Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 2 door

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2001 2 door

Hi all,

I should have started this thread long ago to document my progress with this jeep. It is my third jeep I have owned. The first was a black 1996 2 door cherokee with the ax-15, the second was a 1987 comanche, and now this one.

A little info about this jeep.

I found it on craigslist and bought a one way ticket to Denver (from SLC) to go and buy it. I paid 4700, it had 89,5XX (dont remember exactly) miles on it when I picked it up. I ended up turning over 90k miles on the drive back into Utah. It was bone stock except for a 3" lift that the PO had previously installed. It drove so smooth and was extremely clean, especially the interior, so I bought it (didnt have much choice seeing as I bought a one way ticket out there ). It has the NV 3550 5 speed. It also has the low pinon TJ dana 30 up front? (not sure about this).

Upgrades I have done since purchasing it:

New tires and wheels: cheep MTs about 32" by 9.5" with moab wheels
skid plate up front
jcr vanguard front bumper with unibody tie ins
slipyoke eliminator kit with tom woods rear driveshaft + correction of rear pinon angle
kellys works in progress heavy duty wiring kit
new headlights with wiring harness
cb radio and antenna
receiver hitch in the rear
Yakima mega warrior roof rack

I will try and post some more pics for you guys soon.

Also hopefully I will be getting some new gears before my next desert trip. I plan to change from the stock 3.07s to 4.10s. I have real trouble with 5th gear when the vehicle is weighed down with gear. Has anyone swapped to 4.10s in their 5-speed? How do you like it?

Thanks for reading!

P.S. Tips for re-sizing photos??

Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Man that XJ is clean! Nice and simple. My next one will definitely be a 2 door.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You are not going to believe this! I was ON MY WAY from South Dakota to buy this, when the guy called me back and said someone was flying in to buy it! I was so bummed! Ended up with the Yellow 4 door I have now. Glad to see it being taken care off.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Thanks! Gotta love the 2 doors.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:23 PM

No way!? What a small world. Great looking 4 door by the way.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 01twodoor
No way!? What a small world. Great looking 4 door by the way.
Well, I was hoping for a two door Thanks, lots of work has been put into her!
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM

Year: 2000 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Wow you guys gotta get those two XJs together now and take them for a spin. What are your plans for the two door? cant wait to see more updates on this one.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Esechuy
Wow you guys gotta get those two XJs together now and take them for a spin. What are your plans for the two door? cant wait to see more updates on this one.
Thanks, I am excited to see where it goes as well.

Short term plans include a rear bumper (possibly this one https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJ/XJRC.html ), new gears (either 4.10s or 4.56s I'm not sure which), front brakes, and some exterior lights. Then just drive it and have fun for a while, I don't currently have the funds to do much else.

Long term plans include a couple of bank breakers like this http://genright.com/products/jeep-xj...-30-5-gal.html , lockers front and rear, maybe the teralow kit for the np231, and a paint job. I don't really know how much of this will happen in the near future but I am okay with it being a long term project.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 PM

I just got done installing that gen right tank. Im happy so far although ive only put 10 miles on it since. Only issue i hace is my fuel vent tube leaking (new one will be here Wednesday) and my exhaust hits the tank so i have to get a new tail pipe made. Im heading to Moab in 3 weeks and wanted the extra fuel. I figured for what a good skid and 10 gallons worth of extra fuel cans and mounts cost it wasnt much more to do it right with the tank. Very nice looking XJ might pick up a 2 door one of these days.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 PM

Year: 2000 Sport

I too am trying to decide between the jcr and the smitty built bumpers. I like the cube light cutouts on the crusader. I hope one day I get to take my cherokee to moab maybe one day ill tag along with someone from here. By the way if you ever want to check out my build thread on your spare time you can see it here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...ction-4038330/ im trying to post here in cherokee forum but no luck just says it needs to get approved.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 01EXPOXJ
I just got done installing that gen right tank. Im happy so far although ive only put 10 miles on it since. Only issue i hace is my fuel vent tube leaking (new one will be here Wednesday) and my exhaust hits the tank so i have to get a new tail pipe made. Im heading to Moab in 3 weeks and wanted the extra fuel. I figured for what a good skid and 10 gallons worth of extra fuel cans and mounts cost it wasnt much more to do it right with the tank. Very nice looking XJ might pick up a 2 door one of these days.
It definitely seems like a great investment, especially for those extended trips. How did you find the install? Pretty straight forward?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM

Got a quote on 4.10 gears and labor. 2000$. The shop said if I wanted to do a locker they would do that as well and not charge additional labor. Does this sound like a reasonable price??
Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 01twodoor
It definitely seems like a great investment, especially for those extended trips. How did you find the install? Pretty straight forward?
pretty straight forward, very hard to do by yourself. I would recommend 2 people, I did it by myself as I do almost everything and it was hard and frustrating getting it lined up. I am going to drill and tap treads in my stiffeners in the forward most mounting holes as I think it would be a good idea. right now the driver side just has the 3 rear holes holding it up. PM me and ill tell you a way you might be able to save some $ on the tank when your ready to order.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 01EXPOXJ
pretty straight forward, very hard to do by yourself. I would recommend 2 people, I did it by myself as I do almost everything and it was hard and frustrating getting it lined up. I am going to drill and tap treads in my stiffeners in the forward most mounting holes as I think it would be a good idea. right now the driver side just has the 3 rear holes holding it up. PM me and ill tell you a way you might be able to save some $ on the tank when your ready to order.
Thanks for the info. Really? Awesome, I will message you when the time comes.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:59 PM

Went ahead with the 4.10 gears and also threw in an ARB locker for the rear while I was at it with the CKMA12 compressor so I can air up tires faster. Parts should arrive some time next week.