North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Pennsylvania fender flare laws

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Pennsylvania fender flare laws

So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I've seen lot of different people say different things about fender flare laws in PA. According to the inspection website, flares can't be more than 3" wide. I've heard stories about people passing inspection with wider flares before too. I cant seem to find anything in the PennDot website or any other official website saying anything about tires sticking past the flares, so it seems like a grey area because I've heard stories about cops pulling people over for that. What is your interpretation of the fender flare laws?
EDIT: I just found this website: http://www.liftlaws.com/pennsylvania_lift_laws.htm and it says that the fender has to cover the entire tread of the tire. What if the sidewall is sticking out?

Last edited by Djbtraxxas; 10-21-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Djbtraxxas
So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I've seen lot of different people say different things about fender flare laws in PA. According to the inspection website, flares can't be more than 3" wide. I've heard stories about people passing inspection with wider flares before too. I cant seem to find anything in the PennDot website or any other official website saying anything about tires sticking past the flares, so it seems like a grey area because I've heard stories about cops pulling people over for that. What is your interpretation of the fender flare laws?
EDIT: I just found this website: http://www.liftlaws.com/pennsylvania_lift_laws.htm and it says that the fender has to cover the entire tread of the tire. What if the sidewall is sticking out?
Sidewalls don't matter, tread blocks only. I've been an inspection mechanic for almost 10 years, for reference... Haha. Most cops won't care how wide your flares are, and neither will most inspection stations..... As long as the tread is covered

Last edited by foxmxrcer; 10-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by foxmxrcer
Sidewalls don't matter, tread blocks only. I've been an induction mechanic for almost 10 years, for reference... Haha. Most cops won't care how wide your flares are, and neither will most inspection stations..... As long as the tread is covered
Okay thanks for that reply. I've seen so many different things said from people who have no idea what they're talking about.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Banned

Had just the same question before checking this thread