North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Off roading tips/ observations?

Old 06-28-2018, 03:25 PM
  #16  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4 View Post
Amen... or this guy!

Hey that looks familiar!
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:00 PM
  #17  
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: WV
Posts: 328
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

If you are new to off roadin, do not go on difficult trails or try rock crawling. Go on some easy trails and get the feel of being off of pavement and your set up / rig. Try to go with someone experienced and be open to suggestions and pointers.
samiam is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 PM
  #18  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by samiam View Post
If you are new to off roadin, do not go on difficult trails or try rock crawling. Go on some easy trails and get the feel of being off of pavement and your set up / rig. Try to go with someone experienced and be open to suggestions and pointers.
Absolutely, especially when your new to an area and haven't ever been there
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:31 PM
  #19  
CF Veteran
 
4.3L XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 4,412
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system
Default

Tip #2. Everybody says pick your line, but don't tell you how to do it. There are two things involved unless you have lockers. First is avoid hitting things like your differential, any oil pans and gas tank on stuff. Second is to keep the same amount of pressure between the tires and ground as possible. So in other words, don't try to flex your suspension out. As soon as the pressure gets unequal enough, your tires will spin and you will be in two wheel drive, one on each corner
4.3L XJ is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:41 PM
  #20  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Tip #2. Everybody says pick your line, but don't tell you how to do it. There are two things involved unless you have lockers. First is avoid hitting things like your differential, any oil pans and gas tank on stuff. Second is to keep the same amount of pressure between the tires and ground as possible. So in other words, don't try to flex your suspension out. As soon as the pressure gets unequal enough, your tires will spin and you will be in two wheel drive, one on each corner
So try to keep the tires equally footed?
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:50 PM
  #21  
CF Veteran
 
Bugout4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,457
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Ironside93 View Post
Hey that looks familiar!
Yep... Some dummy took the trail for granted... lol
Bugout4x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:50 PM
  #22  
CF Veteran
 
4.3L XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 4,412
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system
Default

Yes, try to keep the suspension as close as possible to what it would be on the street
4.3L XJ is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM
  #23  
CF Veteran
 
Bugout4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,457
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Tip #2. Everybody says pick your line, but don't tell you how to do it. There are two things involved unless you have lockers. First is avoid hitting things like your differential, any oil pans and gas tank on stuff. Second is to keep the same amount of pressure between the tires and ground as possible. So in other words, don't try to flex your suspension out. As soon as the pressure gets unequal enough, your tires will spin and you will be in two wheel drive, one on each corner
Well pointed out and well said.
Bugout4x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:54 PM
  #24  
CF Veteran
 
Bugout4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,457
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Yes, try to keep the suspension as close as possible to what it would be on the street
It is very surprising how rough of terrain you can actually traverse by doing this. Just snake your way up though it keeping this principle in mind.
Bugout4x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:51 PM
  #25  
CF Veteran
 
TwistedWrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,472
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default

Straddle the ruts.
TwistedWrench is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 06:51 PM
  #26  
CF Veteran
 
unidentifiedbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DE
Posts: 5,548
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default

Air down. If you have skid plates and hear scrapping underneath but aren't stop don't worry about it. Think of the trail as Tetris and try to pick the best line you can. Don't be afraid to ask for a spotter.
unidentifiedbomb is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 PM
  #27  
CF Veteran
 
TwistedWrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,472
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default

Climbing steep inclines is like tackling mud, just in slow motion.

Dont stop if you can avoid it. Steady on the throttle, let the jeep do the work. Keep the line, nose pointed up the hill, if you turn to the side gravity can take over quickly.

Despite how cool it looks on YouTube, lol, resist the urge to just barrel up the hill. Quick way to break ****, or worse lose control.
TwistedWrench is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 PM
  #28  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench View Post
Climbing steep inclines is like tackling mud, just in slow motion.

Dont stop if you can avoid it. Steady on the throttle, let the jeep do the work. Keep the line, nose pointed up the hill, if you turn to the side gravity can take over quickly.

Despite how cool it looks on YouTube, lol, resist the urge to just barrel up the hill. Quick way to break ****, or worse lose control.
Yeah driving fast is really dumb. Like why wreck when you can just go slow?
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 PM
  #29  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Ironside93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cranston, Rhode Island/Swansea, Massachusetts
Posts: 305
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb View Post
Air down. If you have skid plates and hear scrapping underneath but aren't stop don't worry about it. Think of the trail as Tetris and try to pick the best line you can. Don't be afraid to ask for a spotter.
Definitely gonna do the air down
Ironside93 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 07:51 PM
  #30  
CF Veteran
 
4.3L XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 4,412
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system
Default

Tip #3 Rules of the road. If you meet somebody going while going downhill, the person going uphill has the right of way. That way there is no backing up going downhill
4.3L XJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off roading tips/ observations?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: