Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited slip Dana 35

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Limited slip Dana 35

Hello, my name is Tim and I am new to this site. I am also a newby to Jeep building. I have a 2001 XJ and I am wanting to build a nice little rug. I had to start with the rear axle because it was making a grinding sound. When I jacked it up and spun the tires the rotated in the opposite direction so I thought I had an open differential. Ordered some spider gears from Summit, watched a few videos and thought I was ready. When the gears came I popped the cover and was surprised when I removed the gears to find clutches. Seems it is a limited slip with very worn clutches. To shorten this up I got the correct kit and got them installed. ( that was a pain). My main question is not that they are installed I am not able to spin it and the gears move even without the pin. Is this normal or did I screw something else up? I am getting discouraged and I haven’t even got to the lift kit yet. Thank you for your replies.
Tim
Old 05-05-2018, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Tim Brown
Hello, my name is Tim and I am new to this site. I am also a newby to Jeep building. I have a 2001 XJ and I am wanting to build a nice little rug. I had to start with the rear axle because it was making a grinding sound. When I jacked it up and spun the tires the rotated in the opposite direction so I thought I had an open differential. Ordered some spider gears from Summit, watched a few videos and thought I was ready. When the gears came I popped the cover and was surprised when I removed the gears to find clutches. Seems it is a limited slip with very worn clutches. To shorten this up I got the correct kit and got them installed. ( that was a pain). My main question is not that they are installed I am not able to spin it and the gears move even without the pin. Is this normal or did I screw something else up? I am getting discouraged and I haven’t even got to the lift kit yet. Thank you for your replies.
Tim

Welcome to CF Tim! First off have you done gears before? I wouldn't even think about doing that and its not for the fainted heart my friend so if you knew what your doing then good on you but I would have left that to the professionals.

I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

By the way D35 isn't bad but it isn't great either. If I were you but you already spent some money into it would be swap it for C8.25 axle.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
Welcome to CF Tim! First off have you done gears before? I wouldn't even think about doing that and its not for the fainted heart my friend so if you knew what your doing then good on you but I would have left that to the professionals.

I hope you get it sorted out.
You don't need to set up gears to rebuild the limited slip you can do it without taking the carrier out. Even if you did remove the carrier all you would have to do is make sure the bearing caps and shims went back on the same sides they came out of.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:45 PM

I realize I do not have to setup the gears again but my main question is when I take the center pin out should I be able to rotate the differential and make the gears move? I am assuming that it will not because of the new clutches. I guess I will find out when I put it back together and hope it don’t break. If I break the gears I guess I will put a locker in it.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00t444e
You don't need to set up gears to rebuild the limited slip you can do it without taking the carrier out. Even if you did remove the carrier all you would have to do is make sure the bearing caps and shims went back on the same sides they came out of.

Like I said I have zero experience
Old 05-06-2018, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

How easily do the spider gears move? You should be able to turn them with the cross pin out but they should be tight and not turn easily. Did you measure the clutch pack thickness with a caliper and stack the new ones thicker than the old ones?
Old 05-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
How easily do the spider gears move? You should be able to turn them with the cross pin out but they should be tight and not turn easily. Did you measure the clutch pack thickness with a caliper and stack the new ones thicker than the old ones?
I did measure and the new clutches are thicker. My old ones were pretty worn and I was able to turn it until I put the shims behind the Spider gears.