Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 xj dd weekend warrior

Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 xj dd weekend warrior

So I bought a stock 98 purple/blue xj bone stock with 162 on the clock.

This thing came to Texas from the north so I have some cancer on it pretty typical rockers,rear quarters spot on the roof and a pretty brown undercarriage. It did have an upgraded radiator due to rust also.

So far I've rebuilt the front brakes rotors, calipers the whole sha-bang. Replaced the rear main seal, PIA in a single car garage.Threw in a decent stereo, the original only had Am,lame. lots of clean up carpets, reprint trim, took a heat gun to the fenders, came out pretty good. Took off door moldings. Cleaned out throttle body and replaced tps sensor. Trimmed air dam off. Oh and drivers side door hinge pin. Pretty typical stuff.

Got some parts waiting to go on, RE super flex 3.5 bilstein shocks, rugged ridge tow hooks ( haven't gotten stuck yet, but use the crap out of the skinny pedal), cheap nor/am rocker panels ( planning to cut out rust por15 and rivet them on, cause I don't have access to a welder), after that I'm debating on cut and fold on the rear quarter panels.

I want this jeep to be a DD/trail/expedition rig. Need to figure out rim tire combo, any one have issues with the Moab rims? come up with tcase drop until i can do the sye.

Planning on armor front to back, led conversion on inside lights, fix busted console somehow maybe by putting a plate on that plastic base.

Things that need fixed:
Blower diffuser ac only works full blast but it works....
Headliner and hopefully find or make an overhead console
Want to figure out how to build a tool box storage trunk in back with a flip out/slide out table for camping would be cool to have a sub incorporated.
Door light switch interior lights are always on.
Rebuild rear brakes or convert to disk most likely rebuild drums.
Rear hatch handle is acting up,
Map sensor I think....
Tranny gasket may be leaking
I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but I'll continue adding to the list. Kinda what having a jeep is about.

Over all it's a decent jeep, with a lot of potential, had a cj that I Getto modified the crap out of and the xj is more capable pretty darn cool.

98 xj dd weekend warrior-image-1486043427.jpg

98 xj dd weekend warrior-image-3839497578.jpg
Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

nice purple rig
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 PM

Thanks, just got my tow hooks on now I need to find a hole and get stuck...
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM

Noticed the belt squeaking the other day went and bought a new belt. So yesterday I got a whole in my lower radiator hose, so I went and bought all new hoses. Just flushed the system and got everything as cleaned out as possible, threw the new hoses at it, buttoned it up dumped fluid in it, and guess what...... I still have that leak! Just learned how to tell if a water pump is out... So I will be going to get a new pump in a few....

The rocker panels are going to have to wait awhile longer.

I'm wondering what thermostat to get. I usually run at 210ish and never really heated up. Also running a steel radiator not the plastic one. Live in Texas so it's hot outside. Any thoughts?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:35 PM

Yep this is a pain, having trouble figuring out how to move the fan and get the shrewd off. Apparently the shoud come off with the fan once the fan nut is removed, but can't find the fan.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Just finished, running 20 cooler at 180 with the new thermostat long day. But if a water pump goes out again I'll know the first time I fix it..
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

I have a pair of extended brake lines for the front when you decide to lift it. Brand new and never installed. $40 shipped
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 PM

What do you have I'm planning on stainless.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Originally Posted by Beerguyatx
What do you have I'm planning on stainless.
Thats what I have. Stainless. Bought em from rough country
Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 PM

Got the rear portion of the lift put on sitting at 21in from wheel center to fender. Only broke one upper shock bolt, drilled it out and threw in a self tapping grade 8 bolt the next size bigger. Also broke the lower shock bolt, had to grind it down and drill it out to a half an inch for the new bolt. I'll have someone weld that up for me later.

Tore into the front, got one side gutted except for the lca, can't get the bolt back by the frame out. Lame, so close but so far away. And its finally raining in Austin, I want to got play in the mud.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Got the lift finished up and I really like it. Went with the 3.5 re super flex. Gonna test the flex part tonight. Sitting a little high in the front but kinda like that. No real issues with handling but won't hit the highway until I have the alignment done today. Slight vib between 30-35. No sye or tcase drop yet.

Just a few issues with the install. Broke the lower shock mount in the rear and one upper. Drilled out the lower to a 1/2inch and put a new grade 8 bolt in with a sleeve over it for the bushing. Took forever it felt like to drill out.

Had a lot of trouble with the lower control arm on the drivers side. The upper bolt rusted to the sleeve inside the bushing. Tried everything to get it out. Tons of pb blaster, torch, bfh ( favorite tool), finally ground both side of the bolt off and stretched the mount a little and forced the arm out with a pry bar. Off course after the the passenger side was a breeze.

The lower sway bar mount is pressed in and I couldn't get the out, going to have the alignment shop press them out for me. Even snapped my c-clamp trying press them out.

Lift came out to 3.5 rear (aal) and 4.5 front.

Gonna go get it muddy tonight!

Also replaced the blower diffuser, so the ac works like a champ.

Started some body work, cut out the rockers, and hit them with por-15. I have some rocker skins to screw or rivet over the top, not sure which way I'm going yet. Then it's off to cut and fold the rear quarters. I know they really should be welded in but some times it's diapers for the kiddo or a welder and a divorce...
Attached Thumbnails 98 xj dd weekend warrior-image-2726195358.jpg   98 xj dd weekend warrior-image-28780740.jpg   98 xj dd weekend warrior-image-203154353.jpg   98 xj dd weekend warrior-image-4091798423.jpg  
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Can't hardly drive the jeep, got d windows with 31 at tires. Looks sweet, but my driveshaft hates it. Ordered 4 degree shims hope they are in today or tomorrow. It's got to help, also have a t case drop in it now which at least made it somewhat drivable. Just hope I don't snap a u joint before the shims get here. It only binds when maintaining speed and slowing down. Also found some wobble around 50mph, yeah! <- insert sarcasm here... I'm going to do a hack and tap soon to get rid of the trash parts I'm having to put on my nice jeep. So I'm in the market for a front ds.

The up side, made the jack hole at work with the wrangler want my xj, he finally sees my 14 year old xj is better than his 2 year old wrangler. Been telling him this for months. Post picks later.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 PM

Got the shims in today, the jeep drives like a whole new jeep. No vibration, squeaks or rattles. Crazy how much the helped.