Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Done and Done - My TL1000R Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Done and Done - My TL1000R Rebuild

I've finally finished my TL1000R and what do ya know, there is still some time left in the season. I got this bike back at the end of August '09 with the intention to ride it like it was and then rebuild it over the winter. Although time ran a little over, I have to say, I'm happy with the results. If you don't know already this is the predecessor to the SV1000; it's Suzuki's 1000cc V-twin superbike.

Here is a shot from the first night - CHEROKEE! The bike had a mixture of color schemes as well as annoying bits of damage to almost every fairing; plus not all of the inner pieces and OEM hardware was there...

After selling all of my damaged pieces I sourced mismatched but undamaged panels and replaced all of the aftermarket/random hardware with the correct cushions/bolts/clips/and spacers. Unfortunately I was misinformed about one of the panels I bought and it ended up being fiberglass; so it had to go.

While searching for a replacement side panel, I took it upon myself to address the issue with the undertail and design a trunk pan to really try to shave down the thickness of the TLR tail. Honestly I'm a little torn about the hump... On one hand I think its kinda cool and pulls the shape to the bike together, but on the other hand I think it adds a girth to the bike...i don't know... maybe its just me. Either the case I really felt it was important to the over all outcome of the bike. Here are a couple of pictures but if you want to see more about this work, check out these threads...
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s...unpainted.html
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s...-interest.html

Old 08-27-2010, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

So I finally had all of the parts together and was ready to paint. Thankfully my father is a bit of a tool guy so he's got a decent shop setup and does a little bit of painting for prototypes at work; he design's modem enclosures... It took us a couple weekends, b/c I had a few blemishes that needed some attention and it was just too fu*kin hot through some parts of the day. I don't know what happened, but for some reason I got carried away and forgot to take some pictures of shooting color but you get the idea...

All in all I've replaced almost everybody panel, purchased all new hardware, bought new tires, changed all the fluids and did a whole bunch of random little clean up jobs. Since the rebuild I've got about 700 miles on it and it really turns some heads, I think its just the simple color scheme and throaty v-twin rumble; even had a cop pull me over just to say he had a TLR and just had to see mine up close...geez don't do that...

Then magically I ended up with this!

Just so you know... I sorta have a thing for Hot Rod Black...Rebuilt this Ducati 750S the year before.

Last edited by s14unimog; 08-27-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well done! Atleast there is always next year.

Used to have a '01 GSX-R 750, sold before I enlisted years back. Crotch rockets are a blast.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Makes me want to go out and buy a bike, looks nice!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

^thanks! I just love rebuilding stuff... Just make it mine and separate it from the rest. But I will say, I'm glad I'm done with this one, b/c I've been wanting to work on a bumper project for the Jeep and this thing was eating up my spare time... TOO MANY PROJECTS!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Looks nice. If I had it, I would keep the theme you have going and black it out. I like the looks of blacked out bikes, black body, frame, wheels... everything.