Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 XJ 4.5''

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ, 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.0 l6
Default 99 XJ 4.5''

I can probably write a dozen different introductions for my build thread, but I'll just cut the **** and get to the pictures for you guys ha.

I'm 17, I started out with a 99 Cherokee sport. Around 149,000 miles with a dead battery. It was in a light roll over one winter. The previous owner tried to prevent rust so there are random patches of primer. It also has a Mack Bulldog on the hood. =)

I drove there in my WJ with my girlfriend and I put new battery terminals on and a new battery in and then my girlfriend drove my WJ as I drove my new XJ to the gas station and then home. On my way home I learned that the radio would completely lose power randomly and I wouldnt get it back on unless I turned the car off and then on again, I also learned that my front speakers did not work and I learned the front brakes would get really hot and smoke, and the pedal was soft and my directionals were just awful, hardly ever work.

Over time I began working on different parts of the jeep. One day I changed the oil and filter. Another day I changed the wipers, and so on..

I got it up to my friends house one day and he has a collection of speakers that I could use so we spent a few hours working on my front speakers/radio. The passenger side speaker was blown, and the drivers side had some hackjob wiring problem as well as a blown speaker so we replaced that speaker too and then I found a wiring diagram online and just ran a completely new wire from the radio to that speaker. This fixed the problem I was having with the radio losing power randomly, and it also helped the sound much better now that I had four working speakers instead of 2.

As for my front brakes, I asked a buddy of mine about it and he said he had the same problem with his once and its just from it sitting and he said to just dump a couple buckets of water on it when its real hot. So I did and I believe it solved the hot smoking problem.

The next thing I did was get a deal set up with my buddy who taught me how to install the lift. I ended up getting his old Rubicon Express 4.5'' front coils that he never actually used, his Rubicon Express 4.5'' rear leaf's that he did use, I bought U bolts locally and then I got the four shocks, lower control arms and track bar brand new from BDS. All together $600. I have pictures for every step of the build but I'm not going to take the time to put them all on the forum.

This picture includes another set of coils (3'' I think?) but those are not mine.

Front

Rear

Bulldog =)

And So I began with the rear,

I had to take the rear shackle out with the rear leaf spring and in doing so it pinched my thumb and for the last few months I've had a bloody thumb nail waiting to fall off. You know, in case you wanted to know.. =)

The front end of the driver side leaf spring's nut had fallen off so I cut a hole from inside to access the inside of the unibody rail and ran a temporary nut and bolt holding the front end of the leaf spring on until I had time to run to Fastenal and get a new nut and bolt of proper strength.

I removed the rear sway bar, and then I had trouble with the rear shocks so I held off on switching the old ones with the new for a day when I could use the lift in the next bay.

I parked it and learned the drivers side door does not lock and left it like this for the night.

The next day I get it up on the lift, and remove the rear shocks. On the drivers side no bolts snapped, on the passenger side they did however, this was my solution:

Now onto the front end, I flexed the brake lines and drilled them in place in a lower spot, swapped out the lower control arms, used a spring compressor for the coils, yadda yadda yadda... Skip to the good stuff:

The rear leaf's have sagged since they have been used and the front coils have not, another factor was I had all my old parts, a spare tire and some other junk in the back weighing it down.

Front

Apparently I don't have a picture of the height measurement in the rear... Well, Because it was sagging so much I soon ordered 2'' Rough Country shackles and installed those (and this time around I did not bust a thumb):

The bulldog!

In the process of changing my suspension parts out I found that all four shocks old shocks were shot and one of my coils was cracked, good thing I was changing out the suspension parts! After all of the lift was on and once I got it on a paved road I noticed the vibrations! Woah! I'll be diagnosing that sometime...

I next went to advanced auto and bought complete new parts, new wheel cylinders, new pads and new hardware for the rear drum brakes and I rebuilt them. Now the brakes are in top shape!

After that I printed out a wiring diagram for the directionals and I diagnosed that problem at the combination switch so I went to the jeep dealership and got a new one and then I swapped the old one out with the new one.

After I fixed that problem, I took the drivers door panel off and was trying to figure out why the lock wasnt working but eventually I broke the plastic tab connecting the rod to the mechanical lock button inside the door by accident (I apologize for the lack of proper terminology) so I just took that rod out and now the door locks and unlocks just fine except the plastic red/black lock switch on the door panel is useless now (but what do I care, It locks and unlocks).

