Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1996 ZJ 4.0 Auto transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 ZJ 4.0 Auto transmission issue

Hi guys,
I'm new to the world of Jeep. I've been looking around for a good 4x4 that I can use as a work horse, a daily drive, and a fun motor to get dirty when time allows.
I've settled on a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. I like the look of both. I would prefer an XJ but I've been offered a ZJ that needs some tlc. Which is why I'm here.
I could do with some knowledge regarding the automatic transmission. Based on some Google research the earlier ZJ's had the 42RE transmission. The vehicle I'm contemplating has a hard time deciding whether it wants to be in first or second gear. No snatching or jerking however.
Some googling produced some answers, but I just wondered if anyone could confirm.
1. Input/Output sensor dirty or failed
2. Transmission Oil service required.

Another issue is the steering. The current owner reports a "delay" between turning the steering wheel and the wheels turning. I think he means there is play is the steering. He has been told by a friend that it's the steering damper. I personally believe its the steering box from previous experience with old land rovers. But i welcome suggestions.

I'm quite keen to go and check this Jeep out but I don't want to land myself in a world of hurt for my effort.

Any knowledge will be very much appreciate.

Regards,
Gaz.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Hi Gaz and welcome!

Soon after I bought my Jeep (95 Grand Cherokee) I also experienced the indecisive shift problem. Mostly on hills or places where you stepped down on the gas. I took it back to the place that sold it to me and they replaced the fuel pump. That cured the problem. As for the steering, don't know of any common problems to the Jeep, but sounds like it could be anything in the steering assembly...
Old 10-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It seems the newest thing is a swap to the Dodge Durango steering box. It's stronger and a little bigger than the jeep box and guys report it's much better. It's a Saginaw, same as the jeep, with the same bolt pattern.

All the steering damper does is cancel "bump steer" or the jeep wanting to change direction when hitting bumps.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-07-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 95quicksilver
Hi Gaz and welcome!

Soon after I bought my Jeep (95 Grand Cherokee) I also experienced the indecisive shift problem. Mostly on hills or places where you stepped down on the gas. I took it back to the place that sold it to me and they replaced the fuel pump. That cured the problem. As for the steering, don't know of any common problems to the Jeep, but sounds like it could be anything in the steering assembly...
Thanks Quicksilver,
I'll keep an eye out for this. Going to have a look on Sunday!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
It seems the newest thing is a swap to the Dodge Durango steering box. It's stronger and a little bigger than the jeep box and guys report it's much better. It's a Saginaw, same as the jeep, with the same bolt pattern.

All the steering damper does is cancel "bump steer" or the jeep wanting to change direction when hitting bumps.
Very handy to know that Dave, many thanks.