Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

02 Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C not working

Hi, I have a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that we just recently found out with the warmer weather that we've been having that the A/C doesn't actually work. When you push the A/C button, the button doesn't light up. We thought it was just a bad bulb at first. We just recently bought this vehicle so we wasn't sure. We thought turning the climate controls down to 60 or low would cool down the vehicle but all it does is pull the air in from outside the vehicle. Has anyone had this problem and can help us figure out how to fix it? Is it a fuze, a plug that came loose, a possible leak? I don't believe it has anything to do with recharging the A/C. What would be the reason the A/C button doesn't light up and is it also the reason we can't get any air conditioned air in the vehicle or is it two separate problems? We are close to having another baby and would like to get it fixed before it starts getting really hot out. Its not fun riding around with your windows down all the time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:30 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Hi Jennie welcome to the forum and congratulations and your husband on your new addition to your family.

Jennie Does your vehicle have auto climate control for both the driver and passenger side? I have also recently purchased an 02 WJ and have an issue with my AC. I can share with you what I've done to this point. I did have my GC AC's professional charged $70 to which they add a die to show if in fact the coolant is leaking. The AC worked fine for a few days and then it started blowing out warm. I looked under the hood and noticed one of the AC hoses had die on them. I purchased a AC replacement hose and installed it and went back to the mechanic and had the Jeep recharged again. AC worked fine for a few more days and now I have no fan working? I'm assuming my blower is bad but am not certain. One gentlemen commented that the connection in the switches maybe loose? Not sure about this, I've yet to climb under the dash and investigate. I will keep you posted and also have another thread going on this too.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/mor...s-pics-194011/

There are others here that are very Tech savvy. I'm sure they will chime in with additional diagnosis on what maybe your problem. Again good luck with your upcoming bundle of joy. Stay well.

PeterB

-
Old 05-21-2014, 03:59 PM

Model: Cherokee

Hi Peter, thank-you for your reply. Yes, it is auto climate control for both the driver and passage side. The image of your climate control dash is very similar to what ours looks like. The A/C button doesn't light up orange at all when we push it. The blower works just fine, just no cold air. So far we've done lot of repairs on this Jeep and want to avoid taking it in again for another repair bill that we can't afford right now with baby on the way. We would like to try to fix it ourselves if we can figure out what the problem is. But if it is a possible leak, we may have to take it in and have them add that dye to see where it is coming from. Just wish I knew if the button light had anything to do with it for sure. I'll have to keep an eye on your forum and mine to see others comments. I think I'll have my husband check to see if any wiring is loose first. This could be the main problem why the cold air never turns on. Thanks again for commenting. You've given me ideas of what to look into. I hope you find some answers on your A/C problem as well. Have a great day!

Last edited by jennie_49031; 05-21-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

-

You are welcome. I noticed I gave you the other link and not the one showing photos of the AC hose leaking.

View page 2 of this thread to view die leaking and which hose I replaced.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/tpm...y-pics-192905/

Good luck.

-