North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Off roading tips/ observations?

Old 06-28-2018, 08:07 PM
  #31  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Tip #3 Rules of the road. If you meet somebody going while going downhill, the person going uphill has the right of way. That way there is no backing up going downhill
That makes so much sense! Who the hell wants to go bass ackward downhill?!
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 PM
  #32  
CF Veteran
 
4.3L XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 4,412
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system
Default

Originally Posted by Ironside93 View Post
That makes so much sense! Who the hell wants to go bass ackward downhill?!
Especially with a loaded log truck
4.3L XJ is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 09:25 PM
  #33  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Especially with a loaded log truck
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 07:52 AM
  #34  
CF Veteran
 
Bugout4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,457
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

When I was a kid we used to go bass ackwards up hills in the 47 duce and a half 10 wheel drive. Those eight drives pulled much better when they went up first.
Bugout4x4 is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 08:55 AM
  #35  
CF Veteran
 
4.3L XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 4,412
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system
Default

Tip #4 Don't drink and drive. It is bad enough driving on pavement when drinking. Off road it is worse. Every once and awhile someone dies on the Rubicon near me. Alcohol is always involved. In most roll overs too. You have to use all your abilities off road due to changing conditions
4.3L XJ is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 AM
  #36  
CF Veteran
 
Jeepin'_Aint_EZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,208
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Tip #4 Don't drink and drive. It is bad enough driving on pavement when drinking. Off road it is worse. Every once and awhile someone dies on the Rubicon near me. Alcohol is always involved. In most roll overs too. You have to use all your abilities off road due to changing conditions
....aka liquid lockers..... getchya in trouble quick
Jeepin'_Aint_EZ is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 01:43 PM
  #37  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Tip #4 Don't drink and drive. It is bad enough driving on pavement when drinking. Off road it is worse. Every once and awhile someone dies on the Rubicon near me. Alcohol is always involved. In most roll overs too. You have to use all your abilities off road due to changing conditions
It is never ever a good idea to drink and drive, I don't care how long someone has been driving, you don't screw around with that.
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:02 PM
  #38  
CF Veteran
 
4.3L XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 4,412
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system
Default

Originally Posted by Ironside93 View Post
It is never ever a good idea to drink and drive, I don't care how long someone has been driving, you don't screw around with that.
I added this because there are a lot of people who don't think they can have fun off road without alcoholic lubricants
4.3L XJ is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM
  #39  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
I added this because there are a lot of people who don't think they can have fun off road without alcoholic lubricants
That's really sad if that is what people think
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:36 PM
  #40  
Member
 
outersketcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 195
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4 View Post
It is very surprising how rough of terrain you can actually traverse by doing this. Just snake your way up though it keeping this principle in mind.
If I could add to this..

Tho I'm no 4 wheeling expert. In my limited, weekend wheeling experiences. I have found that in most cases, the jeep seems to "know" the way it wants to take. And if you kinda let the front wheels find that sweet spot.. the jeep will almost find it's own way up most hills.

Maybe.. stated better.. you wiggle your front wheels around and the moment the tires bite into something.. and seem to want it.. let them have it.

It doesnt ALL have to be you forcing the jeep to take the path you want.
outersketcher is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:59 PM
  #41  
CF Veteran
 
Bugout4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,457
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
If I could add to this..

Tho I'm no 4 wheeling expert. In my limited, weekend wheeling experiences. I have found that in most cases, the jeep seems to "know" the way it wants to take. And if you kinda let the front wheels find that sweet spot.. the jeep will almost find it's own way up most hills.

Maybe.. stated better.. you wiggle your front wheels around and the moment the tires bite into something.. and seem to want it.. let them have it.

It doesnt ALL have to be you forcing the jeep to take the path you want.
You are absolutely right! There is a "feel" to it for both yourself and the Jeep. Sometimes it's like riding a horse, if you have a soft touch and "let it have it's head" for the most part it finds it's own path. I have had the steering wheel spin it's self back and forth quite a bit during a climb over stuff yet the vehicle is going in a straight path over it all.
Bugout4x4 is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 03:22 PM
  #42  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
If I could add to this..

Tho I'm no 4 wheeling expert. In my limited, weekend wheeling experiences. I have found that in most cases, the jeep seems to "know" the way it wants to take. And if you kinda let the front wheels find that sweet spot.. the jeep will almost find it's own way up most hills.

Maybe.. stated better.. you wiggle your front wheels around and the moment the tires bite into something.. and seem to want it.. let them have it.

It doesnt ALL have to be you forcing the jeep to take the path you want.
Definitely! That makes sense since if it's not a good surface you'll know right away from the front tires
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 04:27 PM
  #43  
CF Veteran
 
4.3L XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 4,412
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system
Default

Tip #5 Know the limitations of your equipment. Many people think 4X4 means ***** to the wall. The XJ in its stock form is not quite up to that, even though very capable. I had a Jeep built for air time, but it is not this one. Can you wheel a locked D35 in the rocks, yes if you respect it. See my avatar, this is a formidable obstacle done slowly with respect to the equipment. That D35 has been mine for 13 years now, no problems.
4.3L XJ is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 05:09 PM
  #44  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Tip #5 Know the limitations of your equipment. Many people think 4X4 means ***** to the wall. The XJ in its stock form is not quite up to that, even though very capable. I had a Jeep built for air time, but it is not this one. Can you wheel a locked D35 in the rocks, yes if you respect it. See my avatar, this is a formidable obstacle done slowly with respect to the equipment. That D35 has been mine for 13 years now, no problems.
This is exactly why I don't go off-roading with the truck anymore lol
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-30-2018, 11:49 AM
  #45  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Something else I just thought of is don't forget to bring some form of communication! Cell phone, CB radio, signal flare (a bit extreme tbh) cause you never know if you're gonna need to call for some help or something.
Ironside93 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off roading tips/ observations?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: