Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Race Jeep Build SRT-6

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Stock 4.0 178,000 mile Home made Turbo charged rear mount setup, 8lbs of boost
Default Another Race Jeep Build SRT-6

For a while now I have had my 98 2dr se 4.0 5spd and it has been absolutely worth every bit of $2000, being 2wd I am limited when it came to off road applications but, still being a lot of fun and surprising many other off-roaders I meet out in the south Florida trails. Also being in South Florida the fun doesnt just end off road, we have plenty of big diesel trucks with all kinds of mods that like to run the streets lol. In stock form my jeep would even give some 6.0s, every 7.3 and even some cummins trucks a run for their money, in a drag race. Not forgetting the handful of hondas I was able to beat fairly easily as well. For some reason this little jeep will get off the line faster than my z28 could but by the time I hit 3rd gear, about 60mph, it runs out of steam and falls on its face, thus not having the top end speed to keep up in the big end of the race.

My solution, Boost! After seeing countless threads of turbo and supercharged jeeps, like the Bad to the bone Autocross XJ-R or even CobraMartys supercharged jeep. It was these two threads alone that lead me to even buying a 2wd 2dr jeep in the first place. My Race jeep will Dub the name SRT-6 because when I first got the jeep I got these SRT-6 badges that I just have to use now lol.

Any who enough babbling on with the build, I have already started on it with the most important part out of the way being the main power adder installed, I used a t3/t4 T04e Ebay turbo that has an internal wastegate set for 8lbs of boost, I figure with running 93octane and my 39lb Cobra injectors should be safe from any kind of detonation. But heres where it gets weird and different than other builds I have seen, instead mounting the turbo in the engine bay having to get rid of the A/C or on the airbox side needing to have custom fab skills in order to do so, I wanted to make this "kit" as DIY as possible with the least amount of shop time needed. I mounted the turbo just behind the transmission mount, like an STS Rearmount set up. Now before everyone gets worried about lag issues or ground clearance as well, the Jeep has since been retired from any kind of off road use and will simply just be used to beat up any moderately modded diesel or rice burner in its path lol.. The exhaust will also be heat wrapped as I have read that it greatly reduces the lag from the rear mount setup.

As for tuning I have already wired in a SAFC-2 Piggy back fuel controller that I got for dirt cheap and probably for good reason but I figured for the price I would give it a shot, Another weird point is the front o2 sensor will be unplugged so I can use my wideband Guage to watch Air fuel ratios and with the the 02 being unplugged I will have the jeep in open loop keeping it from wanting to go lean on part throttle inputs, I have had pretty good luck with this method so far as I have used the SaFC to tune my A/F close to 14.7 on part throttle inputs while the jeep was N/A , If this doesnt work when boost is introduced into the system, I found another more expensive method like the Split-second piggy back that i have heard nothing but good things from, or even an SCT Tuner that I can make my own Custom tune to the Factory Computer. These options will most likely be my end route as I am not too faithful in the SAFC but we shall see what happens.

I have a video of the jeep with the turbo on as just a little test drive to test spool and My oil feed and return that is using an Ebay scavenge pump that runs back to the engine oil cap. Every thing seems to be great so far now I am just waiting on an intercooler and intake piping, Sorry its so much for one post but I wanted to try and be as descriptive as possible. Ill post some pictures that I have and will definetely take more as I progress more into the build, By the way as my baseline test for power I ran the 1/8th mile with the jeep at my local track and ran a best time of 10.3@68mph lol 2.4 60 foot with very bald and I mean very bald street tires.
Thanks
Antonio

Last edited by XJTony22; 02-15-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:58 PM

Engine: Stock 4.0 178,000 mile Home made Turbo charged rear mount setup, 8lbs of boost

This is the SAFC-2 Setup in the jeep now.

This is how My #Race jeep sits now

The T04e turbo

Mounted onto the jeep, yes it is low in this picture but this was the first day back from the exhaust shop, I have added about another inch of clearence about 6inches from the ground, Off road no longer an option
Old 02-15-2016, 04:02 PM

Here is the Video of the jeep with the turbo installed making no boost yet..

