Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

02' Overland Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 HO
Default 02' Overland Problem.

Yesterday out of the blue the jeep just started dieing. I could get it to fire and run but it'd just die again and again. It seemed like a bad fuel problem since the last few times its gotten gas its been from one of those **** places. I usually put shell in it and since it was nearing E I figured i'd slap ten bucks of shell 91 in.
After that it seemed to run decent so we went fishin and on the way to the fishin spot around 40-55mph the jeep would feel like it died, but it'd pick back up again and not act up for a mile or two. Whan i'd come to a stop it'd start dieing on me again randomly.
On the way home it ran perfect, thought the gas fixed the trick and no more crap gas.
Well today we loaded up for the lake and the jeep wont start at all. It'll turn over just wont start. Pump's on, everything seems fine.
I unplugged the battery for a good 15 mins, come out and no dice. Try again and it fires up. Runs good for a minute, then dies. I turn the key and nothing at all. Then turn the key and it fires and runs good for a few minutes.
Run it thru all the gears and everythings fine, put it in park then it dies. Fire it up drop it into 2 and it dies. Fire it up and let it sit for a few mins and no prob.

Ive replaced 2 ASD's this year already, it's throwing no codes at all. I'm thinking fuel filter maybe clogged from that crap gas?

Wondering if any of this may sound fimiliar to any of yall.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8

Fuel filter could be it. Also running it so low on gas you may have picked up some trash in the tank. Even good gas from shell is gonna have some stuff in it. Let us know what the problem was when you figure it out.

I actually for some reason didn't finish reading your whole post before I jumped to a conclusion. I dont know what it could be but I'd almost put money on it that it something electrical/computer going wrong.

Last edited by AubieJeep; 05-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM

well ill take the filter off 2mar and blow thru it. Hopefully some other folks will post up thoughts. Really hoping its not a computer prob. Was thinking cps as well, but with no codes its really tough.

I have ran it really low on gas a few times this last month. Think a lucas treatment would help.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 PM

A little update here. Did nothing to the jeep, seemed to run fine while driving it one night. Then earlier today we headed out and the jeep died about three miles from home. It died while running, prior to this it ran great for those three miles.
I had it towed home and started researching more.
From the symptoms I am having sounded like a CPK, so I put a new one in and nothing.
But I do now notice that there is a light on the dash on, its a key with a circle cross out around it. I guess thats a common problem as well and it means you need a new chip key?

Anyone have any input here?
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 AM

Model: Cherokee

I'm having a similar problem with my ZJ. It doesn't completely die but it gets real close. I just replaced the battery terminals and tightened up the connections at the alternator and the fuse block and I haven't had a problem with is in a few days.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

What the light is telling you is it's not recognizing the key as a correct one. There may be a problem with the sensor in the key switch.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:31 PM

Well I got it fixed. After using the scan tool and only finding one problem I hopped out and switched the clutch relay with the asd. Turns out it was the ASD again. That makes 3 in the last 6 months. Good thing it has a lifetime warrenty on it. I guess I should of checked that first, but thinking I just replaced it in march it wasnt on my list.

Anyone else burn thru asd relays? Im going to try and follow the wire and see if there is anything wrong with it and might add an inline fuse, unsure of the amperage, im thinking a 50A?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The ASD relay only cuts off spark and fuel. It shouldn't need a 50A fuse! I think you have an intermittant signal circuit that causes the contacts to "bounce" or "flutter" causing the them to burn from arcing. Check the PCM connector and the wires that come out of the plug.