Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project - 5-speed buys a beater

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Project - 5-speed buys a beater

Well here we are, yet again. This is now XJ #6 for me. Unlike my last 2 builds I have posted on here, this is going to be a slow build. Think of it more as a restoration project.

I got this XJ off a member on here who just happened to live a couple houses down the street. What are the chances... he wanted out, I wanted back in so we made a deal.

Fast forward, I drive it home and start doing normal maintenance on it. After I changed some gaskets and verified they solved some leaks, I shut it off. When I fired it back up, it was knocking like crazy. So ya thats that.

Anyways, the jeep is already lifted, good wheels and tires and no rust so the bones are good. Everything need attention though which is why I decided on more of a full restoration. It's a lower mileage (140k) vehicle thay is loaded with factory options yet has no power windows or locks. I have all records and even the original window sticker.

Anyways, here it is. The 1987 XJ. More to come.

Last edited by 5-Speed; 02-15-2022 at 10:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 5-Speed:
Corky (02-14-2022), EvanM (02-14-2022), Old Man Minimalist (02-15-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

First thing first, solve the main issues to get it back on the road. Big one, rebuild the engine. No big deal. Its cheap and easy but time consuming. This will be the fourth Jeep 4.0L I have rebuilt. The other bigger, not so big though, is the trans. Besides it leaking from everywhere, it stays in 4th while in drive but functions fine in 1-2. So a reseal and solenoids are in its future. This will be the same time I do the sye and probably reclocking of the t-case. From there, maybe in the middle of, I will tackle the ac and heat situation. It has neither right now.... from there, I will move on to the suspension, which I haven't fully decided what I'm going to do. Keep it cheap and simple or go all out with coilovers, long arms out front and a 4 link in the rear. Got plenty of time to figure that part out. And finally, after all that is situated, interior and paint. Stay tuned, the fun will begin shortly, when I can find the time haha.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:44 AM

Received 157 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Nice buy. I like the lack of rust. That will be what I will want. The rest of it doesn't scare me. I will probably do a restoration of sorts on mine depending on what I get. Keep posting your progress.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Old Man Minimalist
Nice buy. I like the lack of rust. That will be what I will want. The rest of it doesn't scare me. I will probably do a restoration of sorts on mine depending on what I get. Keep posting your progress.
Thanks! I have yet to own a XJ with any rust. About the one nice thing about living in CA haha. Very glad about that cause I see all the nightmares on here about rust! No thanks.

For anyone who wants to see the last 2 XJs I have built, see here. This one will take the best of both builds and put it into one Jeep.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...-99-xj-231532/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...t-auto-240930/
The following users liked this post:
Old Man Minimalist (02-16-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 11:25 PM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

Originally Posted by 5-Speed

I love the AMC logo that incorporates the "Low Fuel" warning light.
As an AMC FSJ owner myself, I find that kinda funny, and ironic at the same time.

Nice find, and I think it has great bones for sure!
5-Speed (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 07:12 AM

Received 157 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks! I have yet to own a XJ with any rust. About the one nice thing about living in CA haha. Very glad about that cause I see all the nightmares on here about rust! No thanks.
I would travel to CA to buy a rust free one if that is what it takes. Will try a little closer to home first but I already now I will probably have to look primarily out west or in the southwest.

Nice builds you have done there.

Last edited by Old Man Minimalist; 02-16-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DustyWagoneer
I love the AMC logo that incorporates the "Low Fuel" warning light.
As an AMC FSJ owner myself, I find that kinda funny, and ironic at the same time.

Nice find, and I think it has great bones for sure!
I actually never noticed that! Pretty cool! I need to make it out your way one of these days to see all the Jeep projects you have going on!

The PO did get a cluster with the tach in it. Not sure if I want to swap it out or not, mostly no because the miles dont match. Being an auto, I dont really see a huge need for a tach. My ears will have to work for now.

Originally Posted by Old Man Minimalist
I would travel to CA to buy a rust free one if that is what it takes. Will try a little closer to home first but I already now I will probably have to look primarily out west or in the southwest.

Nice builds you have done there.
Buy mine before I start tearing into it haha.
Old Man Minimalist (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 303 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The PO did get a cluster with the tach in it. Not sure if I want to swap it out or not, mostly no because the miles dont match.
If the cluster with the tach has a tripmeter like the original the odometer will be a direct swap over. If it doesn't you should be able to remove the trip from your original but I'm not sure about that. When I swapped mine my odometer didn't have trip but the new cluster did so I just used a piece of electrical tape for the time being so light doesn't come through the trip cutouts.

Also, the main reason I swapped was to gain gauges, instead of idiot lights, which you already have so.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Spencer_P
If the cluster with the tach has a tripmeter like the original the odometer will be a direct swap over. If it doesn't you should be able to remove the trip from your original but I'm not sure about that. When I swapped mine my odometer didn't have trip but the new cluster did so I just used a piece of electrical tape for the time being so light doesn't come through the trip cutouts.

Also, the main reason I swapped was to gain gauges, instead of idiot lights, which you already have so.
So I can use the speedo guts from my original and put them in my other cluster? Both have the trip portion. If so, thats awesome. Might try to tackle it this weekend.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 303 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

So I can use the speedo guts from my original and put them in my other cluster? Both have the trip portion. If so, thats awesome. Might try to tackle it this weekend.
Yes. Here is my thread on the subject, looking back on it I don't think it'll be much help but figured I'd link it anyhow. Since both of yours have trip you should be able to pop the needles off with a fork covered in electrical tape so you don't scratch the faces and just put the face from the new cluster onto your odo/speedo. Or if you're lucky and the faces are the same just undo the 2 or 4 screws from behind and swap out the whole assembly. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2022, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

6 month update - there is no update. Its too hot out to do anything on the Jeep. I should have my house all back together by the time the cool weather shows back up and then I will be starting on the Jeep. I have sold 5 cars in the past couple months so I literally have no car projects besides the Jeep now. All my other vehicles are "done" being modded, kinda. That means I should actually have time to get back on this soon!
Old 12-21-2022, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

10 month update - there is no update once again. Haha. The house project has taken way longer than expected. I am making progress but its very slow. Laying tile is no fun. On top of that, I keep buying stuff for my Supra to prep it for next years race season which seems to be my priority over everything else. I think the Supra projects will be done this weekend since I actually get some time off work for once. Then I can finally get back to finishing the house, then finally to the Jeep. My 4 year old keeps asking me to work on the Jeep so I really need to make it happen soon, like before summer hits. I do miss hitting all the trails by my house.

Anyways, I will at least leave you guys with one picture of the almost done Supra.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 month update - there is no update once again. Haha. The house project has taken way longer than expected. I am making progress but its very slow. Laying tile is no fun. On top of that, I keep buying stuff for my Supra to prep it for next years race season which seems to be my priority over everything else. I think the Supra projects will be done this weekend since I actually get some time off work for once. Then I can finally get back to finishing the house, then finally to the Jeep. My 4 year old keeps asking me to work on the Jeep so I really need to make it happen soon, like before summer hits. I do miss hitting all the trails by my house.

Anyways, I will at least leave you guys with one picture of the almost done Supra.
Nice supra ! We need new updates for the Jeep

Last edited by Gordon Mayer; 12-23-2022 at 02:12 PM.