Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

94 Grand Cherokee A/C barely blows.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 Grand Cherokee A/C barely blows.

I have a 94 Grand Cherokee Limited. The A/C is cold and Heat is hot. I can hear the blower increasing in speed when in turn the speed up but the air still barely blows out the front vents. It does blow pretty good at the floor, but adjusting the directional **** to the front vents does nothing to help it still blows at feet and not out the front vents. It had been doing this for a while and then I replaced the alternator a few weeks ago (it was dead) after that the a/c worked fine and then today i was driving about 50mph and the whole dash maybe the whole dang truck started shaking violently, just as i went to pull over it stopped, but now the dang a/c is broke again. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am not afraid to rip the whole dash out if necessary. Oh yea I also tried the A/C self diagnostic and got code "00"
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

The ac blend doors might be it. have they ever been repaired?
Old 06-01-2013, 01:09 AM

Not sure I just got it from my father in law a few months ago. I would guess no though.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

could be 2 things. 1. blend doors are broken, 2. the blower is blowing in reverse. fix is here. You can search the forum for blend doors topics. There are repair kits and certain garages will fix it without removing the dash. To check if the blend doors were previously repaired you can remove the glovebox and there is the actuator motor and would most likely be tape covering a cut plastic housing the heater core and blend doors. if you see the tape move on to 2.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to the infamous "death wobble"! Check all your front end components, tire balance, bushings and bearings. Common problem points are ball joints and tierod ends, track bar and control arm bushings. It usually shows up around 50 mph after hitting a small bump or pothole. It can get violent enough so you can't control the steering and crash.

My opinion is the lack of enough caster is a contributing factor in Jeeps design. The only time I had this problem with my Chevy 4X4s was because of a bent rim.

My first experience with this was an old CJ5 that shook so bad I thought it was going to come apart! Nailing the brake was the only way I got it under control.

On the AC and heater, it's the blend door. The pivot shaft is broken. There is a company that makes a repair kit that fixes this without ripping the dash out. It involves cutting an access hole in the heater box. Yours is probably stuck in the floor position. My 97 ZJ; the blower sounded like a tornado trying to get thru a keyhole but the air just drifted out the vents. It was barely enough to keep the windshield frost free in the winter.

Last edited by dave1123; 06-01-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 AM

Thanks everyone, I pulled out the glove box and no tape so I'm gonna go ahead and repair the blend doors and see if that takes care of it.