Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '92 XJ Laredo "Stormy"

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

This build has been going on for 7 years, 4 months, 1 week, and 2 days. So, i've got a bit of backtracking to do. I was looking for my first vehicle for my 16th b-day and knew i wanted an xj. After a little searching i got a Sunday paper and there was two candidates - an '89 xj limited for $1375 and a '92 xj Laredo for $1300. I called about the '92 and decided to look at it. I didn't even call about the '89. It had everything i was looking for - 4.0l, auto, 4x4, a/c, and was in good enough shape, so i went to take a look and fell in love. It, of course, had its faults, but seemed like a good vehicle. It had 172,xxx miles. The p.o. was a young girl that moved from Iowa, where the xj lived most its life. Her father had replaced the front/left axle u-joint earlier that day. It had some rust mainly the rockers, quarter panel behind rear tires, and a couple spots in the floor. It had been in a hail storm so it had quite a few small dings. A few things didn't work - driving lights on bumper, window washers, and few other things. It didnt overheat, the a/c worked, ran and drove well, and i saw the potential even though it was filthy inside and out. Also the p.o. worked at wal-mart and while it was in the parking lot somebody ran into the rear passengers side and broke the tail light and smashed that side of the bumper. It was parked just out of view of the cameras, so noone could be caught. She was brutally honest about its past. Her fiance was a volunteer fire fighter in Iowa. She told me he drove it threw mounds of snow, would floor it to get to emergencies, among other things. Anyway, i decided i wanted it and talked her down to $1100. From there we went on a several hour adventure to switch the title. She was very accommodating and went threw the whole thing to get it done. It did also pass an emission test with flying colors. There's probably more to the buying story, but its been seven years and i don't remember everything. I didn't have a camera for the first few years so i dont have many pics from that time, just ones from when i borrowed my moms camera. This will be a recap of what i've done to it in the past seven years and once i've caught up with current times it will continue. I love this jeep, and will never get rid of it. Here's Stormy right after i bought it (and a bath).

Sorry, my reception messed it up and sent it twice.