Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 88 Pirate XJ - by: HawK_Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Post The 88 Pirate XJ - by: HawK_Racing

Well here we go, This is my build thread. I have been reading posts here for roughly a year and I just recently became a member of cherokeeforum.com. I'm pumped about this. I do believe I have been bit by the Jeep thing. In advance, I truly appreciate anyone who reads this. I hope I can help others on the problems I've experienced and I hope I can get a little help as well.

A little about me. I have been working on motorcycles my whole life. I currently own a 99 Triumph Speed triple 955i and am restoring a 82 Suzuki gs450. I am currently a sophomore at University of Evansville studying Mechanical Engineering. I sold my 1997 Honda Civic that I decked out (I'll try to find some pics) and I bought an old 1988 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer XJ as my next DD/ ongoing project. When I bought it she already had a 4.5" RC lift, brand new Magnaflow exhaust, New battery, new alternator, 31x10.50 Adventuro tires with a spare, pitted out American Racing Wheels, and Sylvania headlights.

The Bads:
I could tell it was clearly offroaded before, but it wasn't abused
Vice grips holding the oil pan on ( this worried me but it didn't leak )
Rear hatch cylinders were failing
Window seals all looked bad
The headliner had about 300 vulgar words and images on it from the guy I bought it from's friends.
The electric windows only work part of the time

It looked like a solid Jeep and had very minimal rust for an 88. I like the body style of the older Jeeps much more than the newer ones.

What it looked like when I brought it home:

To all those Purist out there that only like built not bought Jeeps yall can keep quiet. I believe I have earned the right to own this Jeep after everything I've done it it. The second day I owned it one freeze plug rusted through and leaked all the coolant on the highway. After pulling it home with the Duramax I pulled the motor and changed the freeze plugs and got the coolant issue worked out. I also got new motor mounts. After working on it I immediately fell in love with it.

The next issue came up last week were it started leaking oil. From reading the forums it seems like the rear main seal tends to leak a bunch. Over the last couple days I pulled the oil pan off (I took the Vice grips off too) and cleaned up the pan really good and changed the rear main seal. Last night I put everything back together. And it doesn't leak!!!

While I was working on the rear seal my girlfriend pulled the headliner out. I have been planning on fixing the headliner with a pirate flag or camo. I found a flag off amazon for $4.99 and sewed it on some some fabric i got from Anchor Industries. 7ft x 10ft for $15. I also got some Loctite spray adhesive for close to $5 a can and this was my final product. Hopefully yall like it. I think it looks really good.

Since I took the dome lights out I am planning on running a strip of L.E.D.s down either side of the Jeep to turn on when the doors open. Any good ideas or suggestion?

Painted Grill. I hated the chrome look

I also have a pair of T3 T.600 subs with a Kenwood 1800W amp that I wanted to build a cargo box around. I have seen several cargo boxes but nothing I truly liked. This is my version. Let me know what yall think!

I have a pair of clear turn signal covers that will be here tomorrow, I'll post some pictures of them once i get them on.

Soon to come...
33x12.50 Cooper Stt
Custom Bumpers
Homemade roof rack
Possible half doors
Restore more interior

I'll try my best to keep this thread updated and I'd love to hear feedback from everyone! Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

i love the flag, Might be stealing that when i do my cage
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Thanks! I sewed the flag onto the new fabric and then I just glued the new fabric onto the headliner. I went and tried to talked with a local auto upholstery shop and they kept telling me how hard it was. I simply just laid it out on a ping pong table and went to town on it. I guess they just wanted my business. Sorry I don't have more pictures of the process but it was actually very easy to do. Time consuming, but easy. I would consider it a 2 man job.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 AM

I am in love with my Jeep. I am currently building a roof rack and I will have Pictures soon to come. It has 4 spot lights on it and will have adapters for shovels, axes, Hi-Jack, etc. I am also going wheeling this Thursday at Interlake near Lynville, IN with my cousin in his Toyota Helix. Pictures will also soon follow. for everyone that has read my posts thank you and if anyone has questions about my Jeep let me know. Any suggestions are always appreciated too. Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM

New Roof Rack fabrication thread!!!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ho...rate-xj-90511/

Here's how the Jeep sits now

Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

that thing looks good! i say get some shackles for the rear to even out cause it looks like its sagging.
any plans to trim fenders and get bigger tires?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM

