Mid Atlantic West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina

Potts Mtn Va, after the fire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Potts Mtn Va, after the fire!

Its open! We wheeled it today and had a blast. You can barely tell there was a fire up there. I don't have any pics of my junk in action but I snapped a few of a nice ARB locked F/R TJ. This guy beat on the D-30 way more than it should have took!

He drove up the other side of this rock for the "poser" shot. It walked the 4' ledge!
Name:  0624121557.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  140.5 KB

This is a legal play area that is a bit knarly. He went up this ledge then turned and dropped back off of it.
Name:  0624121539.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  159.0 KB
Name:  0624121539a.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  149.8 KB
Name:  0624121539b.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  154.5 KB
Name:  0624121539c.jpg
Size:  151.6 KB
Name:  0624121539d.jpg
Size:  147.8 KB

This was the coolest rig on the trail today! Its a 79 Yota long bed 2wd converted 4wd with 82 running gear under it, welded front rear, Marlin Crawler T-case with some lower gear reduction, 5 spd, 22R(carbed) 33's and cool as hell! This truck has inspired me to build a long bed MJ to replace Old Blue with.
Name:  0624121533.jpg
Size:  386.1 KB
Name:  0624121527.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  150.9 KB
Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

Nice, definitely a cool looking old Yota.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 PM

Just got back from Potts, the roads to and from the trail have been re graded and drive wonderfully, new fern growth is covering a lot of the charred sections and the trail itself is in great shape, I had a blast! Ran it by myself, but hope to get out with some of you guys soon
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dsmiller
Just got back from Potts, the roads to and from the trail have been re graded and drive wonderfully, new fern growth is covering a lot of the charred sections and the trail itself is in great shape, I had a blast! Ran it by myself, but hope to get out with some of you guys soon
You must live close by. Yes the roads are much better, the trail is getting a little more challenging at the bypass and the stacks. We had a JK and a 4runner both break at the stacks yesterday. Limped both out. We went "bottom up".

Were you confronted by any land owners up there? We are having an issue with 2 brothers that live on adjoining property that want to close the trail. They confronted(and videoed)us at the stacks. It was uncomfortable to have to winch a broken rig out while they were jawing in my ear! It took all the restraint I had. The local Forestry Rangers have been notified and are going to look into it.

Just a note to anyone that goes up there; They may be up there and if they are be non-confrontational and ignore them. It worked for us, they left after we ignored them. They are waiting for someone to break the rules and video them to aid in closing the trail so mind all of the trail rules up there. The rules are listed at each end of the trail on signs.

Last edited by xjtrailrider; 06-25-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM

I live in the grandin area, but was feeling adventuresome and had a rig full of tools and spare parts. My previous trip up solo was a disaster. I broke my transfer case and got stuck in the snow for a few hours, it was really stupid and kind of exciting in retrospect. We weren't confronted by anyone, but did see some friendly forest service workers. I'll definitely be sure to alert everyone I talk to about these brothers and their "efforts". Hopefully through responsible action it will remain open for a long time to come!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 PM

I live in the grandin area, but was feeling adventuresome and had a rig full of tools and spare parts. My previous trip up solo was a disaster. I broke my transfer case and got stuck in the snow for a few hours, it was really stupid and kind of exciting in retrospect. We weren't confronted by anyone, but did see some friendly forest service workers. I'll definitely be sure to alert everyone I talk to about these brothers and their "efforts". Hopefully through responsible action it will remain open for a long time to come!
Thanks! Yep, i don't go up there alone. We have rescued a couple of stranded people and their rigs over the years. One was rolled and it was a family with little ones on a cold fall night.

Hopefully the forestry service Rangers will suppress the confrontations from the locals.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 PM

Year: 1992

I plan on taking a trip out to potts here very soon.How is the trail difficulty wise?It will be me and a few friends.One is stock,two of us are 6.5 on 33's,one is 3.5 on 32's.Anything we should know before making the drive out?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 PM

You will need Winches and tow straps, top to bottom is easier than bottom to top, and I would recommend going with someone who has run the trail before as a couple of spots are fairly tricky if you don't know the lines. Post on here when you are going and I'll get up there if I can
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by xjtrailrider

Thanks! Yep, i don't go up there alone. We have rescued a couple of stranded people and their rigs over the years. One was rolled and it was a family with little ones on a cold fall night.

Hopefully the forestry service Rangers will suppress the confrontations from the locals.
Yeah it's not the smartest but my significant other isn't much for wheeling and if I don't get out to wheel on the weekdays sometimes I don't get out at all, but I've got her going up to Crozet this weekend!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 PM

You will need Winches and tow straps, top to bottom is easier than bottom to top, and I would recommend going with someone who has run the trail before as a couple of spots are fairly tricky if you don't know the lines. Post on here when you are going and I'll get up there if I can
3 of us are winched/have recovery covered.

How do you get in to run top to bottem?The only directions i have put you at the bottem of the trail.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:20 AM

Where are you coming from?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Wink

Where are you coming from?
Salem
Old 06-27-2012, 04:32 PM

The easiest way(least amount of turns);

Take 311 through New Castle. Go 9 miles past New Castle and when you top off Potts Mtn on 311 there will be a gravel road on your right called Potts East. take that gravel road until you reach a "T"(about 8 miles).
Make a right and the trail is immediately on your left and is marked. There is a good flat parking area to air down and disconnect in.

PLEASE obey the rules up there! Its getting harder and harder to keep this trail open! Between the locals and the fire, we are struggling. It would only take one person misbehaving to close it for all of us!

Stay on the trail! If its not marked with a red placard then its considered "wilderness" and its off limits. There are 3 play areas that are also marked.

No alcohol, don't toss cig butts out into the brush and try your best to tread lightly.

But by all means, go enjoy the best public trail that VA has to offer! It belongs to all of us so lets leave it in good shape for the next person who goes in.

You will not have cell service for most of the trail, its that remote! so be careful, think safety first and know that it could be hours before you can be removed from the area if a serious injury occurs.

Carry in plenty of water, extra food, tools, and rig specific parts that are know to be troublesome(like the CPS on a XJ)

When you reach the bottom you need to know the way home so i would take a Nav unit with you to get you back to 311

I will be out of town for the next two weekends or I would be glad to guide you and spot you through. With good spotting, some rock stacking, a stockish rig will make it through but it won't be a joy ride!

Enjoy!