Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZJ Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2
Default ZJ Resurrection

So this is the second time I have bought and owned this zj. It started as a stock tiny Laredo with the 5.2 and I built it to what it is now. All with hand tools no air or power tools. You can see the first part of the build here on Cherokeeforum.Com if you search jy95zj. I forgot all my old login info it's been 3 years. Anyway I bought it back from the lady I sold it to 3 years later with only 872 miles added to the odometer. It had a few issues when I sold it some were fixed most were not so I have a good list of stuff to start working on. Already started replacing all the gaskets and fluids, tearing out the interior to upgrade to the 96-98 style in black, got a nice roof rack and a few lights, brand new front bumper to cut up. Definitely going to get a winch this time around. Hopefully I'll get some more pics up soon. Thanks for looking

Yeeeeeeesssssssss!!!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Have more fun the second time around!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: AMC 2,5

I really like the ZJ, its a classic car!
Enjoy it!
Old 06-29-2019, 04:18 PM

Man I was so excited to get this thing back but it's just sitting all sad and lonely in my driveway. I work on cars all day and when I get home I just can't bring myself to work on it. I've started stripping the old and collecting new to me interior pieces. Trans fluid filter and gasket changed. Rear differential fluid and gasket replaced. I still have to replace the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, rebuild the brake calipers get some new shocks, and install the Durango steering box. That's nothing right?

Last edited by zjchief; 12-11-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:28 PM

Got the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket changed out finally today and last night started cutting the new bumper up a little. No pics right now my phones camera is garbage I broke the lens. Also started mocking up my hand throttle it's going to bada$$. Hopefully get that finished up along with some interior work tomorrow.

Last edited by zjchief; 07-09-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Still need to smooth the edges but i think its way better than the old stubby bumper

Trimmed the fenders a little more in the front and the front bumper a bit.

Made this from the end of a carbon fiber mtb handlebar and some old cable brakes i had in the garage. Its way tall i know i was just test fitting everything i still have to cut about an inch off so the shiftknob will lock into place. Ill finish it up soon if i have time
Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 PM

Between rain showers today I got the rest of the Interior all out besides the dash. carpet was disgusting so i tore it out and cleaned the floor up, there's a couple tiny surface rust spots bUT nothing major, no cancer. I'm gonna pick up some rubberized undercoat sometime this week for the floor pan and start putting in the black interior. Pics tomorrow if I have time. waiting til I have the extra cash to get new shocks and steering box so just cleaning and small projects for now. One step closer to having it back on the road, or off road.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:05 PM

Went to the local pull a part an did a little shopping today. A few interior trim pieces and part of the dash before I had to leave. It was like an oven earlier but I'm going back this afternoon to pick up a front driveshaft to do a hack and tap sye and maybe get an old xj steering wheel if it's not to bad shape. Might pick a few more parts to sell if I have time saw a nice set of locking hubs on a cj5 I might grab. Pics later
Old 08-30-2019, 04:26 PM

FINALLY got my new steering box and new shocks!!! Time to start putting it back together. Brakes next, then find a donor for the rest of the interior. I totally forgot how much work this thing needed when I bought it back, but when it's back on/off the road it will be worth it.

My phone sucks
Old 09-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Been working on the Jeep when I have time and it's so close to being back on the road. Got the steering box installed, new bds shocks installed, gutted the interior and started replacing with the dark grey 96 interior. Went to the pull a part yard today and made a nice find. Looking for some seats and came home with all four drilled slotted rotors in amazing shape, a pair of 2 inch coil spacers for the front my springs are sagging a bit and steering stabilizer then it started raining. all for for $28 though.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:43 PM

It's been a while but I'm getting it done a little at a time.
so far:
gaskets and fluids
power stop brake calipers f+r
drilled slotted rotors f+r
added 2 inch blocks to the front then took them back off and chopped half a coil off the rear springs
K.O.R. radiator support
new power steering gear box
BDS nitro shocks x4
1 ton dodge front brake lines
Trimmed/ shaped front bumper
cut and folded rear fenders
96-98 interior trim minus dash and front door panels (still searching)
Pontiac Grand prix hood vents with drain trough
New infinity speakers
Bedliner floors
made a diamond plate fuel door
bought a np231 today at the pull a part and got it home to realize the case was cracked all the way around the input shaft. My fault I know I should have checked it better before I paid for it. Luckily the girl at the counter let me return it without having the $1 a day warranty. Hopes of having 2 wheel drive crushed, for now. I know I've done tons more since I've had it back. Anyway it SHOULD be on the road in the next 2 weeks if all goes to plan and the rest of my parts show up but we'll see. I'll get some better pics up after I get it out of my cramped garage

These are me and my sons bulldogs, father and son, Hank and Bobby i tell you what. Just thought I'd throw it in here.

​​​​​

Painted and Installed

Cut about 1 inch off the top of the shifter and used an old xj shift **** and plastic internal shaft to get the shifter down low. The brake lever is for the hand throttle im waiting on cables

GTP hood vents and new interior light lenses. $5

Last edited by zjchief; 02-09-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Progress so far

Got this from the pull a part for free

Factory foglights, trimmed bumper,new Rubicon express steering stabilizer, RE Trac bar, KOR radiator support for

Gtp hood vents

Had to replace one tire due to a cut all the way around. Lucky the new tire only has about 2mm difference tread depth. Power stop caliper peaking through

Got a CRT performance ignition upgrade cap, rotor, 8mm wires, and 45k coil on it's way. Hopefully some shorty headers in the near future.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:26 PM

710s from a Lincoln Town car, they weren't bad but swapped in some 943s and it screams now

CRT performance ignition upgrade 45k coil

Cleaned tank, new fuel pump

Reinstall gas tank and pull a part scored factory skid plate

Factory tcase and front skid plates from pull a part $5

First time off road in 4 years, and back on road since I bought it back last may.

Last edited by zjchief; 04-10-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:00 PM

Default OlllllllO

OllllllO

Last edited by zjchief; 10-21-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:16 PM

Default New parts finally

So this jeep is built primarily from old junk from the local pull a part yard with a few new parts mixed in. As expected some of the parts failed and since October I've been gathering new parts to get it going again. Not much but way better than before.

​​trail forged 1 ton steeringOptima red top
120 amp alternatorNew power steering pumpNew water pumpNew 943 injectorsAdjustable upper control arms f+rNew Aluminum 3 core radiatorNew Heater coreNew fuel filtersNp231j from xj front drive shaft Rebuilt my np249

Just got it all installed and plan on taking it out this weekend for a rip. Np231j tcase rebuild with new input shaft and install coming soon with hack n tap and front driveshaft. Working on building a winch mount and saving up for a winch. Always on the lookout at the yard for a hp Dana 30 and that will be the extent of the "build" on this thing. Just want it to be a good driving weekend warrior. Pics after the trip this weekend

Quick Reply: ZJ Resurrection