North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default Buyer Beware

Normally I don't like to play good guy bad guy but I feel this one is necessary. http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/2860446365.html The Jeep in this ad used to be mine not to mention he used MY photo of the Jeep in HIS AD, you can see my older post listing it for sale and why. I traded it for this kids VW Golf on Jan 24th (keep that date in mind as it says he changed the oil every 3k) as I needed a more fuel efficient vehicle and asked him on multiple occasions if the car had any issues to which he said it only had a problem with reverse everything else was good. After tuning the car up it seemed to be driving fine but noticed after extended drives it would pop out of third and fifth (this didn't start until a few days after getting the car). I did some research and came to the idea that rebuilding the shift linkage should help as it also began to become difficult to put the car in third and fourth gear was disappearing. To not make a novel out of it the shift linkage wasn't the issue the problem was discovered when checking the transmission fluid which was not to the fill point. TWO quarts later it was filled up, there was almost no tranny fluid left, well come to find out the car was puking it all out needless to say I need a new transmission. This is just one of the many annoying issues I'm finding with this car. I can't fully blame him as it was my mistake to take this guys word that nothing was wrong with the car and I was completely honest about the Jeep and its problems. I just don't want to see anyone get potentially scammed by this person again and if you or someone you know may be interested in the Jeep at least please take the time to contact me so I can tell you the truth about the Jeep in case he tries to lie again.

In conclusion I hate liars and don't want to see anyone in the Jeep community get scammed by this kid. I'm not happy I had to make a post like this but I feel obligated to not let someone else get burned like I did.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: I-6 4.0 L

Do some phone calls need to be made?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM

I already contacted him so he knows what I think, even though he avoids my messages. I just wanted to put it out there so if someone does have interest in the jeep I can give them honest answers to the best of my knowledge as I don't want anyone to fall for this kids lies if he tries to scam another person. I don't feel it would be right to call just to harass him even though a part of me believes he deserves it. I appreciate your support though.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Flag his CL post and let them know he's being dishonest in it.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM

I hate people like that, I got burned by a punk kid... and his dad. I needed a commuter car and traded a dirt bike for one. the car had expired tags on it and I asked them if they had tried to smog it. they said no, when they bought it it had just passed smog and was good to go. turns out when I tried to register it, it came back as a gross polluter and had to go through state inspection to be registered. and the kicker was the name of the person that had tried to smog it was this kids dad. I hate liars!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM

I'm just frustrated with my poor judgment of character on this one, I should know better he just seemed like a kid who was genuinely interested in Jeeps saying how he used to own one and how he enjoyed it although seemed to have very little mechanical ability. It's really unfortunate the Jeep went to him, I feel bad for it, as I'm sure it was beat on and is now being dumped. I'm usually not one to ever quickly trust someone’s word but I was trying to change that but I learned my lesson. When we were looking over one another's vehicles he was telling me how his dad was a mechanic and asking how he could fix the front diff on the Jeep and things. I told him if he would like to get his dad out and I would go over everything with them telling him it would probaby be cheaper just get a new one from a yard and even offered to help. Oh well I got burned and have to live with the mistake I made just hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. Only good part of the story is at least I didn't give him any of the spare parts I had like I had originally intended to.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6 4.0 L

Originally Posted by sportrider
I hate people like that, I got burned by a punk kid... and his dad. I needed a commuter car and traded a dirt bike for one. the car had expired tags on it and I asked them if they had tried to smog it. they said no, when they bought it it had just passed smog and was good to go. turns out when I tried to register it, it came back as a gross polluter and had to go through state inspection to be registered. and the kicker was the name of the person that had tried to smog it was this kids dad. I hate liars!!!
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
I'm just frustrated with my poor judgment of character on this one, I should know better he just seemed like a kid who was genuinely interested in Jeeps saying how he used to own one and how he enjoyed it although seemed to have very little mechanical ability. It's really unfortunate the Jeep went to him, I feel bad for it, as I'm sure it was beat on and is now being dumped. I'm usually not one to ever quickly trust someone’s word but I was trying to change that but I learned my lesson. When we were looking over one another's vehicles he was telling me how his dad was a mechanic and asking how he could fix the front diff on the Jeep and things. I told him if he would like to get his dad out and I would go over everything with them telling him it would probaby be cheaper just get a new one from a yard and even offered to help. Oh well I got burned and have to live with the mistake I made just hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. Only good part of the story is at least I didn't give him any of the spare parts I had like I had originally intended to.
If phone calls need to be made I can make a phone call as I'm sure many will.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by cf1k1
If phone calls need to be made I can make a phone call as I'm sure many will.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't believe making harassing calls is the appropriate action to take. Simply trying to warn others if they were considering dealing with this person that they should be cautious. I also put partial blame on myself for believing a stranger would be completely honest. I'll learn from this mistake.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 AM

mine happened about 6 years ago so I'm over it now, but I'm pretty gun shy on "deals" now