Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 XJ First build.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Default 1990 XJ First build.

Well, I'll give you a brief history. Last year I got my Jeep and it looked like this:

It ran alright for a while, but then I discovered I needed to completely rip out all the wiring in the dash because it had melted together causing my tail lights and dash lights to not work. Then, I replaced the oil filter and the oil/transmission fluid was all replaced. It ran alright after that, but I was having bad idling problems and the engine kept stalling. I ignored it because of being busy at work but eventually it ended up looking like this:

So luckily I have friends who own a shop and I sent it to them to help me figure out what was wrong with it so I could work on it. Turns out I needed to replace and/or repair a whole lot of important stuff. (I was riding my Bianchi to work every day while it wasn't running.)

1. Map sensor
2. Ignition coil
3. Starter
4. Brakes
5. Master cylinder
6. Fuel injectors
7. Fuel pressure regulator
8. Spark plugs
9. Brake booster

So I took a week off from work to do all of this work to it. I finished it in a couple days and it runs so nicely now. I popped a glasspack on there for fun, also. Since I figured I was already dropping money on it I decided to get myself a cheap lift and put some new tires on it. Lift should be coming later this week, hopefully. You never know with UPS in this area though. Going to stick some new tires on there and buy a rack. I've put this off too long, I got the car for about a grand and now I want to make a budget build out of it. Anyways, since the engine is cherry now and my lift was on its way... I decided to paint it my favorite color.

So I sanded it...

Primed it...

And rattle-can'd it to a glorious moss green. (Yes, it's rustoleum)

Well, I'll keep you guys updated. Anybody have suggestions for a rack? I don't have a welder so I can't build one.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 AM

Forgot to mention, also purchased a CB radio which I'll be mounting as soon as I get time off work.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: inline 6

looking good so far. you did a lot of prep before you rattle caned it lol i probably should have done the same. i didnt mask off anything lol
Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 PM

I probably did about 4 hours of prep work. (Sanding, taping) before I primed and also before I painted. It was tedious.