Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, Alaska

Might buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Might buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Hi all,

New to the forums and excited to learn about this vehicle.

I am considering purchasing a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee but I have a few questions. The vehicle is fully loaded with power everything, heated seats, a moonroof, etc. Interior looks perfect except for a bit of cracking I noticed on the driver's side door.
Exterior is perfect except the rockers do need to be done. Mileage is at 345000 kilometers though.

The seller is asking $2200 or $2500 safetied (because the rockers need to be done for it to pass the safety inspection). The vehicle has been etested and passed with no issues.

I'm worried about the mileage. I've done a bunch of research online but can't find any consistency regarding longevity of the V8 4.7L motor. I also don't see very many being sold anywhere with this high mileage. When I search the regular used vehicle sale sites I see some that go up to around 360,000 kms (225,000 miles). I'm not sure if people just aren't selling them with higher mileage or is this is typically when they die. I asked the owner if she has done any engine work and she says she's had no issues with the engine whatsoever.

Can anyone give me an estimate of how many kms or miles this motor should last for? The current owner works for an auto mechanic's shop and has taken very good care of it. She has put a ton of work into it recently (all ball joints, tie rods, bearings, etc.). She also says that oil changes were also done before the 5000 km marker.

Also, are there any other issues I should be aware of with this vehicle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Sathane; 11-09-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have a 02 grand with the 4.7. Word around here is they are hit and miss on the bottom end, and more problematic on the high output version, which wasn't available that mod year anyways. If yours was one of the ones with the bottom end problem it would have let go by now. Also, these motors don't like being over heated.

Regardless of how good any motor is your getting pretty high up in miles, if it's been taken care of and it's a great deal just pull the trigger and just start a motor fund. Take a compression gauge with you and check if your worried. I haven't heard anything Bout the 4.7 going as long as the 4.0 but mine has 180k miles on it and it's still just as strong as it was at 70 when we got it.

Common problems are bolts breaking on driver side exhaust manifold, oil pressure sending unit, horrible calipers on that mod year (I've replaced 8 calipers in 6 years, and it's not just my driving style).

If it's the limited model check for the blend door issue. Make sure both ac and heat work and it goes front floor to vents, it's not a question of if it would have the blend door issue, but when.

Last edited by Slimgoaty; 11-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.