Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Jeep New Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output I6
Default 93 Jeep New Purchase

Hey there,

I just bought my first Jeep and I am SUPER excited. I have wanted a Jeep for years of my own but was not able to get into to one till this last Saturday. While my father had a Wrangler, Rubicon, and Liberty over the years this is the first one I have owned.

Price: $900
Cherokee XJ Country
4 Door Auto
4x4 Country edition
Green/Tan interior

I want to fix it up and make it a great car to withstand 4wheeling, Snow running ( I am a New Hampshire boy at heart! ) and overall use.

This Jeep will be used for everyday as well as use of the 4x4 in snow, mud and exploring California.

As I said I am new to Jeeps and any suggestions would be VERY helpful. I did buy the vehicle through CL and want to take it in to verify what status the vehicle is in. IE: Engine, Transmission, Brakes etc...

I am going to contact a Jeep dealer to get all the info my car came with as stock as no modifications have been made to it. Then go from there.

Plans:

3"lift
31-33" tires
New Rims (suggestions?)
New Paint and trim
Push Bar
Roof rack/cage
Spot lights
Mud Flaps
Replace driver seat brackets
Replace Moon top pop up and screens
Install new Radio

Of course all of that after I know the engine and drive train are in good working order. I plan to take a few years on this if I need to. Sure is going to be fun.

I have one picture and plan to update some more.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails 93 Jeep New Purchase-1.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

congrats on the cheap jeep man! first thing i would do if i were you is after you comfirm its all good mechanically, take it out and wheel it stock and get used to it and then decide on your lift.

cheers!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 IL6

x2 wheel it like that first, then go from there.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Good idea. My roommate and I are going out Friday night!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 AM

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Just got my first jeep!
Good idea. My roommate and I are going out Friday night!
have fun man let us know how it goes and post pics!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4litre

Looks super clean, especially for 900$
Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Hey man I just got my first Jeep too and am wanting to hit some light trails while it is still stock. PM me if you want to get together some time. I'm pretty handy with a wrench so if you want some help when you start modding your Jeep let me know. I work for beer and good times.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 PM

Default Anyone up for advice?

Hey folks. I just posted some pics of the entire Jeep!

This past Friday night my roommate and I went out to run some trails. While getting ready to go and getting some gas I noticed some coolant leaking under the car. After getting back to the house I pulled off the hoses and they look pretty old and shot so I replaced them. I decided while I was at it I would change all the plugs, wires, cap and ignition router. I also changed out the Serpentine belt and let me tell you it was all MUCH MUCH easier than I thought it would be.

While my father would work on cars all the time and was a mechanic for a while I was never all that interested and shied away from it. I am pleased I was able to do this work with a little help from a buddy! Sweet!

Any how,

I got it all back together and noticed that there is still a small leak of coolant coming out and I need to figure out from where. Radiator looks good as do the new hoses. I was wondering if it could be the Water pump? The leak stops after the Jeep is warmed up and only continues a little when it is parked. Has any one seen this with their XJ's? Also, if it is the water pump; is this something I could change? While in there should I change out the PS pump as well?

Any help would be appreciated. I have a good weekend and enjoy!
Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks Gary I am pleased with it so far! I'll Keep you posted! I did add some more pictures in my Album.

Jon
Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Superhero
Hey man I just got my first Jeep too and am wanting to hit some light trails while it is still stock. PM me if you want to get together some time. I'm pretty handy with a wrench so if you want some help when you start modding your Jeep let me know. I work for beer and good times.
Very Cool!!! Yeah I am super pleased. I am working on making sure it is in good mechanical order as I need to drive it for work as well. Are you in the Sacramento area?

Jon
Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Engine: 4.0L

I'm not sure about what it takes to change the water pump. I do know that the power steering pump is really easy to change. I just pulled mine out and replaced the high and low pressure lines and the pump reservoir (I broke a nipple on it while changing the low pressure line).

Yup, I'm in Sacramento.

Originally Posted by Just got my first jeep!

I got it all back together and noticed that there is still a small leak of coolant coming out and I need to figure out from where. Radiator looks good as do the new hoses. I was wondering if it could be the Water pump? The leak stops after the Jeep is warmed up and only continues a little when it is parked. Has any one seen this with their XJ's? Also, if it is the water pump; is this something I could change? While in there should I change out the PS pump as well?

Any help would be appreciated. I have a good weekend and enjoy!

Very Cool!!! Yeah I am super pleased. I am working on making sure it is in good mechanical order as I need to drive it for work as well. Are you in the Sacramento area?

Jon
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 AM

Default Water Pump and Stuck

Hey there folks.

So I think i may have found the leak issue and I need a little help to get the ider pulley on the front of the water pump off. I see that it must come off but as I try to remove the bolts on it the pulley spins. UGH SO frustrating as I am afraid I will bend it. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Jon
Attached Thumbnails 93 Jeep New Purchase-2.jpg   93 Jeep New Purchase-6.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Use two Wrenches. Use one to hold and the other to Loosen. The last bolt is tricky though. When you have two left, break both of em lose and back em out a little so when you try to remove the last bolt It is already loosened a little.