Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

01 Laredo wont start in the mornings sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 Laredo wont start in the mornings sometimes

hi all, my WJ will not start sometimes in the mornings for its first start. its always when it gets cold, but i live in Texas so its not like it really gets that cold. and my Diesel Jetta would start up just fine in this weather. It only gets down to 30 at night and was 58 when i tried starting it this morning. and its only ever the first start. once it will start there arent any issues. ive tired making sure she was in park and starting her in neutral. ive also had the battery tested and charged up, tests said the battery was fine. and all the lights and dash comes up. im not sure what the issue is

Last edited by Gltaun; 10-16-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Need more info. What engine? And does it crank and just not start or do you get nothing when turning the key?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 PM

its the V6 and i get nothing. no crank. no noises. the guages dont go crazy. Im thinking it has to be something with the Colder nights, because this morning at 0700 it was 55 when i tired to start it and got nothing. at 1300 when i tried again it was 73 and it started right up. and thats how it normally goes
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by Gltaun
its the V6 and i get nothing. no crank. no noises. the guages dont go crazy. Im thinking it has to be something with the Colder nights, because this morning at 0700 it was 55 when i tired to start it and got nothing. at 1300 when i tried again it was 73 and it started right up. and thats how it normally goes
It's an Inline 6, not V6. Hmm, I'm sure others will chime in but the first thing that comes to mind is the NSS (neutral safety switch), CPS (crank position sensor), starter/selenoid or bad battery. But the temp part is throwing me off a little because 50 degrees isn't that cold.

Also worth mentioning that bad grounds make these 4.0's do weird things. There are several of them in the engine bay. Try cleaning them up with a wire brush (including battery terminals). Free and easy to do.

Last edited by rgr4475; 10-18-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:31 AM

my bad thought i put I-6 lol.
my only reasoning for not thinking its the NSS is it wont start in neutral or Park and making sure its in park doesnt help.
Ill check on the CPS, not sure why i didnt think about that.
im not sure about the starter/selenoid because its never an issue unless its colder out. and it starts right up everytime otherwise.
Thats what is throwing me off too. because its really not that cold. and my Diesel Jetta had zero issues in this weather and youd imagine a Diesel enfine to have cold issues before a gasser
i cleaned up the terminals. ill check the rest of the grounds also
Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Nothing when you turn on the key tells me it's ignition switch related. Do the courtesy lights come on when you open the door? If not, it's main power supply related. Do the headlights work without the key?

There are 2 red wires that come off the battery cable end. The big one only supplies the starter for cranking. The smaller one supplies power for everything else and goes to the PDC (fuse/relay box under the hood.) Many times that wire gets corroded inside the cable clamp and won't carry any load. This connection could be temperature sensitive.

My advise, if you still have those molded lead post clamps, is to cut them off and install bolt-on ends. This worked for me.

BTW, with a bad CPS, it'll crank all day but won't fire.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dave1123
Nothing when you turn on the key tells me it's ignition switch related. Do the courtesy lights come on when you open the door? If not, it's main power supply related. Do the headlights work without the key?

There are 2 red wires that come off the battery cable end. The big one only supplies the starter for cranking. The smaller one supplies power for everything else and goes to the PDC (fuse/relay box under the hood.) Many times that wire gets corroded inside the cable clamp and won't carry any load. This connection could be temperature sensitive.

My advise, if you still have those molded lead post clamps, is to cut them off and install bolt-on ends. This worked for me.

BTW, with a bad CPS, it'll crank all day but won't fire.
I have had worn out starter brushes do this too. Worn to the point where they will barely make contact with the armature when warm, but not make a good enough contact when cold because of the armature contracting in diameter just enough because it is cold. lol
Old 10-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Yes, but he's getting NOTHING! no dash gauges, chimes, nothing.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:20 PM

well, i get power to everything just fine. Interior lights come on when opening the door. all the lights, come on and work when putting the key and turning it on. but when going to crank, nothing happens. Headlights and all work with rhe Key turned on
Old 10-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Maybe it's the starter solenoid then.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dave1123
Maybe it's the starter solenoid then.
I didn't say it... And the words were indeed cryptic and needing "reading between the lines".
Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Old fart with a wrench

This is a case where a little more info to start with would have been more helpful! My crystal ball was cloudy today.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:47 PM

ill look into the Starter Solenoid!
ywah my bad. i had a long day of replacing the Thermostat, and exams when i posted this
Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I didn't mean to dump on you, but sometimes it's not very clear what the symptoms are, what it's doing, and what it's not. "Nothing" to me means no warning lights, no gauges, no chimes, nothing. If you've got all that, but no crank, it's probably the starter, starter solenoid, or neutral safety switch. If the whole gauge cluster goes dark when you try to crank it, that's a power supply problem, dead battery or bad connections.

It's very difficult to diagnose anything with a keyboard, if you get my drift.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:30 AM

yeah my man i got ya! plus it can be hard to explain everything over the internet! and im just a 21 year old kid who is still learning alot about cars! and just about everything im familiar with is on a Inline 4 front wheel drive Diesal Jetta. now im transfering that to a Inline 6 4x4 gasser lol. but im learning! its funny cause the guys at my local Firestone and Harbor Freight know me pretty well because im always popping on for a question or buying a tool to work on her!