Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1994 Grand Cherokee Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Talking 1994 Grand Cherokee Problems Thread

Hello, all. I'm somewhat new to the forum. I'm from Cincinnati, OH, SouthEast. I recently just acquired a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I love it. This is the second Jeep i have owned. I recently owned a 1992 Cherokee. It was pristine. Anyways i decided to start a problems thread, showing all the problems with my new Jeep so far. Thus i would like to try to get some feedback from the experts on here. This list will be continious. Let me start from what i've noticed so far and what ive done so far.

Electrical:
"Rear Lamp Failure" on the VIC, all lights in rear appear to be working. Will replace bulbs soon.
Gear Selector lights do not work.
Radio doesn't light up. Equalizers and radio works fine, just no display.
Temperature Gauge reads about 150 Degrees. Seems really low. I will check the Thermostat tomorrow.
Important Fuses seem to be in fine working condition.
Driver seat, only select controls work. Passenger seat control don't work.
Passenger side mirror works but is broken and not in place.
Driver side rear window does not work.

Interior:
Most of the Headliner is sagging. (Easy fix)
Everything else seems to be in decent condition.

Exterior:
2 Rust holes, one in each fender. Rockers look good.
Bubbling rust behind rear bumper.
Under Carriage is about 95% rust-free.
No dents that i've seen. No hard scratches.
Everything else seems to be ok.

Engine:
Runs strong, no noises that i've heard.
Needs a complete tune-up.
Everything checks out ok so far.
No modifications yet. Planning on Screamin Demon Coil, Upgraded Wires, Demon rotor and distributor cap. Platinum plugs. K&N Filter. Electric Fan.
Possible headers, unsure yet.

Drivetrain:
4X4 works fine in both HI and LO settings.
When i turn i hear a noise. Hard to explain. Kind of like something isnt getting lubricated enough, but only does it when turning sharp both ways.
Small but noticeable whine from front end, but only does it when accelerating.
Transmission shifts like butter. What trans is it by the way?
Everything else seems to be fine.

Brakes:
Right front caliper and rotor was replaced.
New brakes all around supposably.
Good brake pressure, going to flush system with new fluid.
Everything checks out fine and all the lines look brand new.

Suspension:
Shocks look new.
Springs look new.
Bushings are acceptable.
Everything else checks out.

Misc:
A/C needs charged, havent checked for leaks or the compressor, Will tomorrow.
Little odds and ends here. Detailing it tomorrow.

Will post pictures of it tomorrow.

Thanks guys i'm trying to describe everything the best i can.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

> "Rear Lamp Failure" on the VIC, all lights in rear appear to be working. Will replace bulbs soon.

this is the usual state of the GC vic. happens anywhere from 2 minutes after driving off the lot to several years later. Will happen no matter how good or bad the bulb is.

If you don't have this, you might end up with "Coolant sensor bad"
Also an error message, can be fixed (thread on this forum) but easier to ignore it. (for me)
Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Thanks Basegrinder! I read around on here and it's not a big deal. I've just been ignoring it. Soon i'll be swapping over a new radio (once mount kit and wiring harness is received), also i got to look at a few things yesterday. First off, the gas mileage is terrible at the moment. I got to looking under the hood and found out there is some stuff that needs tuned-up badly.

What Needs Replaced:
Fuel filter needs replaced, it is a factory one.
Spark plug wires need replaced. They are also original ones.
Spark plugs need replaced.
Distributor Cap and Rotor are original as far as i can tell and need replaced.

My plan is to either buy one part at a time (I'm broke), or save and buy the $195 Davis Unified (Screamin' Demon) kit. I have another vehicle, so i can let it sit around until i get some stuff changed. Just amazed me all that stuff is original!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 AM

>Driver seat, only select controls work. Passenger seat control don't work.

on my passenger seat (93 GC) there is a connector clip that is just sticking out from the carpet. I have no idea what it is. Similar to this:

I haven't bothered to check ALL the switches on that seat to see if they work...just the forward/backwards switch
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 AM

I have the same exact wire sitting there. Looks like its just part of the harness, and probably just goes to a different model.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM

