Northern Rockies Montana, Wyoming & Idaho

Possible Off Highway run from Baggs Wyo To Salt lake/ Logan Utah.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder inline
Default Possible Off Highway run from Baggs Wyo To Salt lake/ Logan Utah.

Would anyone be up for a trek off highway? As the crow flies it is 215 miles from baggs to logan utah. All off highway through the red desert. Would anyone want to make the run?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'm interested in considering such an adventure. Tell me more.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM

There is an unreasonable amount of oilfield roads outside of Baggs Wyo. I have been mapping them out on google earth. I have a 16 mile run. a 20 mile run and a 50ish mile run. all that loop back into Baggs which is where they start. I am in the process of finding a route from baggs to saltlake. there are enough roads out there that I bet I could piece together a route. It would be close to 200 miles and i would want to run it over multiple days and not just in one go.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM

We do a lot of oil field roads in Montana/Wyoming so I am very familiar with them and love that kind of wheelin. I am definately interested. I will check out Google Earth as well as the Delorme topos. Sounds exciting.

I would imagine we are talking some higher altitudes on a trek like that. What have you found? I'm mentioning the altitudes in terms of snow and the timing of the trek.

There might be a person or two interested from my 4X4 club in Billings. Is it okay to mention it to others?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM

By All Means tell people! The altitude out here is roughly 6000-7000 feet. as far as I can tell there was no snow when i was buzzing around. mostly relatively loose sand and dirt on parts of it. There were a couple of puddles but nothing my jeep had trouble doing. I don't know what the trails would look like if it rained though. We'd also need to determine a good date to start and what not. how many days we'd be out and so forth.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 PM

This might be more efficient to do some of this via email. travarartist@gmail.com

I have looked at Baggs through googleearth and it shows about 6300'. Where do you have in mind from Baggs? South into CO?

My XJ has a 3.5" lift and 31" tires, is pretty well armoured underneath. It would be nice to have someone along who has a winch.

Anyway, lets get some email exchanges going and start doing some serious planning. Game?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 AM

Default Off Highway Run Map

This is the current map of said trip. Feedback is welcome
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 6.0

im extremely interested, i live in douglas and i would really like to go. hit me up with more info.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I work the oild fields in and around Baggs. I have a road map of all the oil/gas pad location for one of the major companies located there. Most of the roads only lead into well pads, however roads do lead in and out into different locations (county roads). If you do this, look out for the weather, those roads get slick and muddy quick with any moisture and we as oil field workers just tear the crap out of them with our 550 dualies.

mac
Old 10-30-2011, 10:10 AM

I would be interested in the trip. My cousin scouts in the area for hunt and he know the back country around Baggs. This would be a great trip for the spring time but I don't know about thisbtime of the year. I worked down the 3 or 4 years ago and the winter sucked.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by JHumes
I would be interested in the trip. My cousin scouts in the area for hunt and he know the back country around Baggs. This would be a great trip for the spring time but I don't know about thisbtime of the year. I worked down the 3 or 4 years ago and the winter sucked.
Eh, I'm in Star Valley and you guys still have about 2 more weeks of good weather to make this run I'd guess. If this is still planned I would like to get some more information on it and possibly join you guys. This would be my first real off-highway excursion in my XJ.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Year: 1988 & 1989
Engine: Both I6

Alot of ppl from wyoming on here.
check out www.backcountrycrawlers.com

local off road club. Been around for a long time. we do park clean ups. We also help the BLM keep there trails clean and open. We do trail outting and i no a few guys would be interested in this trail ride. I my self may be interested.

J.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 AM

Due to time constrictions and mechanical issues a trip this year would not be plausible. but with winter to plan we could extend the trip and take it farther if we felt so compelled. And by then I will have a mechanically sound rig as well. Keep an eye out for a more complete trip plan next summer next time for sure. I'd love to see a big turn out
Old 01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by RoberTrauma
Due to time constrictions and mechanical issues a trip this year would not be plausible. but with winter to plan we could extend the trip and take it farther if we felt so compelled. And by then I will have a mechanically sound rig as well. Keep an eye out for a more complete trip plan next summer next time for sure. I'd love to see a big turn out
Dude! I work in Craig all the time. Just left there like a half hour ago. Bring your jeep over to vernal and we'll go crawlin