I next decided although I don't care about the rear wiper not working, I figured I'll get the diagnostics practice so I printed out a wiring diagram for that and I first learned it needed a new switch and once I had power going to the wiper motor I learned it also needs a new wiper motor.

After I figured out what was wrong with that I then proceeded to change the transmission fluid.

Throughout the process of this I changed multiple light bulbs on the jeep, and I found a killer deal on 33'' tires mounted and balanced on craigslist so I had to pick those up the very next day.

I'm currently in the process of trimming my fenders, I took the front wheels off, sanded my front fenders to get rid of the rust and primed and sprayed some undercoat on them and I've just cut and bent up the tabs for the drivers side. Next I have to do the passenger side and then I'll use some silicone to seal them, and then I'll do the rear fenders.

After this I will be paying my buddy to replace the rocker panels for me (currently my rockers are shot) with some steel (The first thing on my jeep that someone other than me will be doing!) and then I'll need an alignment done (The second thing on my jeep someone other than me will be doing!) and then I will have to change the speedometer gear so it reads right with the bigger tires. and thennnnn..... Front and rear bumper, roof rack, getting rid of as much rust as i can, bedliner/undercoat.....

The list never ends. It's a Jeep. Just like members here have said, Just Empty Every Pocket.

Last edited by Z400Rider; 11-28-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Grats on the new lift, looks good! I like seeing some detailed build pics so glad you posted some of those up. I was recently swapping out a bad shock and had to mess with those damn bolts, not fun.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Enjoytheride
Grats on the new lift, looks good! I like seeing some detailed build pics so glad you posted some of those up. I was recently swapping out a bad shock and had to mess with those damn bolts, not fun.
Thank you!
One day when I have to replace my shocks in the rear unlike most people struggling with those bolts snapping I can just take a torch to the nuts and off come my shocks!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L

looks good man! Now for some bigger tires..haha
Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by n_csmith
looks good man! Now for some bigger tires..haha
I've got em I've got em! I just have to finish trimming my fenders and change the speedometer gear!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Alright I have more pictures for you guys. I just trimmed the front fenders and I'm about to start with the rear fenders. I do not have the front all back together just yet because I have to test them to see if I need to do any more trimming.

Anyway, although I rebuilt my rear brakes quite some time ago here is a picture:

The old parts were so rusted, as soon as I put pressure on the springs to remove them they just crumbled into multiple pieces, and my self adjusters were completely seized so I bought new ones:

Okay now back to the trimmed fenders, here is my procedure:

Tools needed:

Patience
Jack
Jack stands
Pliers + flathead screwdriver
Small ratchet + 10mm socket (or cutting tool)
heat gun + fire retardant mat
tape
sandpaper/wire brush + drill
Primer
Rubberized Undercoat
Grinder (or some other cutting tool)
Heat gun + razor (or dremel)
Silicone

First step is to jack the front up and place jackstands underneath, it will be there for awhile:

Remove the front wheels so you will have more room, Then begin removing the plastic tabs that hold the plastic splash guard. I used a flathead screwdriver and a pair of pliers to remove them:

Next you will need a torch, a fire retardent mat (can be found in the plumbing section of a store) and a small ratchet with a 10mm socket:

With these tools you will be heating up and removing the nuts that line the inside of the fender which hold the stock fender flares on. This technique worked very well for me. I used the fire retardent mat to cover the windshield washer fluid resevoir on the drivers side. The passenger side came off just fine, but once I got to the drivers side I noticed that the whole bolt was spinning because the brackets had completely rusted so then I resorted in cutting the bolts off.

Next you will want to sand as much rust off as you can and then prime the sanded metal and then apply undercoat. I also tried spray on bedliner and found that the undercoat works much better because after I cut the fenders and then bent the tabs in the bedliner simply chipped off but the undercoat stayed on.

After this you will want to tape off what your going to cut:

For the plastic fender caps I used a heat gun and a razor to trim, it worked very well although I think a dremel would be cleaner (but I do not own a dremel):

as for the rest of the fender, I covered the shock and coil with a blanket and then I used a grinder and I cut many lines up to my tape line. Note that there are many different tools that can be used to cut the fenders.

When that was all said and done I used vise grips and a hammer to bend the tabs in. After this you repeat the step for the opposite side and then move on to the rear and after all the fenders have been trimmed I will next test the Jeeps flex and see if the tires rub and if there is more trimming needed. When there is no more trimming needed the last steps are to apply silicone to the bends to prevent water getting in and rust build up, then to re-install the plastic splash guard and then it is complete. Further steps include fender flares and stuffing a pool noodle inside the fender. I will be making my own fender flares because they are required in my state.

