North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Help with NJ inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Help with NJ inspection

So I'm planning on getting the jeep tinted but as most of you know New Jersey does not allow us to tint the front windows. But its going to look like **** with out them tinted.

So does anyone know of a shop that will let me pay to pass inspection with tinted windows?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

im gonna take a wild guess here and say the mods will close this thread shortly.

i think it's illegal to have someone fudge your inspection.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM

darn
Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Simply put DONT DO IT! Trust me I have tints on my car now that I DD in New Jersey and I got hit with the $79 dollar tint ticket whick is no big deal. But now last week I was coming off a highway and a cop is standing in the road and directs me into a parking lot. So I pull in and theres a trailer that says Mobile Department of Motor Vehicles Inspection Unit on the side of it. They inspected my car on the spot my car is a 2008 and didn't have to be inspected until 2012. They failed me me for various mods I had on my car and then scraped my inspection sticker off and slapped a rejected sticker on it. I asked them why they set this up and they answered theres too many unsafe vehicles on the road and NJ DMV will be setting these up all over the state as random vehicle checks. That is what the people from the DMV told me themselves. So basically my car is going back to stock and not changing that until I get rid of it. Its not worth dealing with these things its more of a hassle to get my car reinspected so ill sell my parts and make some money.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Wow that sucks ... and its not so much the cars ... its the drivers lol. they give out licenses way to easy for how many people are on the road and there are way to many bad drivers in NJ and I'm not saying ur one of them

But Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

jjag, what kind of car is it and where do you live?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM

its Civic Si and I live in Totowa but it happened in Little Falls
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

uhm, yeah. I figured that would be what the car is. Honda Civic is a police magnet. Dude, I live by vineland and it is like the land of POS hoopty hondas that are slammed like crazy and bounce like crazy because they are not lowered using the poper struts and springs and such. TOTALY NOT SAFE CARS. DMV is doing no suprise inspections there. It's just places like where you live for whatever reason I guess. Their line telling you it is to stop unsafe cars is BS. They are just looking to generate money or something. Did you get tickets or just failed that day? What else is done to it?? I am hating NJ more and more every second of my life.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

I wouldnt do it either...I am a delivery driver I am all over the state and I see these check points as stated earlier. They are very aggressive at them, tinted windows like that is asking for it, and once your pulled into one, they will check every inch of your car.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM

no they give absolutely zero tickets they just make you go in and get inspected including the exhaust sniffer and I'm glad I'm not the only person who has been in/seen this happen so everyone on here doesn't think I'm BSing but the DMV even checked the vin on my motor made me pop the trunk and looked along floor panels and under the dash for aftermarket switches and my mods were modded airbox with k&n drop in, catback exhaust, tints, hids, and thats basically it but they got me for tints, hids, exhaust being too loud, and said my tires were too worn which i measured them they are not

Last edited by jjagr41390; 02-02-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Member

uhm yeah, there is no state legal limit for exhaust loudness.... I failed once in my tacoma 3 years ago. I argued with the manager at the inspection station and asked to see what the legal limit was and how they tested it (ie: decibel meter) and she couldn't show me anything and just said "it's too loud". As for intake and stuff. As long as you pass the smog test, you can have what ever you want on your motor in NJ. I really think something bigger was going on. Like they are looking for stollen motors and such and are using the inspection as a cover.
Also, I have been pulled over by state troops at 3 am in my gutted drift car (was doing 82 on the turnpike heading south by exit 8a). They questioned my inspection sticker (the one trooper was trying to pull it off the windshield) and found a few things wrong with my car (missing corner light, loose front bumper held on with zipties and cracked windshield by the vin plate). They were cool and only gave me a ticket for the crack. I also think those inspections are more about what county or town you are in
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM

idk I talked to the detective in my town and he said that they got a letter from the DMV saying they will be doing these they will contact the police department to set up whens and wheres
Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 AM

well thanks everybody looks like I'm not tinting the front windows. but for the exhaust loudness i asked the captain in my town and he said @ a 45 degree angle from 14ft away from the back of your car it can be no loader the 95 DBs.so get a decibal meeter from your police department and test it then argue it. but check your county's law about it.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

Originally Posted by hotride3021
So I'm planning on getting the jeep tinted but as most of you know New Jersey does not allow us to tint the front windows. But its going to look like **** with out them tinted.

So does anyone know of a shop that will let me pay to pass inspection with tinted windows?
i'm a little insulted, my jeep is 100% clear all around and it in no way looks like ****. is tint really more important than your suspension or axles? dark windows don't get you further in the trails. just my $.02 . people i know that really want tinted from windows get there car/truck inspected with a fresh sticker then tint it..if you get pulled over for it just be polite and chances are you'll be fine.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM

You misunderstood 96xj4x4 I meant with tint on the back and not on the front windows would look bad IMO ... I think my XJ looks great with all clear all the way around. I think it looks stupid when you have the back all tinted with really dark tint and clear up front.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding i mean to insult you. and I agree with you tint wont get me any further into the trail but its more of a highway hog haha. till i get a job to get the XJ the way I want it

Quick Reply: Help with NJ inspection