Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First build: 92 XJ (4 doors)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default First build: 92 XJ (4 doors)

Figured since this is the build section, I would do a thread showing what I've done so far. I work on a very low budget so it will be a slow build.

Here's some specs on my Jeep:

Cherokee Sport

Mileage when purchased: 110,528 miles

Mileage now: 112,000 miles

Drivetrain: 4.0L, Inline 6, automatic with Command-Trac (works very good)

Axles: Dana 30/Chrysler 8.25 (3.55 gearing)(???) No LSD.

Wheels/tires: Came with 15 inch wheels with bald tires. I was gonna spend money on new tires, but then remembered I had 4 16 inch steel rims (universal) with winter tires on. They were on my Patriot for one winter so still new. Tried them on and everything was good so I saved some cash for now.

It also came with a Mopar class III hitch.

I paid 400$ for the Jeep so I think I got a good deal.

Now, what I have done to it:

I had to change the right headlight as it wasn't working anymore. I found a brand new one for 5$.

It didn't have any floor mats when I bought it. So, I went to the store and got a roll of carpet and I trimmed them the way I wanted.

I bought a hitch bar and ball (both 2 inches)

Took off the end caps on the front bumper because one was broken. Still have to block the sides with some steel or relocate the vacuum canister.

There is some surface rust on the rockers and bottom of the doors so I decided to take care of it with some Rocker Guard. I'm not all done yet, I still have to do the passenger's side. I have to say that it looks pretty good compare to how it was before.

So that's about it for now. I really hope that this Jeep will survive this winter. If it does, then I'll need to fix the floorboards first. Then I want to add a lift to it with 31's or 33's and bumpers too. We'll see this spring.

Here's some pictures:

This one was at the old owner's house. That's when I found out that my steel rims would fit on it.

Mileage when I got it.

Mopar class III Trailer hitch

Finally home

New carpets (cut by me)

Hitch bar and ball.

Rocker Guarded Driver's side.(done) I have more pictures of the on going progress in my album.

Trying the 4X4 and tires

I have more in my album if you guys wanna see them.

Last edited by Bimmer_2002; 05-08-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

clean jeep i would suggest take the back bumper off maybe quick mod that might look good with that mopar bumper.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Year: '92
Engine: 4.0

Looking good, post more as you do it!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by clockwise
clean jeep i would suggest take the back bumper off maybe quick mod that might look good with that mopar bumper.
Never thought of that, I might look into it soon then!

Originally Posted by havensov
Looking good, post more as you do it!
Oh will do for sure!!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Update:

Changed the front/rear axle & transfer case fluid. The level was fine, but it was very dirty.

Mileage as of now: 180 200 kms (112 625 miles)
Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 V6

nice clean jeep, good find, especially if your floor boards are in good shape.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by WVJEEPER
nice clean jeep, good find, especially if your floor boards are in good shape.
Like I said in my first post. The front floor is gone near the rocker panel on both side. It starting near the rear seat, but it won't be an issue until this spring. If it runs good by march/april, then I'll tear the inside and redo the floorboards.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Alright, alright, I really need your help on this. I did alot of search, but there's so many choices, I get lost. LOL. I need to know what would be the best overall tire to get for my Jeep. I plan on doing as much off-road as possible and some rock crawling later on. This is also my daily driver, but I don't care about the noise. I need something good on snow too. I would like to install them on the original wheels pictured below. They are 8 inches wide. (Not the steelies in front)

P.S.: One more important detail, I'll be lifted before installing them. I'm looking for 33 inch tires. Thanks!!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 6

Looking good. Are you sure your wheels are 8 inches wide? I have the same ones and they are 7 inches wide. Personally, I run a BFG AT, which I've always run and I've been happy with them. I run on the street a lot though, as my Jeep is a daily driver. I am thinking about going with the Maxxis Bighorn for my next tire, though. Aggressive, but still has some siping for decent wet weather traction. Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:54 PM

should be good
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by spencersausser
Looking good. Are you sure your wheels are 8 inches wide? I have the same ones and they are 7 inches wide. Personally, I run a BFG AT, which I've always run and I've been happy with them. I run on the street a lot though, as my Jeep is a daily driver. I am thinking about going with the Maxxis Bighorn for my next tire, though. Aggressive, but still has some siping for decent wet weather traction. Just a thought.
I have one here without a tire on. I took my measuring tape and it said 8 inches (??)

Anyways, I'm asking because the shop I went to for information told me to get either the Procomp Radial Mud Terrain or the Trxus MT from Interco. It's my daily driver, so I need good snow traction so he told me to go with the Trxus. I'll ask him about the BigHorns next time I go though.

I did some research and found out this tire has some issues with blowing out and balancing. I know it doesn't happen alot, but I wanna make sure I make the good choice. Also, I know about BFG, but for the same price I can get something maybe less commercialized, but of better quality. Anyways, if by the time money comes for tires and I don't find anything else, I'll go with Interco.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Update:

I wanted to keep it a secret until I get it put on, but I can't lol. I won't be doing the install, I'll let a good reputable shop do it. They know the XJ's inside and out. It's my friend's cousin that owns the shop. They build rock crawlers and have been in business for quite some time now.

Here's the website: http://www.pjf4x4.com/portal/

I'm sure some of you guys know them as they have a big rock crawling event every fall.

I can't wait to have it on!!! Should be around April.Then I'll need to get some tires. I'm still undecided on what to get. I wanted 33's, but the more I browse here, the more I lean towards the 31's for now. Cheaper and I know I can still have fun offroading. I'm on a tight budget right now (Unemployment) so that's why it takes me awhile to do that lift.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM

Update:

Decided to grind all the paint off of my front bumper and paint it with some rocker guard. Still have one coat to put, but it looks better then it was. If I have time, I'll do the rear bumper next weekend.

Pics:

Before:

After

Also, when I got the Jeep there was one 4X4 emblem missing on the side. Well, I was at Wal-Mart the other day and noticed they have nice ones for cheap so I got that and a "sport" to put on the trunk. I took the original "Sport" decal off and will take the one 4x4 on the side too.

Before:

Now:

P.S.: I know the "sport" is crooked, I will install another one soon Should I install it on the right side or leave it where it is now?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

looks sweet dude

Quick Reply: First build: 92 XJ (4 doors)