Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WI 2DR XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default WI 2DR XJ

Hello! Lets start by saying, yes, I am new to this forum. However, I've been using it since about September '15 to help fix up my old pile and watch some of your builds.
This is my 1995 with a 4.0 and 5-speed. I bought it back in September because I've always wanted an xj (my first Jeep). When I bought it the old clunker was running on 3 cylinders due to a blown water pump and a VERY warped head, the worst death wobble I've EVER experienced, mismatched sized tires, and some random wiring issues here and there.

My Repairs So Far:
Thicker HG after having a local shop, CNS, machine it down
Water pump
Pushrods and lifters
Moog track bar and stabilizer
Crown tie rod and drag link
New fuel tank (popped it climbing snow banks)

What I'd Like To Do This Year:
3" RC susp lift with 31x10.50r15
Nates4x4 front bumper with rear tire carrier
Before all else, fix my ridiculous amount of floor and rocker rust.

There you have it plain and simple. The idea is, now that this thread is going, I'll be more inclined to document my work here. If you guys and gals have any questions about work I have done or recommendations on what I have planned or what I SHOULD have planned, let me know.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but you might consider skipping one of the bumpers and putting that money towards a better non RC lift, or least not using rough country shocks since most people change those out within a few months any way. But this looks like a good platform for a build and big props to you for fixing it up and keeping it alive.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but you might consider skipping one of the bumpers and putting that money towards a better non RC lift, or least not using rough country shocks since most people change those out within a few months any way. But this looks like a good platform for a build and big props to you for fixing it up and keeping it alive.
Thanks! Im use to wrenching on bikes and imports so this is a world of difference and I like it a lot more.
As far as suspension lifts go what do you have in mind for a nice 3"? I was under the impression rough country was decent.
I am looking for a 'one and done' lift kit. So shocks, springs, shackles, full leafs, and control arms. ~$500

Last edited by Pporter; 03-17-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pporter

Thanks! Im use to wrenching on bikes and imports so this is a world of difference and I like it a lot more.
As far as suspension lifts go what do you have in mind for a nice 3"? I was under the impression rough country was decent.
I am looking for a 'one and done' lift kit. So shocks, springs, shackles, full leafs, and control arms. ~$500
Yeah rough country is "decent" by most standards but if you are going to spend time and money on your vehicle you might as well get something that you like for a while and not change it all out in less than a year. A lot of people like rusty's lifts, just not their track bar, and I am partial to iron rock off road, Rubicon express is also a good one, you'll probably pay a little more but the quality is worth it in my opinion and then you get to talk smack on Rough Country lol
Old 03-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Yeah rough country is "decent" by most standards but if you are going to spend time and money on your vehicle you might as well get something that you like for a while and not change it all out in less than a year. A lot of people like rusty's lifts, just not their track bar, and I am partial to iron rock off road, Rubicon express is also a good one, you'll probably pay a little more but the quality is worth it in my opinion and then you get to talk smack on Rough Country lol
Now you have me seriously considering the Rustys. A little less than I expected to pay also. What are the common complaints from them? And just to satisfy my curiosity what is it exactly that makes the RC shocks so undesirable?
Honestly, I'm sure the Rubicon Express makes fantastic products but this xj is my winter beater/ weekend wheeler. Its not allowed to spend that much of my money lol.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pporter
Now you have me seriously considering the Rustys. A little less than I expected to pay also. What are the common complaints from them? And just to satisfy my curiosity what is it exactly that makes the RC shocks so undesirable?
Honestly, I'm sure the Rubicon Express makes fantastic products but this xj is my winter beater/ weekend wheeler. Its not allowed to spend that much of my money lol.
I have no personal experience with RC but I'll tell you what I read that steered me away, they ride rough, leak, break, and don't handle well. The main problem I've heard about rustys is someone had their track bar break on the road and in the past I think I read something about their customer service being bad, most likely both of these issues have been resolved, I have an IRO lift and can't complain the coils paired with 5100s are very firm and ride nice and stable on the road, so much so I don't even run a front sway bar and have very minimal body roll over stock.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Look into Zone. And look into any rust issues as well.

Welcome to CF BTW.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:35 PM

I have no personal experience with RC but I'll tell you what I read that steered me away, they ride rough, leak, break, and don't handle well. The main problem I've heard about rustys is someone had their track bar break on the road and in the past I think I read something about their customer service being bad, most likely both of these issues have been resolved, I have an IRO lift and can't complain the coils paired with 5100s are very firm and ride nice and stable on the road, so much so I don't even run a front sway bar and have very minimal body roll over stock.
Ok, I'll look around for some more reviews and info on the rustys too.
Hopefully I'll get to the lift soon but, like mentioned in my original, my floor rust is top priority. We're just waiting for it to warm up enough around here to start the project.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 AM

UPDATE!
So originally the plan was to take care of the rust first. I didn't. Instead I ended up going with a 4.5" Zone lift with full leaf packs and a set of 31's on 15s. I will install the lift after I get an adj. track bar, pitman arm, and some new brake lines--weather permitting.
If anybody from the snowy states has any pointers on how to break the rusty bolts loose I'm all ears. PB blaster just doesn't understand what its up against.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90

PB blaster and heat.
Soak everything in PB, then after it's had a chance to soak in, apply heat in the form of a handheld propane torch. Soak again, heat again til the bolts break loose and turn.