So i got the infamous "Low Coolant Level" VIC label.
Anyways i recently reset my battery (Unplugged the Negative terminal for a few days actually) and my Stereo completely worked. By this i mean all the led's worked on it and i could see the time and stations. After shutting it off and restarting it, no more led's for the stations or clock. Now my speakers cut in and out also. COuld this be a ground or short?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

in my 95 GC limited i was getting both the rear lamp failure and coolant sensor bad messages on the VIC. I just unplugged the damn thing and pulled it out. It freed up a nice space for a switch panel
Old 08-04-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

also check out this thread, theres lot of good info in it such as transmission type like you were asking
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/zj...fications-819/
Old 08-04-2012, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by dnuccio
also check out this thread, theres lot of good info in it such as transmission type like you were asking
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/zj...fications-819/
Some V8 ZJs with tow package still have the Dana 35
Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 AM

Also i have yet to look into the thermostat. It seems to run very cool. It runs about 150-160 degrees consistant. I have a pic but no time to upload right now.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me, stick with factory style cap, rotor, wires, plugs and coil. Factory coils last forever, aftermarket dont. Use copper core plugs, platinum is a total waste of money. Copper conducts electric better, you have to change every 30 k, platinum isnt as efficiant BUT if you have hard to get at plugs they are better because you dont have to change till 100k.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM

tiwvr1, i think im going to follow your advice man. Later on i will get a better distributor and ignition set-up. For now i am just doing a full tune up to her. I need a few more recommendations. She will rarely see mud, sadly, but i'm trying to make her as fuel efficient as possible. My Overhead reads around 20-25MPG between 45-57 MPH. Thats not bad, and i know its not the most accurate thing. Anywho, heres the list i've made of what fuel efficient mods will be done.

(1)New low resistance tires filled with nitrogen.
(2)Complete Fresh tune up to the ignition and fuel system.
(3)Fresh fluids everywhere. Including Transfer case and diffs. Whats everyones take on Synthetic lubes for the Transfer case and Diffs?
(4)Probably bleed the brakes, looks to be original fluid, just needs done, no MPG improvement.
(5)Either a Airraid/K&N panel filter, or a complete Short ram system. Advice on which of the two?
(6)Needs new o2 sensors and im going to try to buy a complete gasket set for the engine and the exhaust.
(7)Then theres the ECU, i know there is not alot of aftermarket ECU upgrades available for these, but has anyone ever used the JET performance chips?

IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE YOU GUYS WOULD ADVISE, PLEASE INFORM ME!
I appreciate it guys!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Bump....

So today i started her and took the trash out, and found a small puddle of coolant. It appears to be leaking from the front driver's side, and i'm wanting to say its the radiator. I didn't get to look at it ery well yet, but the hoses are brand new and the clamps are tight. Are there any other coolant lines that run in the front on the drivers side that i should check out?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Originally Posted by Davidson
Bump....

So today i started her and took the trash out, and found a small puddle of coolant. It appears to be leaking from the front driver's side, and i'm wanting to say its the radiator. I didn't get to look at it ery well yet, but the hoses are brand new and the clamps are tight. Are there any other coolant lines that run in the front on the drivers side that i should check out?
No, But check that you didn't crack the neck when you changed to hoses!

Old retired fart.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I know my ZJ's info display is saying REAR LAMP FAILURE with the tail lamps on the Jeep diagram flashing red, and none of the rear lights look to be out. IDK what's going on there, glad I have someone that can relate to EVIC problems. (:

In terms of the radio, your screen must just be going out. I'd buy a new radio (an aftermarket one from Best Buy).

My temp gauge has a problem as well. But mine jumps to 210 right away after starting it. I bought a new thermostat and gasket, both will be installed (:

I also have a power seat problem, all driver's seat functions work, but only the fore and aft and up and down adjustments on the passenger's seat work. I think it's the circuit board for the controls, either needs cleaned or replaced, as I pulled the relay for this and it is fine.

The droopy headliner is a problem on Jeeps. My Jeep has it too. You can either pin up your headliner with brass or silver tacks, or get it replaced. This will run you $170 at the maximum.

Rust is also a problem on Jeeps. My Jeep only has small, hardly-noticeable rust spots and no rust holes, however, paint dings are a problem, I've had to touch up multiple spots on my Jeep. I even covered a rust spot with factory-matched touch-up paint from Auto Zone. (:

As far as the transmission, if you have the 4.0 I6 with an automatic, your transmission will be a 42RE. If you have the 5.2 V8, your transmission will be a 46RH (I have the 46RH). If you have the 4.0 I6 with a five-speed manual, your transmission will be an AX15, I believe.

Lastly, the HVAC systems on Jeeps always have problems. My parents have owned many Grands with HVAC problems, and my '94 ZJ has an HVAC problem right now (see my thread I posted earlier today).

Good luck fixing these problems (:

Quick Reply: 1994 Grand Cherokee Problems Thread