Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Build Ideas

Hey Im trying to get some ideas on different brands and their pros and cons with them. I have a 92 Laredo 4x4 4.0l and have been looking at some different lifts for it but cant decide. I've saved up 4k to invest into my jeep, looking to get 3.5" lift and some 31's. Either rubicon super ride full leaf or a full traction aal are the ones i have been debating about. I also had a question on what kind of lockers are good for moderate wheeling (weekends, hunting and fishing trips). Basically in simple terms I need guidance on what lift and extras i will need for a lift. If you have any info it would help tremendously.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

well first this is not a build thread so it can the mods please move it to correct section. dont do aal since you are just adding one leaf to 20 year old springs. just pay a little more and do it right from the start and get the full leaf packs. i dont know much about lockers since i dont run one and have no need to since my jeep handles all things i throw at it.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Default Wait

My tip, once you have read all the build threads, done google image searches, and made up your mind on the lift components, height, and tire size...wait a few days. You will change your mind and or have an idea about a different approach. Then you'll be glad you thought about it some more. I've repeated this scenario 5 times in the last few weeks. See my "build" thread for some good ideas (at least I think so) on a build that does what you stated. My goal is to build a rig that can drive 9 hours on the expressway to my hunting spot in northern michigan. From their it needs to handle deep mud or snow, and plenty of icy roads. I think the truetracs are the most important part of the build plan... Good luck.

P.S. I also recommend buying the book "High Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide" by Eric Zappe and read it before you buy. Very helpful!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM

@xj-92 sorry man i didn't know where i should put it and I was doubting a locker cause my friend doesn't have one and he goes through some rough stuff too but wasnt sure about them and @Holzer thanks man i will look into that book.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

lockers are great and everyone says they work great but i cant personally say yet. good luck with the build