Pennsylvania fender flare laws - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Wheeling Neighborhoods > North Atlantic
Pennsylvania fender flare laws >

Pennsylvania fender flare laws

North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Pennsylvania fender flare laws

Old 10-21-2018, 09:05 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Pennsylvania fender flare laws

So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I've seen lot of different people say different things about fender flare laws in PA. According to the inspection website, flares can't be more than 3" wide. I've heard stories about people passing inspection with wider flares before too. I cant seem to find anything in the PennDot website or any other official website saying anything about tires sticking past the flares, so it seems like a grey area because I've heard stories about cops pulling people over for that. What is your interpretation of the fender flare laws?
EDIT: I just found this website: http://www.liftlaws.com/pennsylvania_lift_laws.htm and it says that the fender has to cover the entire tread of the tire. What if the sidewall is sticking out?

Last edited by Djbtraxxas; 10-21-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Djbtraxxas View Post
So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I've seen lot of different people say different things about fender flare laws in PA. According to the inspection website, flares can't be more than 3" wide. I've heard stories about people passing inspection with wider flares before too. I cant seem to find anything in the PennDot website or any other official website saying anything about tires sticking past the flares, so it seems like a grey area because I've heard stories about cops pulling people over for that. What is your interpretation of the fender flare laws?
EDIT: I just found this website: http://www.liftlaws.com/pennsylvania_lift_laws.htm and it says that the fender has to cover the entire tread of the tire. What if the sidewall is sticking out?
Sidewalls don't matter, tread blocks only. I've been an inspection mechanic for almost 10 years, for reference... Haha. Most cops won't care how wide your flares are, and neither will most inspection stations..... As long as the tread is covered

Last edited by foxmxrcer; 10-29-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by foxmxrcer View Post
Sidewalls don't matter, tread blocks only. I've been an induction mechanic for almost 10 years, for reference... Haha. Most cops won't care how wide your flares are, and neither will most inspection stations..... As long as the tread is covered
Okay thanks for that reply. I've seen so many different things said from people who have no idea what they're talking about.