Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a XJ , Just what I have done, not a real informative build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 fresh rebuild
Default Building a XJ , Just what I have done, not a real informative build.

Well it all started off with a Black 2000 XJ Limited all bells and whistles agate leather everything . I had eyed for over a year at a neighbors house, hood up parts off and on and on, Stopped one day and ask about it and he said 2K , engine apart not knowing details I went on my way. Well another year went by I had got to know him somewhat , a real nice guy he said I'll take a thousand for it. OK All I seen was no rust whatsoever (except surface rust on the brakes diffs and anything that just sits in the weather.(he had done the roof and hood with rustoelium with a brush) No problem. Well he bought and installed a new TUPY head, never checked lifters or anything else, I started it and knew it had a bad lifter or bent push rod. Turns out it had a destroyed cam & lifters' not a big deal I was teethed on head gaskets. So got it home for 1k cash tires dry rotted which I knew, Death wobble: original suspension down to the shocks, bent tie rod (check my pics) Interior perfect almost (driver seat edge wear,) Power everything. 166000 miles one owner (his daughter) garage kept till he got it sat out for 3 years. So I tear in I'm 58 have had 4 heart attacks (one ended in death) fortunately I was 200 yards from an emergency room (Somerset KY ) and my brother grabbed me and took me to it. but I dont give up, I'm going to go west w/my Harley on a hitch haul and this XJ is going to take me. This will be a long build because they never get done. but for now I'll show you what I got. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Uc3ZrmhDN4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here we go I'll post as I get time and if you have question Please don't hesitate to ask!

What I started with.

Yea this is me

Brushed I dread stripping this

What I do in down time

Under'ins

Not good

Actually real good 5 minuets of cleaning looked new and no smoke before teardown ..

More under'ins

skipped a little we'll get back to thisThis is were I am at now

New cam and timing components & front seal

All rod and mains checked out good new rear main seal

What a mess "where does this go , MOM help. ( my mom is cool @ 85 y/o , and yes I am a care giver. She helped me all her life time to give back.

Another of my projects 77 Ironhead

Brand New TUPY came on the JeeP
Old 10-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Here are some more pics I hope this upload thing get's worked out it is so annoying and takes to much time I tried to put these pics in order but that never worked out so you have to figure it out on your own. LoL

Any opinions on my wheel paint "i'm on the fence on this.

Rockauto.com

tie rod "how the hell did they do that the girl never took this XJ off road.

Cleaned up

Next , Pinion seal (REAR) watch for video
OK a little more on thing's done.

In order BTW bag and tag your bolts

Not clean

BAD

Pretty sweet for $1000

Ugg

I have time

And more time
Old 10-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Sorry about the pics I tried to get them in order but up loader barley works, anyway you can tell what I've done and just ask if you have a ? Thanks for your patients - PaPaBlista -AKA Dan

Arnold say's - I'llll be bock - with more
Old 10-05-2018, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Great project man, look forward to seeing it come along.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Love the red VC and intake ! I'd keep the wheels silver ! Sounds like you got enough to keep you going !!! I'd definitely be working on that Flathead !!! Let me guess, you're going to Sturgis???
Old 10-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Well can't go this year it's already over, But Daytona is coming up in February , I'm going to get a hitch haul so I can take the bike with me when I go out west in the Jeep. I traveled the country when I was young lived in California Arizona & Florida back then , Now I want to go again this time just a extended vacation , some fun wheeling to be done out there. I have already removed the paint from the wheel , I'll stick with silver for now, eventually I will paint the Jeep then I'll think about the wheels. Thanks for checking it out. I got my new flex-plate in the mail yesterday and ordered new Bosch 4 hole injectors set of 6 for $36 on e-Bay.I have some more Jeep pics in my gallery , I'm almost ready to install the engine so I'll get some pics of that too, I'm going to do some suspension work while the engine is out. You may have noticed the bent tie-rod on it and the missing steering dampener also the sway bar links were trash, also no shocks(looking at some Ranchos for $160 on e-bay still on the fence there too) all that stuff was the factory original stuff . Need to get a muffler too the one in the pic is in the scrapyard. was looking at this one for under $30 ( can get the same one for $20 but it is red and the comments say it's fine after 2 hours of the paint smoking off.)

Under $ 30 on amazon, has good reviews.

Last edited by papablista; 10-06-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Well done a few things since my last post , everyday life keeps me pretty busy I dont get to share as often as I would like. So here goes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Got some under'nethen's done..

Then got some under hood'ins done... I am trying to post pics of my engine install but am not getting any cooperation with this service. any way the engine is in , haven't started it yet have some wiring to do.. I may try to upload later ,I just get PO'd when things dont't work...
Old 11-02-2018, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

That tie rod is bent...
Old 11-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Cool

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
That tie rod is bent...

Yea, it say that under one of the earlier pics, least of my worry's now it's gonna get a lift and you may notice no shocks or sway bar links I gotta lot of work to do , But I have all winter ..P.S I have no idea how the previous owner done that, it was a one owner and she drove it for a long time with a camshaft missing a lobe ... Go figure..

Last edited by papablista; 11-02-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Well fellows & ladies (if'in there are any ladies, hope so) Haven't had a lot of time lately holidays and all but here is a rundown, I got the engine in found out where most things went and don't have too many bolts left over, LoL ( I still have much to bolt on) She started right up , I had to back the cam sensor up a tooth after initial start, After I got that right. and I got a leak from the tranny return cooler line at the 90 degree elbow coming out of the rad, (had a hole in it ) Guess what those cant be replaced and it was too short to get a hose clamp to seal it, so I found a new rad for $51 on eBay supposed to have a lifetime warranty. I was going to just get a aftermarket cooler but they cost as much or more than the rad. Also my #1 fuel injector was leaking so I had to pull it and massage things a bit . I bypassed the tranny cooler for now so I could run in the new cam & lifters and such holding 50# of oil pressure @ idle , sounds great especially with a open header, no rattles, pings,knocks or rods flying out. I'm gonna put the exhaust on this weekend I ended up buying the total flow red muffler for $30 on Amazon the thing is solid fully mig welded I'll let you know how it sounds Sunday.I 'll post a couple updated pic s today Older pics I have the hood and all back on all I'm waiting for is the new rad ,and next on the list is suspension, Have a Sanfrantastic bunch of Holidays , Sorry about the crappy pics, I have a crappy phone.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Running sweet open exhaust the sound on the video doesn't do it justice , no knocks leaks no problems, today is a good day , I could **** my pants and I'd still be smiling.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Cool Got a few thing done

Well done some more stuff , I had to replace the cam sensor it died after a start to show it to my son , I went out a hour later to start it again and nothing tried a cheap sensor , Bad out of the box, bought a Mopar cam and crank sensor ($135 for both shipped Rockauto ) and she's purring again, I am probably going to put it on hiatus for a while while I plan the suspension & tires and save some money , I have a Harley project I Have been neglecting also. I done a lot of cleaning and painting and put it all together and parked it for a while , I will do things form time to time, but the big stuff will come when this cold a$$ weather moves on. I have done a lot more than these pics and I tried to upload in order but that didn't work , I'll update soon , I have to edit and catalog everything.