Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red-Yeti

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Red-Yeti

Not sure about all of this. Been on this site awhile not and its by far one of the best cherokee fourms. So i decided i will try and start my own build thread. Ive had my hero for about two years now.

this is my first day with yeti
1998 cherokee sport with 120,000 miles on it. Got it for $2,500 i felt like i got a steal. The guy i got it from just replaced the radiator water pump hoses everything that had to do with the cooling he replaced and had all the reciepts.

so i had to just take it off road

So i did some looking and some thinking and went with the rustys 3in kit full leafs. got the tc drop and a new steering stabalizer. got the hd springs.

so with some familys help and some elbow grease got to work didnt take as many pictures of this as i wanted.

after

got new tires and an allignment then too.

not long after that was my birthday and my wonderful girlfriend got me some goodies.

they were the black rock lobo series wheels river raider high lift seat mount and a handle isolator

in that time i also painted my rock panels with that spray on bed liner. dont care much for me about to get it professionally rhino lined.

just out messin around

i work for a float service on the buffalo national river in Arkansas in the summers so i got me a yakima canoe rack.

some more adventures

got me a riding buddy next

his name is Helo

I traded in my cooper at3s for some kuhmo road venture mts and tested them out

i like my khumos but this is my daily driver and im thinkin about going back to the at3s or going to the cooper st maxx.

Future plans include:

Front and rear bumpers
upper and lower control arms
a roof basket
a light bar of some kind not sure what i want yet
redo the headliner
redo the rock panels in bedliner.
cb radio and antenna
something with my rear storage( not exactly sure yet)
zj tie rod swap
quick discos

Reading other threads on her really make me want to hurry up and get to building.

my other hobby includes this

i love living in Arkansas.
WOO PIG SOOIE!!
Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM

im starting to rub on the back of my wheel well anyone got any ideas as to my never happend till now. and its only on the drvier side
Old 05-29-2015, 01:37 PM

anyone have any advice or recommendations on a bumper? A little nervous about cutting the panel
Old 05-29-2015, 07:10 PM

Year: 1996

I would build one if you can and make it exactly what you want.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by MadDog5.56
I would build one if you can and make it exactly what you want.
yeah im not much of a fabricator haha
Old 06-01-2015, 09:51 AM

Didnt work on the jeep this weekend like i had planned. Spent the whole weekend on two wheels for an adventure. I plan on doing the headliner sometime soon. Mine is sagging like an 80yr olds ****.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Replaced my valve cover gasket and the O-rings in my oil filter adapter. They were leaking like a siv. The oil filter adapter O-rings were a PITA. I work at a chrysler dodge and jeep dealership in the parts and got to use the shop and got the valve cover gasket done in no time but i couldnt get the adpater off here and none of the other guys could either. So i took it to my house and was trying and had a buddy come over to help and he had it off in 5mins. Going back on was a different story. You dont really have enough roomto get anything in there to get leverage or to turn it far enough.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM

tough crowd tough crowd haha
Old 06-08-2015, 09:59 AM

just got my build ship lets see if i can upload this. I work for a jeep dealership in the parts so it wasnt that hard for me to get it. Im at work now shhhhh

Old 06-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff man. Every time I see a 98 I get envious of the full length roof rails. You ever figure out which bumper you were gonna go with?

If things work out, I may be up your way this summer. I've got a lot of friends who live in Conway and we've talked about doing the Buffalo.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by RedStar
Great stuff man. Every time I see a 98 I get envious of the full length roof rails. You ever figure out which bumper you were gonna go with?

If things work out, I may be up your way this summer. I've got a lot of friends who live in Conway and we've talked about doing the Buffalo.
thanks for checking out the thread! Right on! Well if you do come up be sure to float with Buffalo River Float Service! Its the only way to go! Where do you live? I think when i get the funds im thinking of one of two options. 1.) Just get some brush guard or push bar for the front with a front end tie in and get a tire carrier bumper for the rear or 2.) get a new front and rear bumpers lol. Im leaning more towards the JCR diy bumper for the front and rear. I thought about the rear and trying to fabb something else with it to support a tire carrier.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:22 AM

that is if you float the lower half of the Buffalo and not the upper. Personally ive never floated the upper but i hear its rougher than our section of river.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by zach128
thanks for checking out the thread! Right on! Well if you do come up be sure to float with Buffalo River Float Service! Its the only way to go! Where do you live? I think when i get the funds im thinking of one of two options. 1.) Just get some brush guard or push bar for the front with a front end tie in and get a tire carrier bumper for the rear or 2.) get a new front and rear bumpers lol. Im leaning more towards the JCR diy bumper for the front and rear. I thought about the rear and trying to fabb something else with it to support a tire carrier.
I live in North Alabama now but I'm originally from North Misssissippi. One of my best friends was a Sig Ep at UCA and I met a lot of cool people every time I headed up there to visit him. I almost accepted a grad school offer from UCA before I decided I was tired of school haha.

I had a really hard time deciding which bumper/bumper combo I wanted to go with too. I bet I went back and forth for 3 months before I decided on JCR. I have a Detours rear tire carrier so ultimately a rear bumper didn't matter as much and I just spent all my money on the best front bumper I could find. I'm a little pickier than most and I picked JCR because they seemed to care about aesthetics as much as they do functionality.

Dirtbound has an almost identical bumper to the JCR Defender but it has the unibody tie-ins built in. http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/barr...erokee-xj.html

It's a little more expensive, but occasionally Smittybilt will run a deal on their front and rear bumpers. If you buy both at the same time they'll throw in a pair of their sliders ($499) for free. I think they actually just got done running that promo a few days ago, but they typically run it 2-3 times per year. I've heard their rear bumpers are a PITA to get on, but hold up really well in the long run.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:42 AM

Yeah I feel ya on the whole sick of school thing lol. My wife's family is from I guess you can call it North Mississippi. I think they live about two hours south of Memphis. Best to float the buffalo on a weekday unless you're into the getting smashed on the river with tons of people then saturdays would be good for you haha. Yeah ultimately i think im going to go with the jcr front bumper. How does that tire carrier of yours work? do you like it?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by zach128
Yeah I feel ya on the whole sick of school thing lol. My wife's family is from I guess you can call it North Mississippi. I think they live about two hours south of Memphis. Best to float the buffalo on a weekday unless you're into the getting smashed on the river with tons of people then saturdays would be good for you haha. Yeah ultimately i think im going to go with the jcr front bumper. How does that tire carrier of yours work? do you like it?
I don't even use it anymore to be honest. It rattles and wobbles like crazy so I just took it off. I had it ratchet strapped to my roof crossbar for a while but I got tired of doing that every time I wanted in or out of the back hatch. I'll probably use it when I hit the trails this summer, but not for every day use.

I wish I'd just spent the money on a full back bumper instead.