Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$200 Auction jeep

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default $200 Auction jeep

I picked up my 3rd cherokee the other day at an auction that was about 10 miles from my house. i drove the jeep home with just under 220xxx miles, its an 89 and needed some work. but i curently drive it everyday 20 miles to and from work and it hasnt failed me yet. So far all ive done mechanicly is a rebuild tranny that i got for $100, a TPS, CSP sensor, and battery cables. its a definate work in progress and seeing as im still in college and have a part time job so the budgets tight. its coming along though

day i got it

So the inside was thrashed, the back seat was able to be cleaned, along with the carpet inside (other then the cargo area) and i put in some seats from an old 85 cherokee that were more comfortable and clean. my plans for the trunk are to cut out the rust and patch it then rhino line it. so far all ive done is ripped off the grey trim and painted all the grey trim and fender flares black, trimmed the front fenders and bumper, painted the bumper black and put on some old 30 mudders. and redid the headliner camo, and also put on a flowmaster exhaust since the one on there was cracked in half.

I ran out of glue in the middle of doing the headliner so the back isnt held on as tight and looks as good as above the front but i picked up some more headliner glue and am gonna take care of that soon. I am going to try to lift it 4.5 inches and get some 33s by the end of summer. i think its coming along though. im open to any and all comments and suggestions. i need some ideas so lets hear from the pros
Old 07-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

great score man!!!

keep up the good work!

doesnt look like you are on a budget which is nice!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Looking good. I like the black trim much better than the gray. You've got a good start for sure. On lifting it 4.5", you could look at the prices of piecing together a lift if money's too tight to buy a full kit. The kits are great cause you usually get all you need in one purchase, but you probably already know the cost of the good complete kits. I've gone the piecing together route myself. For example, I did a bastard pack in the rear using S-10 springs that gave me 5.5" over how it sat before.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

headliner kinda looks like mine haha
Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Year: 1988

Nice find bro! Its looking good.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by knobturner75
Looking good. I like the black trim much better than the gray. You've got a good start for sure. On lifting it 4.5", you could look at the prices of piecing together a lift if money's too tight to buy a full kit. The kits are great cause you usually get all you need in one purchase, but you probably already know the cost of the good complete kits. I've gone the piecing together route myself. For example, I did a bastard pack in the rear using S-10 springs that gave me 5.5" over how it sat before.
Yeah i have priced out building my own lift compared to buying a kit, unfortunatly the jy around here charges an arm and a leg for everything so sadly its about the same price either way so im saving up for the 4.5 rc lift with the rear springs. i know some guys dont like RC lifts but i had the 3 inch with AAL in my old jeep and didnt mind it, i dont get to wheel real often so its good for a hunting/dd rig.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Coming along nicely. Great find as well! It definitely doesn't look like a budget project. Good work!
Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 PM

I understand about the junk yard. We used to only have the one in town and prices were ok, but then a new u-pull it yard opened and that changed things drastically. For example, those S-10 springs cost me $20. I've got Rusty's front springs and shocks and Rough Country's long arm upgrade kit that I need to finish installing. My friend has a 97 Cherokee that has a Rough Country 3" kit and he's happy with it. He actually purchased it with an add-a-leaf for the rear. He has since done the bastard pack in the rear to remove the add-a-leaf and couldn't be happier. Worth the money for the full spring packs.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

Nice jeep project and you got a great deal too for $200.00..
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 AM

thanks all for the support, i think its coming along and looking alot better then what i have invested into it. i am planning on blacking out the windows with some tint, i think that will help the look quite a bit. also soon to come is a roof rack and some rock sliders. still in the process of drawing up some sliders i like that arent over whelming
Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 PM

got a chance to go to the junkyard today and picked up a coolent resivor, driver pocket window and an armrest for the center console for a project, all for $30 bucks. our state just passed a new law that if your caught with your pohone in your hand your ticketed, since i use mine to listen to music i cut and recoverd the armrest i got to fit my phone.

Fits nice and tight and looks pretty decent i think, i also like how its out of the way and not sliding around and yet the armrest is still usable.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 AM

took the jeep on a 80 mile trip today, I was towing my bike in a 5x9 trailer. made it all the way there and then the fuel pump went out. having AAA was helpful so i didnt have to change it on the side of the road, AAA gave me a tow for free so i took advantage of it.

Anyways, had the pump changed in about an hour WITHOUT dropping the tank, i had heard both you had to have it dropped and that it didnt have to be. the only snafu i ran into was the strainer fell off the old unit, a little fishing in the tank full of gas and i had it out haha
Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by jeep_guy3
Yeah i have priced out building my own lift compared to buying a kit, unfortunatly the jy around here charges an arm and a leg for everything so sadly its about the same price either way so im saving up for the 4.5 rc lift with the rear springs. i know some guys dont like RC lifts but i had the 3 inch with AAL in my old jeep and didnt mind it, i dont get to wheel real often so its good for a hunting/dd rig.
Don't think I'd ever be brave enough to lift my Jeep up that high if it were still my DD, the mileage would drop like a stone, especially since 4.5" has 31/33s written all over it.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 liter h.o.

Originally Posted by Addy
Don't think I'd ever be brave enough to lift my Jeep up that high if it were still my DD, the mileage would drop like a stone, especially since 4.5" has 31/33s written all over it.
that is what gears are for. gear it correctly for your tire size and there shouldnt be any reason not to get stock gas mileage
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by 91xj
that is what gears are for. gear it correctly for your tire size and there shouldnt be any reason not to get stock gas mileage
I suppose. Just seems like a deep investment for new wraps on your rims, lift, shocks, probably lcas, and the general cost of regearing for anyone on a part-time job + college budget.

That and I'm way too stuck in teenager mentality and there is absolutely no way I could take my DD around at 70mph on Oklahoma's highways

Oh, and I almost cheered when I saw that you redid that saggy headliner. Beautiful

Quick Reply: $200 Auction jeep