North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Where to stay, what to see in Newyork city?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Where to stay, what to see in Newyork city?

I am open to suggestions. Me and my wife will be travelling to US on 24th to visit our relatives in Buffalo NY. But first stop is New york city. Where to stay? Which hotel should we choose? We need a quite,simple but clean and smoking free hotel which ranges between USD100 to 150. We will be tourists so we need a nice location to walk around.

or

We can go Buffalo first, we can come back to New york after holiday since we have return tickets again from JFK airport.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member

any newyorkers?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

I would say to google hotels for prices, I live right across the water but have no need to stay overnight there.
http://gonyc.about.com/od/planyourtr..._planner_3.htm
as far as what to see, what are your interests? everything is a train ride or walk away.
see the tree, Rockefeller center, times square and the list can go on for hours lol
Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Moved thread to North Atlantic You will prolly get better responses in this section.
Me... I do not know of any good hotels in NYC. I've never slept there over night.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:51 AM

Engine: 4.0L inline 6

I dont know about hotels but the cool spots to hit for restaurants bars and small shops the lower east side. Theres a restaurant called Supper. They have Italian food. the lemon pasta is my favorite. Chelsea is also a cool neighborhood. If you stay in the time square area it will cost more to stay, so look for hotels below 28th st. hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

i live near buffalo ny so i cant help you out in the nyc area
Old 12-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Member

thank you guys.

today i bought tickets for domestic flight JFK to Buffalo. i hope clearing customs will not take more than 1 hour. if we cant manage to catch the flight to Buffalo at 10:55, we will be sleeping in airport i guess.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Here is what I do on weekends when I don't want to spend alot of money but I want to hang out in the city or show someone around:

If you get there on a clear day, then hop on the metro and go south to the South Ferry station. Get a hot chocolate and board the free Staten Island Ferry. You'll have great views of the Statue of Liberty as the Ferry goes over to staten island and since it's cold out there won't be many people on the outer part of the ferry. Turn around at the other end and head back to where you got on the ferry. Once you get back, you can check out Battery Park which is right there to the West of the ferry landing. They usually have a winter garden this time of year. Then I would walk the few blocks north and see the Twin Towers Memorial. Buy now it'll be coming up on lunchtime and you can hop the metro and go all the way north to Central Park. Get a slice of pizza and go check out the ice skating rink and some of the incredible views of the city from the rock parks in Central Park. To warm up, you can then check out the toy store from the movie BIG which is at the corner of the park. It's called FAO Schwarz. When you leave the toy store there will be lots of shopping. More than you will know what to look at. The park/toy store is at 60th and you can start walking south towards Time Square at 42nd. Along the way you can stop at the theatre distict around 49th and get a cup of coffee and if you have time go see a show. Your going to want to get to Times Square after dark so you can check out the tree at Rockerfeller Center and all of the lights in the square of course. If you aren't tired yet, and have the money to spend catch a cab to the Empire State Building and go up to the top to check out the city from above. There is so much to see and do I hope you have a good time.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

brian, thank you for valuable suggestions.

being an alien on NY is not a problem actually but timing is really big issue i guess.
We have flight to US on 24th and we will arrive to JFK at 8:45 pm. our domestic flight in US ( which we decided to visit relatives first then to return back to newyork in first week of january ) is at 10:55 pm.

if we cant manage to clear customs quickly i am afraid we wont be able to catch the flight. but there is no choice becasue 10:55 was the last flight when i was purchasing tickets.( jet blue)

if we cant catch the flight (and we wil be loosing usd260 btw) where to stay? region/district called jamaica has few airport style sleep over hotels, but do yo have any idea about them? at least can we find a hotel room same night? how can we go there?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I work right by jfk and i would say the http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...k-jfk-airport/ is a good hotel and they have a shuttel but that will take you to and from the air port and I think he covered all the good hot spots.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM

I have visited NYC a few times now while out visiting my cousin who is a NYC handyman. As for places to stay, you may do well on a hotel website. As for what to see, well Rockefeller would be a good stop this time of year. Especially since you are going to be there on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, I do not think you will be able to even get to try to see a live taping of a show. You should also try to tour some of the major network's studios. If it is your first time, hit the usual suspect spots: Times Square, Statue of Liberty, etc. If you are looking for a good place to eat, I am fond of the meat packing district. Good steakhouses that way.

Last edited by stefan s; 12-26-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Seasoned Member

thanks! we are leaving home today and flying to NY.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gmv93
thanks! we are leaving home today and flying to NY.
Good luck with making all of your connections!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Seasoned Member

well.. i returned back to home on sunday. my trip was nice to NY state, and i ve been in Toronto too.

We missed our flight on new years eve(to Buffalo). we stayed at JFK terminal for 6 hours and tried to sleep on Jet Blue terminal. Allllll night long, they played pop version of christmas songs every body gone to home. next morning they picked us up from airport in Buffalo. everybody was sleeping and highways were totally deserted i have never seen such thing in my life in my country.

In New York city we spent 3 nights before returnening back to home, stayed at Warwick hotel in 6th avenue, 54th street. Highly recommended.

Thanks for your input on this topic.