.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 grand cherokee sentry key issues.

Well I looked around and have not quite found the info I need. Anyhow I was given a jeep for some work I had done for some friends. I was told after receiving it that the keys were thrown into oblivion. They need to move the jeep due to moving. So they went up the street and found this dumb ads to "help" them move it.At least the door was unlocked. First they broke the ignition box off the switch. While doing that they broke the piece that turns the ignition box the little metal key thing and the strange wire that goes through it. Finally they could get it into neutral. But the steering wheel still wouldn't turn so the ignition get drilled out.
Dumb people make me so mad....

Anyhow anyone out there that can help out with a parts list? Basically I need to know of all parts related to the ignition key to the ecu.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You probably should post in the Grand Cherokee section. You'll likely get a better response there.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:07 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
You probably should post in the Grand Cherokee section. You'll likely get a better response there.
That's where it's at......now.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee

given the age, I would start with the Junk yard to get the missing parts. they should have a key, if not you can always go to a locksmith to have them make one for you.

usually you can go to the dealer with your vin and they can make a key for you. my neighbor lost his key and needed to move his truck before the street sweeper (with the ticket person in tow) showed. he had his whole dash apart trying to get the ignition out to take to a locksmith. he had spent most of the day pulling it apart. when I saw it and suggested going to the dealer, he had that "oh-crap" look. he went to the dealer and problem solved.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:58 AM

Well thanks for moving the post to a better spot. Lol kinda new at this. Anyhow the key is not my issue. I have a locksmith on standby. He will come out and program my keys and what not. I have just got to fix the crap they broke. Then I will have Mr lock Smith come for a visit. Dealer recommended this guy. When I had the dealer on the line hey told me I should be able to replace the broken stuff. But he couldn't get me the part numbers I was looking for. And maybe I will just have to buy a complete steering column and replace the whole thing. Just trying to save as much money as possible. I figure after all is fixed the jeep will be going to the dealership. They may have locked out the ecu trying to start it over and over. But I am hoping that is not the case. I hope I get keys and it will just fire right up. I don't wanna go to the dealership I am 65 miles from Spokane.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

This is not a simple fix like getting a new key. There is a thing called a SKIM (Security Key Identification Module) that reads a transponder chip in the key. The SKIM then decides if the code from the key matches one of the codes stored in it's memory to allow you to start the vehicle. If not, there's no way it will start! It will crank, but not start. A picture of a key in a circle with a line thru it will appear on the dash if it doesn't recognize the key as being valid.

That thing with the funny wire is the shift linkage lock cable. The linkage will not unlock until the key turns. On the back side of the switch housing is a pin that locks the steering wheel.

Considering all the carnage that the lock has been exposed to, I would recommend getting a used steering column from a junkyard, getting keys made to fit the lock, installing it, then taking the jeep to a dealer to get the SKIM and keys programmed. The trickiest part is getting the linkage lock cable installed and adjusted right. While you're at this, buy a couple of key fobs online and get the RKE receiver programmed while at the dealer. You'll have to prove the jeep belongs to you when you take it in though. It will have to be towed to get it there, shift the t/case to neutral to move it.

I believe any steering column from a 99-04 WJ will fit.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-21-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Awesome info. I will be looking into a new or used column. By looking at Spaldings website it looks like some have a few different optionsoili but I don't remember the diffrences. Hopefully this is all I need to do. If I have any problems I'll get back to you guys.

I guess won't more question before I start the part seach. Now they tried to start it just by using the ignition box. I dont know how many times though. they said it would only run for two seconds then shut down. Now I have read something about the ecu locking up and the motor won't turn over until it goes to the dealer to be unlocked. If so how many tires do they get before lockout?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I've never heard about a lock-out. Apparently the security system is still working because it cuts out when it realizes the key codes aren't there. All this is controlled thru the Body Control Module and the PCM. There's no way to "fool" the BCM except with a DRB III scan tool which the dealer has. In other words, you can't bypass it to drive it down there.

The WJs work on a Can-Bus system where all the modules "talk" to each other over a common circuit. The PCM does diagnostic checks on all the modules at random intervals and if something isn't within parameters, it sets a trouble code or warning light. These vehicles are about as complicated as I ever want to own.