Yes Yes and Yes!!! haha I was going to buy some Cooper STT 33x12.50s and hop up the rear a tad but I ended up buying an AK-47 and a Glock 19. lol but it's all coming. Believe me if I had more money this thing would be amazing. I'd like to trim the fenders but I haven't read to much on it. I think it would looks silly with 4.5" lift, 31"s and cut fenders. I'll prob cut them when I get my 33s though.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: I6 4.0

Nice jeep! And you're right about the trimming, I'm on 30's with 4 1/2 inch lift. Looks weird haha.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Okay well I've been very busy lately and haven't had much time to update on here. Even though it's summer I seem to be just as busy as I always am. Well here we go...

Last week my GF and I went to Interlake near Lynnville Indiana to just wheel around. We had a blast. Nothing crazy since it's my DD and my way home but I can still have fun without tearing anything up. here's a few pics...

Yesterday I was poking around on craigslist and found a set of 33x12.50x15 Firestone Wilderness ATs asking $275 with toyota 6 spoke wheels. I called the guy about them and went to go look at them yesterday. As much as I don't like ATs these looked nice and seemed to be at the right price for not much tread wear. Anyhow I went and picked them up this morning. After talking him down to $150 for them I had them loaded up in the truck and headed home. I really wanted some Cooper STTs but for $150 for rims and tires I dont think I could hardly go wrong.

Here's a pic of what I brought home...

My 31x10.50s are going on my parents TJ. I decided to clean up my old wheels. After some soap and water we have this...

Then I used some aluminum polish ( I didn't dilute it any, but this stuff works great )

Just hose it off and there's nothing to it! I was going to black out the wheels but I just decided to keep the aluminum look for now.

Tomorrow I'm taking them to a buddy's tire shop and getting the new tires on the old wheels. I'm gonna sell the new wheels as well. idk if I can get anything out of them but hey I'll try.

For anyone keeping up with my roof rack it is coming along but slowly. I'm ordering JCR gutter mounts to weld on and seeing how it does. Pics to soon follow.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Yesterday after work I picked up my tires from Pioneer Tire in Boonville, Indiana. Anyone in the area I would highly recommend them. The owner is a great guy. Anyhow I got the clean wheels on the new tires and took it out last night. Oh course I forgot my camera last night so this morning I took a couple pics out in our property. Here's the new tires...

I really like them. They drive nice on the road and I like the size. However, I do need to get another inch or 2 of lift in the rear. Any suggestions? My parents are getting my old tires mounted on their TJ tomorrow. I'll post some pics of it too.

I've been playing around with painting the wheels black. The clean Aluminum looks good but I love black wheels. What do you guys think?

Took a pic of the Rough Country Sticker. Gotta represent

Coming up...
I need to buy some L.E.D.s for the interior since I took out the dome lights for the headliner. I really need some advice for a decent L.E.D. that doesn't break the bank. I'm wanting like a 12" - 24" light strip to put on either side of the inside. Any suggestions would be awesome!

I'm also looking into trimming fenders or just getting a set of fender flares or building my own. We'll see. I've seen a few home-brewed flares that I like but I don't know.

I am also planning on getting my airbox cut or building my own airbox down the road.

The roof rack just got some beefy-er light mounts. It's coming together great. More pics coming!

Thanks for reading and I always appreciate advice and comments
Old 06-10-2011, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Nice truck!

I just got 4 really similar rims for a great price. Eagle alloys.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great man, I LOVE that headliner idea, haha.

I needed an extra inch or two in the rear, so I added Rock Krawler Boomerang shackles, and they work great, they help the shackle angle also.

Are you gonna trim the fenders?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheDale
Are you gonna trim the fenders?
Yeah I'm gonna trim them and I'd like to get something like a Bushwacker's but I'm not bout to chuck $500 for fender flares. I wouldn't mind spending in the $200 range but honestly I think I could make them for well under $50. I just haven't decided what to do yet.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l inline 6cyl

have you thought about checking into flexiable LED light strips? their flexy and can be cut to size if need be.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

dont paint your wheels! they looks nice on blue, and match your bumpers. so if you did paint them you'd have to paint to bumpers to make it match in my opinion, but looking good so far!