Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '98 XJ sport build

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My '98 XJ sport build

this is my first car, and I couldn't be happier that I found these. Being a guy, I looked around at several trucks, broncos, large SUVs, and finally...XJs. I fell in love and ended up with a 1998 Jeep cherokee sport with 103k miles on it. It needs some work, but most of it has been taken care of(clutch, AC, rear hatch latch, brakes all around). Its a 5 speed and came with the snow board rack. Not sure I'll ever use it, but it looks alright for now. I'm not sure what the colors called, but it seems to be rare and I think its one of the best colors I've seen on an XJ.

here she is when I brought her home.

my to-do list:
-Rubicon Express 3.5" lift kit (complete with new rear leaf springs)
-Pro Comp black steel Wheels from 4 wheel parts
-31" tires
-remove side trim peices
-4 new speakers(3 of them are currently out)

anyways, I'll update this with pictures as I get things done. I thought I'd get a thread started as things will be taking place very soon here.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

hey i had that color loved it but love my red one more...do work
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

nicee, you already have recovery points in the front with those tow hooks lol
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by JWB37
this is my first car, ....
Very nice! You should be happy with that one.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

I think i'll watch this one. GREAT color
Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright guys, i have the lift in the garage, but i still need to get some wheels and tires(goodyear dura-trac) before i install it. In the mean time ive put in a new head unit and speakers. JVC up front and Kicker DS60 speakers all around. I painted the speaker grills in the back flat black. I think it looks a lot nicer. Definately sounds nicer. No need for an amp. It gets loud enough and has pretty nice bass.

This update is more to keep this thread alive, so heres some pics

Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Lift in yet? I'm really considering replacing my Rusty's lift with the RE 3.5 w/ OME shocks.
And yeah, that's a great color. You'll love those tires, too.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Member

All the parts....(minus leaf springs)

LIFT IS FINALLY ON!!!!

@biceps McRipped, I don't know what the Rusty's lift rides like, but I can tell you that the RE rides really smooth. I haven't driven mine yet, but when we did my dads with the same kit, it rode awesome. That was with Pro-comp ES3000 shocks, but non the less, the overall ride was pretty nice on the road. I recommends getting new shocks if your going to be in there anyway. They're only $30-$40 a piece and are worth it IMHO.

ok, before pics, heres the list of everything done so far,

-JVC head unit
-4 new Kicker DS 60 speakers (pretty good overall quality and sound for the price)
-removed the trim pieces
-RE 3.5in lift kit. complete with new rear leaf springs, lower control arms, track bar, ect...(full kit)
-Pro-Comp ES3000 shocks
-pro-comp steel wheels with a good offset (I think they look great for about $50 a piece)
-Pro-comp A/T 31" tires

Got a better deal with the Pro-Comp tires over the duratracs. From what I've read the PCs are great tires also so I'm not really bothered. They still look great.

It just got finished tonight, so better pics will come in the day time.

LIFT IS FINALLY ON!!!!

@biceps McRipped, I don't know what the Rusty's lift rides like, but I can tell you that the RE rides really smooth. I haven't driven mine yet, but when we did my dads with the same kit, it rode awesome. That was with Pro-comp ES3000 shocks, but non the less, the overall ride was pretty nice on the road. I recommends getting new shocks if your going to be in there anyway. They're only $30-$40 a piece and are worth it IMHO.

ok, before pics, heres the list of everything done so far,

-JVC head unit
-4 new Kicker DS 60 speakers (pretty good overall quality and sound for the price)
-removed the trim pieces
-RE 3.5in lift kit. complete with new rear leaf springs, lower control arms, track bar, ect...(full kit)
-pro-comp steel wheels with a good offset (I think they look great for about $50 a piece)
-Pro-comp A/T 31" tires

Got a better deal with the Pro-Comp tires over the duratracs. From what I've read the PCs are great tires also so I'm not really bothered. They still look great.

It just got finished tonight, so better pics will come in the day time.

took the trim off and it looks MUCH better. Just before we got it lifted.

and just for fun I took a picture while it was apart
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Seasoned Member

better pictures.

once I get it aligned I'll take it out for some better pics, but for now, this will have to do.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 PM

Engine: I6 4.0 Liter

Nice build.... You commented on mine the other day about taking the trim off...I think i'm going to do that...yours looks good!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

thanks man. Ya, removing the trim is a must for all cherokees IMO. I'm going take it to a lot so I can get some better pictures.

I know build threads are supposed to be never ending, but I feel stuck. What else should I do? This is my daily driver, but I will take it wheelin' from time to time. Has anyone had smog issues(in CA) after putting on aftermarket exhaust and intake? Also, what would you guys recommend doing first? the intake or the exhaust?
Old 09-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Engine: I6 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by JWB37
thanks man. Ya, removing the trim is a must for all cherokees IMO. I'm going take it to a lot so I can get some better pictures.

I know build threads are supposed to be never ending, but I feel stuck. What else should I do? This is my daily driver, but I will take it wheelin' from time to time. Has anyone had smog issues(in CA) after putting on aftermarket exhaust and intake? Also, what would you guys recommend doing first? the intake or the exhaust?
So what all did you do/use to remove the trim?

You could do LED conversion inside, exhaust/intake, bored throttle body, cb, or ARMOR! (All things I plan to do) All you have to do is flip through a Quadratec catalog or something similar and you will have plenty of ideas!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperXJ98
So what all did you do/use to remove the trim?

You could do LED conversion inside, exhaust/intake, bored throttle body, cb, or ARMOR! (All things I plan to do) All you have to do is flip through a Quadratec catalog or something similar and you will have plenty of ideas!
haha I do get plenty of 4 wheel parts catalogs in the mail to flip through. I'll have to take a picture of it, but they have a jeep on the back that looks exactly like mine, but has a roof rack with some lights on it. I found a front bumper that I really like so I'm going to start saving up for that. Then maybe intake and exhaust, and if I get into wheelin' enough, a winch. I'm also considering Bushwacker flat fender flair, but I'd still debating if they look better over stock.

As for the trim, I did it on a hot day so the double sided foam tape came off fairly easy. The ends were starting to come up, so I just ripped it off, wiped off the dust, and soaked it in some solvent(WD40) for a little bit. I started using my thumb to roll it off, but my thumb got raw so I used a rag. It was time consuming but it came right off, didn't hurt the paint, and you can hardly tell it was ever there.

And here are some better pictures that I promised:

Can anyone tell me what rear axle I have? and if its one of the good ones? I've been trying to find info on rear axles and my head is spinning...

I'm also trying to figure out what transfer case I have and if its a good one, but again, overwhelmed with info. I'm new to all of this, but ready to learn!

Last edited by JWB37; 09-29-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM

You have a 29 spline 8.25 axle,'not the worst axle, locker and gearing options are limited but for what you seem to want to do it will be fine, mine held up welded on 35's until I swapped it out
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks man, I appreciate the info. The max I'll probably ever go with tires is 32s on this if I change it to a 4.5in lift later down the road. Plus I prefer scenic trails with the occasional fun obstacle. I have a very rational fear of putting a good dent in this or breaking anything since its my only car, and probably will be for a long time.

Here is my front

Someone was telling me I had one of the better transfer cases, but I have no idea what it is. I tried googling the serial number but came up with nothing.

Quick Reply: My '98 XJ sport build