Great Lakes Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan

Warning for when buying a used car.. PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Warning for when buying a used car.. PLEASE READ!

WARNING To all in Ohio looking to buy a used car DO NOT buy from this place.
Wow Car Company.

They don't stand behind anything. "AS-IS" or not the car we bought is a Lemon and I'm being forced to keep it and fix it myself. And this dealer will do nothing to try and make it right.

I agreed to replace tires and Brake pads. So far the repair list is: Rack, all brakes pads, rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, power steering pump pulley, tires, tie-rod end and now the Timing belt(hope it didn't kill the head).

About half the parts they did buy but I was forced to do the work. With some help from my good friend Nick Stine Where's our labor cost?

I bought the car fro $3000 (2000 Dodge Status withe the 2.4L). You'd think they would stand behind what they sell. This place is a bad joke.

Seems here in Ohio there is no laws to cover us little guys from getting screwed from used car dealers. I was told by 2 attorneys "The car is to old and purchase price to low for us to help you."

So warn your friends and pass this on..

http://www.wowcarcompany.com/
Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

First mistake.... The company has "wow"
In its name.
And I'm pretty sure that the 2.4 is a interference motor..... U might be screwed buddy.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: I6

should have inspected it before hand. sorry to hear about your problem. and having thse parts needing replacemente does not make it a lemon
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

You bought a stratus. My wife has a sebring and its more of a money pit then both of my XJs combined. You knew you were buying a used vehicle that would need work. Sucks you have to spend more time buying and installing parts but it's 1, a used vehicle, 2, a dodge stratus.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001

It ran great for the first month...

I've had great luck in the past with Dodge 2.0s and 2.4s..

Just this car has about 140k+ on it and has NEVER had any routine maintenance done to it.

I've come to the mind set that I think I need to buy both my daughter and my wife Jeeps. Seem that I have little to no issues with our Jeeps. 4.0L forever..

We were kinda in a corner on needing a car when we got this one. Ya I got screwed and there is nothing in the Law to cover my own stupidity on this. Live learn and move forward.

Now as for the 2.4 being a interference motor, most are but some aren't. Did I get lucky? I'll find that out over the next few weeks as I pull it apart. I figure I'll prob have to replace the valves.

The only positive to all this is once it's all done the car SHOULD be good to go for the next year or so.

I just figured I'd share the BS I'd gone through with the dealer, to save others the head ack.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Wow this sounds familiar,I bought a 02 Ford Ranger FX4 with a 4.0 and the motor threw a rod out the side the next day (the drain plug was welded onto the oil pan so the oil was never changed) and dealer told me to **** off becaise i got a good enough deal on it, i also payed 6 grand lol. The problem was fords are f&@# a pain in the *** to work on myself.its the luck of the draw man.atleast they gave you something.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by nick_n_ii

Now as for the 2.4 being a interference motor, most are but some aren't. Did I get lucky? I'll find that out over the next few weeks as I pull it apart. I figure I'll prob have to replace the valves.
This is an interference motor....

I would replace the timing belt and tensioner and put a water pump on it while your right there. Fire it up and see how it runs....I have seen quite a few of these 2.4's lose the timing belt and not do any major damage to the valves. and if it bent the valves it probably damaged the head also. If it damaged or bent the valves you should be able to tell with in the first five minutes.
You could also find someone with a bore scope and look and see if you can see anything.