Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 95 XJ Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6 4.0 High Output
Default My 95 XJ Build

So i started off about 3 years ago with a stock 95 4 door xj 5spd. I'm finally to the point where parts are starting to need to be replaced so i figure what better time to just run with it and do work all around the car. I'll do my best to take before during and after pictures for everyone and anything you like let me know. I'll do my best to explain what ever.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Home brew outlets with inverter

So this is a mod that i had done about a month ago before i started seeing all of the home brew installs in the back that everyone was doing. I took an old belkin power inverter and did a hard install into the car.

Unfortunately i didn't take pics as i was doing it so i did pull the panels back to show what was done and will explain best i could. First thing i did was open up the housing for the inverter and extend all the existing leads for the power switch as well as the two outlets (if you do this leave plenty of extra wire incase you need to ever do work you'll have room to pull them out w out unplugging them). I also cut the head off of the cigarette plug.

Next step was to mount it. Fishing around i found a great spot under the passenger side lower dash panel. There are threaded posts there for an option that i don't have. So i took the inverter and rigged up a strap w an old leather belt. Enough to hold it and i know its not going to cause any vibration or shorts since its non metallic.

Next i had to find a home for the outlets. This took a few tries and thankfully i had a friend i was able to swap the panel out with because the first time i put them in the wrong spot. On the second go around i found a space in the same panel the inverter is mounted right next to the ash tray. The metal flashing made an almost perfect little pocket and i knew nothing was going to interfere with the back of the terminals. Only thing i had to do on the lower outlet was bend the terminals to the side because of the angle of the metal.

I used the actual holes from the inverter as a template for the holes so that they would be able to just click back in place. They were about 1"x1" plus a little nub on bottom for the ground. I market them out drilled along my lines w a small bit and just pressed a new razor blade through and was able to just trim them to size. (If you have a problem with them not holding dumb dumb or goop solves all)

Next i had to wire up a switch. You can leave them running all the time but it is electronic and like everything else heats up. The unit i have does have a fan built on but if i'm not using it why kill it.

I went right behind the right passenger vent with the wires. Drilled a hole in the glove compartment and ran the wires up through there. A quick trip to autozone for a cheap switch and i was good to go. Use any switch you want. I went with a blue led switch just so i knew if the power was on or not so i had an extra wire to run. But hooked up the leads and ran a ground right to the flashing under the dashboard with a machine screw.

Then as far as power went i pulled the head off the cigarette plug and actually spliced it in to the power lines running to my cig lighter. just remember what wire is what. Easy way to tell just look at what piece of the plug it was hooked up to. I stripped the wiring behind the lighter just enough to make a solid connection and electrical taped them in place. I could have went with another hard wire to the battery but i knew that this had the power to run the inverter and shut off with the car so no risk of killing the battery. Plus it keeps it very stock looking.

On to the next one.
Attached Images     
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 litre

where did you get those outlets?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by jeep bandit
where did you get those outlets?
I took a belkin power inverter and used the guts and housing to do the mod.

This is the inverter i used. Real simple one that is easy to get into and manipulate and its belkin so it takes a beating.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...BTkwCjCV1-CjCE