The rear is the same procedure although I've read not to cut past the spot welds.

I've got the front cut, next is the rear and then testing and so on... I've also got to work on my WJ and my LT125 restoration/rebuild.

That is all for now,
Thank you!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

i would start worring about all that rust!lOl its kinda hard to wheel if you dont have a ride that can hold up to it! Just sayin!lOl
Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO" (High Output) - 190 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm

all that vibration is coming from your drive shaft angle.... I put a RE 3.5" lift on and took it for a drive.... it was terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lowered my transfer case 1" and all the vibrations were gone! I was amazed at the difference! you gotta do it! you can buy a kit for like $30.00, or if you break the bolts like I did, you can just buy 12" of 1" square stock tubing cut it in half (6") and weld them both to the frame, line up everything, drill holes and mount with grade 8 hardware( grade 8 doesn't rust as easy...) in total I spent $6.00.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:55 PM

strings8907. There really isnt much rust on the Jeep. It is in great shape. Yeah there is some rust here and there but it doesnt affect it. I live in Vermont. Rust is expected. I do plan on cleaning up the rust though!

21yearsofjeeps, yes I do believe it is the driveshaft angle, I've researched and talked with a few buddies on some options, including your suggestion, thanks!

I have been busy with school and work lately so I havent made much progress although I am working on fixing up the rear fenders, rocker panels and hopefully borrowing my buddies sandblaster to clean up the undercarriage and so I can bedline/undercoat it. Looking into getting the fenders and rockers done next week otherwise sometime after christmas. After that its time to get an alignment, put my tires on, change the speedo gear. Since its winter now I believe after I get these things done the winter project on the jeep will be to sandblast whats underneath and bedline/undercoat, and sand and paint the rest of the jeep. I'm thinking bedliner and some rattlecans for a nifty paint job nobody is expecting =)
Old 12-21-2010, 09:07 PM

Well tonight I put my 33's on for the first time. Damn, can't describe the feeling/sight of those 33's the first time you put them on your first lifted jeep. It's nice. =) After I put them on I drove it to my buddies tonight and he will pick up some steel and do my rocker panels tomorrow as well as finishing up the rear fenders. I noticed one of the leaf springs was twisted and rubbing on my drivers side rear tire as well as my other rear tire is pretty close, so I'll have to pick up some wheel spacers and fix that leaf spring real quick. Also planning on getting the speedometer set up right, a new inspection sticker, an alignment and then cleaning up the rust and old undercoat underneath and i'll bedline it or something of the sort, I also have to fit in an SYE, a front bumper, maybe a rear bumper and tow points. Then maybe summer time I will paint it and redo the headliner. Ohh how jeeps never end. =)

Here's a quick pic I took right after I got the wheels on. It's not the best picture and it does not do it justice. I'll get more pictures after the rockers are done and maybe a few other things.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:57 PM

So it seems as if nobody gives a **** about my jeep or build since im practically the only one posting! Ah well here's another update:

I spent the last two days working on it and I got the rockers done with some steel, trimmed and fiberglassed the rear fenders and cut and belt those useless ends of the rear quarters. I also cut some sheetmetal and took some self tapping screws where it had rotted out above the old rockers in the rear and then fiberglassed it to seal. Then I filled in the space above the new rockers and the rear quarters with some spray foam to keep all the moisture and mud and all out, I used some seam sealer along the new rockers to also seal it and make a nice clean line. and then I sprayed on some primer on the bare metal quick and after it dried got it out of his shop. I also had to tighten a bolt because the 4-lo wasnt staying in place and I noticed my new 33's are really close to the shackles in the rear so I'll have to pick up small spacer plates. I dont have any pictures during but I do after:

It might not be pretty but what do I care. It just needs some mud right? I'll take some time some day and clean it up, sand it down, paint it, make it looks nice. I've got too much other stuff to do though. But theres my update! Maybe I'll actually get a comment from someone this time around???

Last edited by Z400Rider; 12-25-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

lookin good so far!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:30 PM

Year: 1985
Engine: 4 cylinder

Looks Great!!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:43 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

Build looks good so far.... it's not what others think, it's what you build to suit your purposes! Keep going,,, you are doing a good job!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

good progress and I thought my 92 had rust issues holy____ there is a lot of rust on that XJ

Quick Reply: 99 XJ 4.5''