Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Default Stock Build

This is not what you guys normally get here but I am going to use this to document the build/rebuild of my 1989 Cherokee Pioneer.

I will have more pictures uploaded later but you can see in my avatar what I started with.

I bought this a little over a month ago from a local individual who gave me most of the story, good and bad, about this jeep. In the past month I have uncovered somethings that he may not have know or didnt want to disclose. Either way they are nothing big.

The only modifications on this jeep were the ones done by a very angry tree. The front bumper was bent and the passenger side fron quarter panel has a dent. Nothing I cant live with or fix.

Here is what I have done so far.

Tires (cheap set from Wally World to get by)

New muffler, just a stock style replacement

Passenger side mirror (see the tree statement above) found this on the classifed here for a good price
screws for the rear arm rest

new bumper and end cap made a hughe apperance difference!

distributor hold down clamp I was trying to track down an oil leak and I had it narrowed down to the distributor gasket. well the repair book mentioned a hold down clamp and guess what, mine was missing. Had the bolt but no clamp. I am getting by with a generic clamp from a GMC until I can find a replacement. It holds alright, but will viberate loose after a few miles.

Power steering pump and hoses. This was the only "major" leak and thanks to some Oriley gift cards I got for Christmas, it is now fixed.

Picked up a nice nifty cup holder for the center console!

Had to replace 2 fuel injectors and the oring/clip on the fuel line.

Put in an old CB I had and then fabed up an antenna mount

Added an old school Kenwood pull out cassette player radio to which I connected some new back speakers and a 12" amp and sub

New plastic fan cover, those metal blades are rough

That is where I am at so far.

My plan is to keep the stock height but to replace the front and rear springs. The 4wd all works well and the engine is running nice after the injector replacement.

My immediate to dos are to replace the ujoints, and two seals on teh transmission cooler lines. After that I will go to work replacing bushings, window seals and whatever else pops up.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: I6

I think there are not enough factory or what I would like to call super factory builds. Taking a stock old rig and just using better stock parts. Tires no larger than 30X9.5 and if you do lift no more than 2 solid inches. Quality every step of the way.

Good luck and keep us updated
Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

sounds like a good solid plan

pics are always nice
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 AM

very nice. cant wait to see it finished. keep us updated.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Few pictures of where I started and where I am at now.

Just after I got it

After new bumper, antenna, and painted wheels

Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Took the front drive shaft out last night in an attempt to locate the vibration at highway speed. Soon as I started I noticed way too much play in the front ujoint.

Drove it after taking it out and sure enough the vibration is gone. Went to pick up another ujoint today and will put it in tonight.

On another note. I am getting tired of the part store employees giving me their 2 cents on how hard it is to work on a cherokee and how they are glad they sold theirs, etc.

Two different stores and teh same BS. I know I bought a car that is almost as old as they are, just sell me the damn part and move on.

Anyway, crossing my fingers that the front joint was the problem, not that crazy *** "H"/center ball (whatever they call it). Cheapest rebild kit I have found on that so far is over $100 bones.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Nicely done. I have an 87 Cherokee that I just brought back to life after sitting for 6 years. New fuel pump, power steering pump and hoses. Now looking to put on a new muffler. I think I'd like to go better than stock on muffler. What did you come across when you were shopping for yours?