Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Starting Over

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Project Starting Over

Let's start off with the before story:

For my 15th birthday, I paid 100 and my parents paid 400 for my dream car which was a 93, 4 door, hunter metallic green Jeep Cherokee Sport. I grew up going to Paragon in cherokees, so the itch was imminent. It needed some work which is why we got it so early. I wasn't earning that much money and I pay for all that I do so i cut the fenders, put 31 inch BFG A/Ts on and bedlined the interior and rockers. Just a lot of maintaining and caring involved. Well, that all hit a horrible brick wall(or tree) when I was driving on a rocky back road and lost control, where I had to choose to roll it or drive it straight into the forest. I chose the forest and braced. We hit two trees dead on then rolled onto the driver's side. It sat there for 3 days until we could tow it home. It was nowhere near salvageable. To top that off, I was fired that same week.

Then the new search began, and quickly ended. My father came across an extremely clean 97 base model 4 door on a back road. My dad went and talked to the guy who wanted $1200 for it and told my dad to bring me buy. We went over the next day and talked him down to $950 and made the deal. I had to wait a very impatient two weeks while he was on vacation to get it, and it was finally mine the day after my 17th birthday. Now, two weeks later I'm going to buy ZJ seats for it and the real work will begin.

I'll get pictures up later today or tomorrow and list more details and most likely ask questions. Let the madness begin
Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM

Well, I guess you could say I made my first major purchases today. I went out and got power seats out of a '95 ZJ and the muffler and tailpipe off of it as well. $40 for the seats and $25 for a flowmaster 50 series with the tailpipe. Bigger pipe and nice breathing should lead to a better sound and a slight gain in MPG which is needed. It's also not allowing me to upload pictures so that'll have to wait
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Well, it's still not allowing me to post any pictures. Today I sold some parts off the old jeep and checked to make sure my grand cherokee exhuast will fit and it seems to be able to clear so that's a go. I got my hitch back from my dad who cut the bolts off at his shop so I can clean that up and throw it on the new one now.

I can't decide if I want to go through the hassle of putting the power seats in or turning around and selling them for a large profit and spending the money elsewhere on the jeep.

Any opinions on that? Also, would anybody know why I can't post images?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM

Well, more progress is in the process of being made. A guy in my area needs the doors off my old cherokee and he happens to have 15x8 American Racing wheels with 31 inch Geolander MTs on them and a Spectre CAI that he's offering as a trade. Good deal?

The rims look like this, the site still isn't let me post pictures that I took on my phone so I'm going to try and use a URL. The ones he has have a black lip rather than all chrome.

Once my dad's shop has power again, he's taking my exhaust in to weld it back together as well.

I've also noticed that my headlights are very, very weak. Should I invest in the H4 swap or just change headlights?
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM

The fact that I can't upload pictures is hindering this becoming a legitimate build thread, but I spent about 2 hours on a 300 yard fishing trail with a buddy in a ranger. We just would go back and forth and eventually it got muddy enough for some slingin and slippin

I hit my front bumper on a rock and it popped my front driver's side flare off slightly but it doesn't really bother me. She's covered in mud and I learned that she is pretty capable. Quite happy with her
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CherokeeJon
Well, more progress is in the process of being made. A guy in my area needs the doors off my old cherokee and he happens to have 15x8 American Racing wheels with 31 inch Geolander MTs on them and a Spectre CAI that he's offering as a trade. Good deal?

The rims look like this, the site still isn't let me post pictures that I took on my phone so I'm going to try and use a URL. The ones he has have a black lip rather than all chrome.

Once my dad's shop has power again, he's taking my exhaust in to weld it back together as well.

I've also noticed that my headlights are very, very weak. Should I invest in the H4 swap or just change headlights?
Those wheels are called "outlaw II's"... The are very good wheels for wheeling (had a set on my old Yota for a long time and beat the crap out of them and they held up beautifully!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6 torque monster w/ a supercharger

Originally Posted by CherokeeJon
H4 swap with 90/100w bulbs and that Putco harness will probably be the "best bang for the buck". The Sylvania Silverstars are worthless IMHO.

As for posting pics... I've found that Photobucket works quite well. I have Photobucket Pro just because I take a ton of pics. LOL.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Well, I had some spare time finally so I figured I'd post up pictures and give a full update on this since I rarely do. I also need the motivation lol

Well, let's start off with it's first voyage stock:
Name:  002_zps01902c30.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  151.3 KB

Then came the tires and wheels:
Name:  069_zps4082dd7b.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  175.8 KB

Shortly following the tires and wheels, the rear flares came off and I found a fellow jeeper when I parked for work one night:
Name:  050_zps6adc4604.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  99.3 KB

Then I made a nice trade on a bored 60mm throttle body, which if anyone was wondering does make a difference:
Name:  008_zps5036008f.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  56.4 KB

And now, what my dumb*** self did recently. An hour and a half of night snow wheeling with no damage but then I pull into my buddies driveway and slide on ice into his rear end. I now need a header panel, lights, and bezels and to decide what to do with my bumper, along with buy him a new taillight:
Name:  066_zpsa084b3a8.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  116.4 KB

Hopefully my work schedule remains as constant as it is, and if money allows these are my next plans:

-Finish piecing together my 4 inch lift and install
-Cut front fenders and bedline lips of front and rear along with the lower door section
-Install my amp and sub that I have sitting around
-Install my flowmaster 50 series since my muffler literally just imploded this week
-Find 32s for when I get the lift installed
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 PM

I guess it's a small update. We took my muffler and tailpipe out since that imploded a few weeks back, currently driving without a muffler because my dad has to take the grand cherokee tailpipe to cut and weld it to fit. It's droney as all hell but I have to deal with it.

I also might go ahead and cut and fold the rear quarters since half of the passenger side one is rusted out. Opinions?