Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rustys

i recently ordered and installed a trac bar from rustys. Went wheeling once and it started to make some noises. So I strengthened it by going to a double sheer setup. They sent it to me (after I paid heavely for it), I installed it (didnt want to fit right, so I had some troubles getting it in there). Once I got the mount in there I threaded the new end into the previous trac bar and saw that it used up all most all of the thread on there, so much so that I cant really get the body centered over the axle. i have 1.5 inches of thread showing behind the nut, meaning I have close to 3/4 inch of thread inside the trac bar and the minimum is 1 inch. My body is still half an inch farther to the passenger tire than the drivers. So i called rustys and told them that the problem I was having. That didnt go to well. They told me that was impossible. I am not the biggest fan of rustys customer service at the moment cause one of them had the ball to start yelling at me when i told him about the troubles Ive had with getting rustys stuff on my vehicle. So Im in the process of fighting for the solution with them

Has anyone else had problems with this tracbar setup? anyone got any tips or knowledge to pass on? My camera is in the wifes car or I woulda posted pics (just the type of day Im having). I uploaded the pics from my phone
Attached Images      

Last edited by cob24; 08-05-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

This is the measurement for the body being off center. I pulled 20 inches back from the back of the front turn signal and then 7/8 up from the flare to ensure that it was equal both side. Ideas Anyones?
Attached Images   
Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

got larger pics? hard to help when the pics are small. whats size lift? what size lift did rustys say the TB was good for?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Like I said the wife has the real camera and these are as big as I could get with the phone. I sent all the pics through to rustys and they are dumbfounded as well and they sent me a loop end with more thread. I actually was talking to rusty himself the whole time (which is why Im surprised i got into such a heated discussion with him). I just called him back and I guess we have worked it out and he is going to make a bigger end that will hold more thread.

I got 4" lift and the trac bar is supposed to be good for a lift up to 6.5 even 8 sometimes from what I was told. So in theory it should be inside the tracbar as much as possible. Felt kinda good to hear rusty himself say he was stumped but he was going to send the end and we would go from there
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by cob24
Like I said the wife has the real camera and these are as big as I could get with the phone. I sent all the pics through to rustys and they are dumbfounded as well and they sent me a loop end with more thread. I actually was talking to rusty himself the whole time (which is why Im surprised i got into such a heated discussion with him). I just called him back and I guess we have worked it out and he is going to make a bigger end that will hold more thread.

I got 4" lift and the trac bar is supposed to be good for a lift up to 6.5 even 8 sometimes from what I was told. So in theory it should be inside the tracbar as much as possible. Felt kinda good to hear rusty himself say he was stumped but he was going to send the end and we would go from there
something went wrong when they were making that TB. your issue is just plain weird
Old 08-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 str. 6

this just plan sucks. hopfully we can get it figured out.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
something went wrong when they were making that TB. your issue is just plain weird
When i talked to them (after we both cooled ourselves off) he said the measurement is about right. My theory is that the angle at the bend is just slightly off so it has messed it up for when the angle changed for the new drop bracket. If the extended end doesnt work out Im gonna have to go at it again with them to get it figured out. But when I reinstall it again Im gonna take pictures from start to finish so that I have proof that I installed it correct and Im gonna photograph everything about that thing.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

You realize if you messed up the install it will just be further proof to the lack of intelligence in Packer fans. On a side note if you drive it on post tomorrow I would like to take a look at it.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:03 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4l

I had a Rusty`s ,I had to screw it out as far as posible and then couldn`t keep it tight , after time 3 years .I then had the end welded . I gave up on it and went to different brand that is heavier and carry the "R" one as a spare.. No "R stuff "
Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah Im getting to that point too. Bobby anytime your available, ill make the trip