Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

i have a 97 grand Cherokee that I bought about a year ago and went to replace my fuel filter and to my surprise, their was no filter. I know that the guy I bought it from swapped engines and did some modifications to the Jeep but why straight line the fuel line. That being said letting all the contaminants into the fuel rail, will that contribute to slow starting and performance issues? I have since replaced the injectors with 4 hole injectors, new cap rotor new spark plugs and wires new exhaust system new engine all together as the engine was not in good shape. Currently waiting on parts to fix the fuel filter/line issue. That being said just want to find out if the filter not being there whatsoever will cause bad mileage, slow starting, and low performance.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Fuel filter is built into the top of the pump assembly in the tank. Not replaceable as an individual part. I know, dumb.
Best to replace the entire pump assembly anyway to restore full pressure which should address the problems you list.
Replace ONLY with a Bosch unit. Rockauto.com has it at a good price.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Yeah buddy you need to replace the fuel pump. It's an assembly. Dont try what I did and take it apart just replace the whole thing and be careful doing it.
There is a regulator on the top, and the fuel filter is actually perilously attached at the very bottom of the pump. Dont jostle it too much putting the assembly in the tank.
Ebay is dumping some really good units right now ...just did mine...$40 for the whole assembly. Used to be they got $140 for a good whole unit. Oh and AZ has the tank straps and bolts for about $30.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Shifting issue

ok. So my new problem. When I bought the car it had a engine swap done already. Car is a 97 engine was a 94 and engine went bad. The shop put a engine out of a 97 just recently and when went to pick it up there was a metal on metal rubbing sound and turned out to be the speed sensor front the 97 rubbing on the flywheel from the 94. The flywheel from the 97 was then put on it and the noise went away. Now the new problem is that since the flywheel swap and I’m assuming is unrelated because I have never heard of it before but could be wrong. Now when starting off it shifts super smoothly and when it shifts into second gear it slips out and rpms go up for a second lose momentum and then goes back into gear nice and smooth. And at idle there is a vibration. It is an automatic. No other gears have an issue. And this was not an issue before the flywheel was swapped. I am at a loss lol any help is appreciated