Old 02-15-2016, 04:06 PM

Bone Stock 4.0 with hole in exhaust vs EFI Live Duramax #RACEJEEP ftw lol Cant imagine what will be possible with another 50-100hp?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Cool build. Another 2 door racejeep!! The ricers and most street diesels won't know what hit them.

To pick up some above 4000rpm pull and performance, Harland Sharp 1.7:1 roller rockers work well albeit expensive $4-500, but easy install.

Love the SRT-6 badge idea. Got any pictures?

Your are lucky having a '98. When the MAP sensor sees boost, the ecu will go into open loop. The problem is it will set a CEL and to prevent this you would have to clamp the MAP signal to about 4.8v to prevent CEL.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
Cool build. Another 2 door racejeep!! The ricers and most street diesels won't know what hit them.

To pick up some above 4000rpm pull and performance, Harland Sharp 1.7:1 roller rockers work well albeit expensive $4-500, but easy install.

Love the SRT-6 badge idea. Got any pictures?

Your are lucky having a '98. When the MAP sensor sees boost, the ecu will go into open loop. The problem is it will set a CEL and to prevent this you would have to clamp the MAP signal to about 4.8v to prevent CEL.
Well I already have the check engine light from now having the front 02 in because of my wide band use the port, but I'm glad to here the stock map sensor won't be a issue I thought read some where that a 2bar map is needed on obd2 jeeps ,I wonder if there is something different about the older obd2 models verse mine. Ill take A of those badges and just want to thank and congratulate you on such an amazing and successful build, my next stage is suspension so I will surely be going to you for those questions!
Antonio
Old 02-16-2016, 07:51 AM

And I will definitely look into those roller rockers, I almost bought them before even thinking of the turbo build
Old 02-17-2016, 02:13 AM

Sorry for the bad picture bad lighting in the garage, but here is the SRT6 badges, pretty cool I think, Ill have one here on the trunk and then one on each side of the jeep under the cherokee decal. Still up for opinions on location of the badges, may even get a hellcat emblem if it gets fast enough lol..

Last edited by XJTony22; 02-17-2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Subbed
Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Nice emblems. Are they available on Ebay?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
Nice emblems. Are they available on Ebay?
Yep, they had some other nice choices as well very cheap.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

You still running stock suspension? I've been thinking of doing this kind of build for a fun DD, but I'd like to lower it an inch or two and stiffen up the suspension to help with body roll.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by chipmaker
You still running stock suspension? I've been thinking of doing this kind of build for a fun DD, but I'd like to lower it an inch or two and stiffen up the suspension to help with body roll.
Yea I'm still on stock suspension, previous owner put in the same air shocks that cobra Marty used but due to my off-road usaget they are beyond blown lol and my leafs are also toast as they are completely parallel with ground or completely straight, with these new tires I got though it handles okay now, launches are great launching at 4000rpm with just a chirp of the tires , and when I had the old bald tires on I used to rip the ebrake all the time and literally drift like a proper rwd car with an lsd , roads has to be a bit damp for better slides but the ebrake would do the job too lol. My friend did say they saw the back right wheel lift up off the ground onetime but that's as close as its ever got to rolling or any dangerous movement you'd expect from a normal suv
Old 03-13-2016, 01:56 AM

Update on the Turbo build, I finally figured out the issues with the oil system and finally put some intake piping routed up to the manifold to make some boost! Im beyond happy with my results I have not even wrapped the exhaust yet and I make full boost at 8lbs almost instantly from a 3rd gear roll at just about 2800rpm. The next step is to get the intercooler installed and fine tune my part throttle air fuel ratio, the Safc does great with wide open throttle tuning, Part throttle works just not as well as I thought, I haven't really messed with the part throttle so much yet as I have been busy with school and work, I have a daily driver and I have been only working on the jeep on the weekends. Any ways, here is a little video it doing a 3rd gear pull I am uploading now, ill post that as soon as its been completed.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:26 AM

Quick Reply: Another Race Jeep Build SRT-6