Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition ($3k Upgrade Budget, Looking for Input)

Hey all,

This is my first post and happy to make it. I have been reading these forums for a little bit and decided now is the time to join.

I recently traded my 05 F150 XLT Supercab for a more baby friendly Jeep Cherokee. The rear opening doors of the truck made working with my baby seat a nightmare and a half. So now that I sorted out my fatherly duties for my new baby girl, I want to make the Jeep a little more aggressive.

I have always wanted a Cherokee, but never had the right one come along until now. So now that I have it I want to make it mine. I am hunter that on the weekends drives through rough cut trails to hunting spots. Nothing to insane, most would consider it mild at its worst. Some steep grades, but again nothing over the top. The only time I would say it gets a bit crazy is in the winter when I am going through 6 - 12" of snow, or in the summer after a crazy rain and the road washes out. I never took my truck offroad for the sake of it due the very long wheel base, but around me there are plenty of places I could go enjoy a day of offroad fun. This is somehting I would like to consider doing. I would be going with friends that are driven landcruisers, a few jeeps, an FJ, and other misc lifted, big shoed vehicles capable of some offroading fun. I do not plan to make this jeep over the top, but I would like to continue building it up in areas over time so that maybe one day I could tackle some more aggresive trails.

I also have a 19.5' centerconsole boat that I do pull during the summer. So not sure what that means to the suspension suggestions but I wanted to share that.

I was hoping to post my budget and ask what you all would suggest spending it on.

Suspension and Tires:

I have read through and it seems Rough Country looked to be a good options for a lift kit. I have never lifted a truck, so not sure what I need to be looking for.

Here is what I found:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...s-lift-kit.htm

But with that said I have no idea what size tires I should run with it.

So to you all of you, I would like to keep the suspension and tires around $1500 if possible. A little more won't kill me but I am looking for a solid bang for the buck solution. What would you all get? As far as rims, stock is fine to me, but if you all suggest otherwise I will gladly list.

Performance:

This has the inline 4.0L which I was happy to see. It seems like I would like a bit more performance out of this engine. I read conflicting articles that suggested that the basics (cold air/header/catback/etc) wouldnt make much of a difference. Other than knowing the 4.0L is a solid engine, I don't know what it is capable of.

So again I will be going with $1500 budget for performance upgrade. How would you spend $1500 to get more performance out of a 4.0L. I read about stroker kits, and checked into some but it puts me out of price range at this time.

So my goal is to keep the upgrades for both suspension and performance $3,000 or under. I have the Cherokee, I have the money, but I lack your experience with this vehicle and I am more than willing to listen to any and all advice and appreciate you taking the time to point me down the right track.

Thanks

WeekEnder

Last edited by WeekEnder; 10-28-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. I doubt you'll get more than a 10% HP gain from the catback systems out there, if that. And most "Cold-air" intake systems are junk as they get some or all of their air from the hot engine compartment. The stock intake on the 4.0L gets outside air instead, and does the job just fine.

Just my opinion, but your money would be best spent on a good lift kit and a set of good tires.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from Maryland!

As for the lift check out rustysoffroad.com, I just looked and for a 4.5 inch advanced lift is $1200. Also check out zone offroad, there is a vendor on here for them, he might be able to get you a good deal!
As for performance, start with the basics, clean injectors, tb. With your year look into a chip or programmer to tune your computer for economy or power. If you get a new air intake such as a K&N that actually blocks off the filter it will help, with that also look into new exhaust, mandrel bent tubing, free flowing.
These thing aren't going to get your jeep from 0-60 in two seconds but it will help.
Congrats on the jeep!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:35 AM

Thank you for the responses,

I will definitely check into the vendor on here for more information.

As far as the performance increases I am not looking for some bolt-ons to turn 50+ hp or anything silly, but just looking to help the 4.0L have an easier time producing what it can.

I would still like to see some more feedback before I make a purchase, but so far so good.

Thank you,

WeekEnder
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Just keep in mind the 4.0 is a good reliable TORQUE motor. It's only 185 hp but puts out 220 lb.ft. of torque. For sloggin' thru snow or mud it's great. Personaly, I would do like Ol' Blue says. Put your money in tires and a lift. I'm not sure what the limits of lift are before you have to change control arms and stuff, but 32's are pretty good and a popular size on the WJ. Also safer for that baby girl.