Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Jeep and First Project vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default First Jeep and First Project vehicle

Got my first jeep, and so far has been quite the project. It's a 1990 Cherokee 4.0L I6 cyclinder.

Just replaced the headlight switch, negative battery cable. Got the air box out of it now.

Going to replace power steering system as it leaks. Also the radiator is being replaced as its leaky as well.

Future projects to come:

Fix floor cancer on driver side. (surprised didn't see any rust thru any where else in floor yet)
Replace both bumpers as they are bent in.
Headlight upgrade
Headliner makeover
Different center console and a overhead console
Paint job

Will try to snap some photos of it and as i work on things. Ran out of daylight today so its a work in progress.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 PM

Well got the air box out and the power steering pump out. Got the res off the pump today. This was a real pain because it was practically sealed on by the old grim from the engine compartment/leaky pump throwing fluid around.

Forgot to take some photos while i was outside today working on it. Will be sure to snap a few when i work on it tomorrow.

Also left first blood on it since i've owned it. Cut my left hand on the fan shroud for the electric fan. Also gave my pinky a nice manicure while i was it. The high pressure line was a real pain to loosen up on the pump.

Still have to remove the old hoses and get the new ones hooked up to gear box. The deep penetration catalyst has been my friend. I think letting the bolts soak for a day or so with that on there really helped out. Not to mention all the grease and grim covering everything.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Got radiator out, though had some issues with it. Radiator was going to be a separate job after i finished power steering pump replacement. How ever this was not the case.

In order to get the high pressure line off the gear box i had to remove the lower radiator hose so i'd have more room. So i proceeded to take out the radiator while i was at.

Well the transmission cooler lines were seized up to the radiator. The one finally came out easy though it bent up the metal line pretty good. The other one that was quick disco to radiator on bottom either the fitting was pushed to far into hose or its just really corroded on there. The plastic clip came out of hose and remained stuck. So now instead of replacing 1 transmission cooler line i'm doing both. Also replacing lower radiator hose.

Though the fan switch is stuck in radiator as well so got a new one of those coming. Radiator will be scrapped for some $$.
Attached Thumbnails First Jeep and First Project vehicle-2012-02-22_19-51-22_945.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 PM

Got new cooler lines put in for tranny. Lost more fluid than i liked but only about a quart. Also go the power steering pulley finally on my pump. Guys at auto part store were awsome. Took them a bit to get it on as well ended up using a oil filter wrench style tool to hold the pulley and put it on.

So got pump mounted today, new rad hose put in. 29.99 tool rental covered my serpentine belt i bought plus got 4 something back as well wootness.

All that is left now is to add tranny fluid, coolant, power steering fluid. Put radiator back in and air box. Bleed the radiator and power steering of air.

Then on to fixing floor for my next project as well as bumpers and some tunes for driving.
Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

lets see some shots of the body. hope you enjoy your new xj
Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Congrats on the jeep and looks like u have a handle on it so far
As stated above, pics of the ol girl would help

I have a 90 and my roomate has an 89
Update us asap

Last edited by AnoniWeezy; 02-26-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991

Mine was my first jeep and project too. You will never be the same.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM

I'll be out working on it tomorrow so i'll snap some body shots. I can't drive it yet as waiting VIN# inspection and tags. Just making sure its operational before i get it tagged, as it will be my DD for a few months till i get something else. Then its going to be a off road toy.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:09 AM

Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Enjoying reading a build on another -90!
But pics! We need to see the beauty!!

Keep on building!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: i6

Originally Posted by AnoniWeezy
Congrats on the jeep and looks like u have a handle on it so far
As stated above, pics of the ol girl would help
x2
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Forgot pictures again. Remembered the camera but my hands were greasy and was tryin to finish up so i can do fluids tomorrow. I got the radiator and everything back in and every thing hooked up.

I put in a new air filter while i was at it. Have to put in coolant, power steering and some tranny fluid. Think i lost about 1quart out when replacing lines. As the first line i took out it leaked a good while out the spot where the line connects. The 2nd one didn't let out as much.

I managed to get the correct fluid. Lucky me a guy at oreilly drives a Cherokee Limited I also told him about the forums here. Not sure if he is a member or not.

But alas new fluids going in tomorrow. Get to have fun trying to burp the coolant.