Great Lakes Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan

michigan trails

Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default michigan trails

ok did some digging and i have found that there are more trails for dirt bikes and four wheelers and barely any for bigger ris and the ones that are out there are only a few miles long and most are just glorafide dirt roads and this kinda bugs me cause the dirt bikes and four wheelers cause more damage then any of us wheeling and the dnr is kicking us off of the public lands and turning them into trails for other orv's so lets find out what everyone in michigan thinks of this
Old 01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

First off there not kicking us off the land and giving it to ATV's and bikes. Just this past year we had something like 36 miles that use o be ATV trails opened to full size rigs.

And I feel you on the unfair amount of land..

Drummond Island did how ever open up most all of it's trails to full size rigs..

Write your congress member about it. I did and even got a response letter back..
Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 PM

ok cool but the atv trails im talking about there only 56" wide and go for many miles and most of the trails i used to ride have been turned into snowmabile trails and dnr said i cant ride them anymore so yes ill have to right them a letter thanks for the info
Old 01-09-2010, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Your talking about the trails in the Alligen Forest area, aren't you?

I know that area had a very large # shut down this year or converted. But what most don't know and I found out through asking is. Those trails have been on the list to close since the mid 1990's..

What I'd like to see in MI, is Clubs and Web site's take "Ownership" of area's of forest to develop and maintain new and old trail systems. This would give the public a bigger reason to maintain and not dump or destroy the lands.

It's our place to stand and do something, or our children just might not have a palce to ride/wheel..
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

one yes the allegan area and also up around baldwin and irons but why shut them down why not do instead of adopt a highway adopt a trail the only thing the dnr told me is they shut down the trails cause we offroaders tear up the trails but what about the atvs they cause more havoc than anything dont know but it sucks i read on another forum that the dnr is shuting down 3000 acres up by baldwin and i know there was alot of trails there they just dont want us out there is what i keep herin this state is going down the tubes
Old 01-09-2010, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Shutting down trails cause of off roaders just isn't right. Look what loggers do..

What I'd like to do is get the Loggers and the Wheelers on the same page. They seem to gain access to all the area's we get throughn out of plus they have the deep pockets.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 PM

oh i hear ya there on the logging i have talked to a few logging companys when out wheeling and some of the logging roads they have made get pretty knarly and they said i could wheel on them till they were done loggin it was a blast but there all over grown now but i dont know what the deal is with this state is what they need to do is take a huge part of the state thats has 1000 acres and make one entrance to it and charge just like they do silver lake or any other state park im sure that would help and there is not one offroad park on this side of the state there was a few farmers that were down in the dumps that were letting people wheel on there property but they got shut down by the state and i know a farmer thats trying to get his farm turned into a park the the state is fighting him on it talking about the noise and distruction of the land come on its his land if he cant make a liveing farming let him make it anyway he can but yes like you said write the gov and see what happens
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

A few years ago I joined the great lakes 4wd association, they seem to be big into helping the sport and helping with keeping trails and offroading alive and well, I let my membership expire since but thinking about signing up again.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Year: 1992

they have started to close trails on drummod island you can no longgo through the clay pits shail beach and some of marble head have also been closed, but there are more orv parks opening. great lakes is a good place to help keep the trails open but it takes more work than they can and the people that run get burt out because every thing takes so long to get done
Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 PM

i agree but i think someone should open an off road park on the west side of the state but hey all we can do is keep fighting for the trails
Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rlevs
they have started to close trails on drummod island you can no longgo through the clay pits shail beach and some of marble head have also been closed, but there are more orv parks opening. great lakes is a good place to help keep the trails open but it takes more work than they can and the people that run get burt out because every thing takes so long to get done
Most of the issue you speak of at Drummond were fixed this past year and re-opened..

I'll have to dig, but I know I've seen a map of all that's open to wheel..
Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Drummond Island info here

http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?p=46146#post46146

Here is a recent,, working copy of the map. We'll be going to print next week with the Island map we've been working on. ...If it doesn't show up..if someone who knows how to upload a jpeg provides me an email.. I'll send an image to them,, and they can upload to the web site. Never mind,, I see it worked.

Something I'd like to add.. No section of old trail was dropped or eliminated during the proposal process. Actually, new sections of trail were added. However, there were some concessions made by everyone involved. From the Off-road perspective, nothing was conceeded that had to do with drivability...ie..cutting back on useable/driveable trail. Basicly, the off-road concessions pertained to limiting access. Things like having to park 60 ft back from the edge of Marblehead over look.. or curtailing full access to drive out onto Shale beach.

As I said we gained new trail... rough new trails... not roads, not two track.. but stone ridges and a short but interesting hill climb to name a couple.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

im down everyone hit me up

SpooledupRacing@comcast.net

GR, MI here