Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd 2 door 4 banger build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2wd 2 door 4 banger build

Figure I’d start to post here and keep track of what I do to the cherokee. I don’t have a lot planned as of yet, but I think of something new every day.

Shes a 1993 Cherokee two door with 112k on the clock. 5 speed and 2wd. Purchased in Nevada and brought over to Jersey where it’ll likely be a kick around vehicle and camper.

Started with no wipers and the trunk was stuck shut. Wipers was a combination of the switch and a missing CB. Trunk was this little pin that I was able to bend back (if maybe anyone else has a problem). Blower motor still doesn’t work but who needs it anyway?

Today I started on building the bed for it. With the box that folds down I get about 6’2” of room to lay, which is enough for me at 5’10”. May be able to even squeak my girlfriend next to me since she’s much shorter. Just need one more support going horizontally and some plywood.

The folding box doesn’t actually rub the seat, I had it moved back slightly just to hold everything in place for the photos. I’m thinking about adding small hatches in the plywood by backseat dropoff from the trunk so things can be stored hidden away. And dividing the two sections as well so tupperware can go under the platform in the trunk area, without sliding off into where it drops off.

Planning on getting some curtains for the windows and having someone paint something cool on the roof since there’s no headliner. Definitely a roof basket some day, but I’m looking to do what I can mostly with what I have laying around right now. Will keep this updated. Any suggestions on things to do are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

My first Jeep was a '92 XJ 4 cylinder 2WD that I bought brand new. Pulled an 18' foot Larson bow runner with it. It wasn't long before I got 4X4 fever though. Good luck with the build.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That's a nice Jeep that will last awhile. The 4cyl isn't as great as the 4.0, but as long as you don't abuse it. I like that folding box, but if I were you, I would use at least two hinges instead of one. As far as storage, you have a great idea with using that dead space. If you put plywood on the top of that box (where you lay your head), then you can put a little door (the side near the floor) to store some stuff as well.

I look forward to your progress, it's nice to see another 2wd 2 door be built.