Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ZJ to XJ compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ZJ to XJ compatibility

Hi yall,

Ive poured though these forums in the past couple weeks soaking it all in like ive done with so many others in different disciples but now im jeep hooked. 4.0 or die
First accidentally owned a 95 ZJ with the 4.0 and after it got taken from me via NY rust/totaled accident ive acquired two more in the XJ form, a 91 and an 01 for my jeep lady. My lady had a JK wrangler but we let that go in favor of living within our means and affording me the opportunity to do relatively easy, cheap, knowledgeable repairs.

Most all of my questions have been answered and i keep diggin but it coming time to scrap the ZJ and id like to know what parts are worth keeping for either XJs. I understand the I6 4.0 will bolt up to the 91 so ill keep the engine and start reconditioning it (189k) but what i dont know much about for compatibility is the transmission, gears, axles, or how to go about identifying what model the parts are and their considerations. The ZJ accident was against a taurus (not my fault) and it went under into the suspension/radiator so i wouldnt consider any of that. ps i drove away nearly over heating but her airbags deployed and that car was doooone (no one injured)

If ive easily overlooked this answer please point me in the right direction and ill delete the post and kick myself but im eager to learn and gaining confidence at a rapid pace.

BTW if anyone needs something off the forest green 95 ZJ with tan interior and is near western ny or is a reasonable shipped item PM me. Anyone else local thats looking for a protege give a shout!

clearly im keeping the gimmes like alloy rims and tires and battery

thanks in advance everyone
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM

im swapping the rear disc brakes, i think the zj had a junk tranny in 95 if im correct even tho at 189k it never gave me a single problem..

what about front and rear diffs, axles?
Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The transmission from the ZJ won't work in an XJ. The engine will work in both XJs, and if the ZJ has a NP231 or the NP242, you may want to hang onto it. If the ZJ seats are in good shape they will bolt into the newer XJ. You can do a rear disc swap using the ZJ parts. Other than those few things nothing will really be useful for the XJs. The front axle is a low pinion D30, it can be used in the newer XJ, the rear axle is a D Turdy five that is set up for coils. You don't want.

Last edited by Bustedback; 06-30-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
The transmission from the ZJ won't work in an XJ. The engine will work in both XJs, and if the ZJ has a NP231 or the NP242, you may want to hang onto it. If the ZJ seats are in good shape they will bolt into the newer XJ. You can do a rear disc swap using the ZJ parts. Other than those few things nothing will really be useful for the XJs. The front axle is a low pinion D30, it can be used in the newer XJ, the rear axle is a D Turdy five that is set up for coils. You don't want.
Solid info, thanks! Im guessing the best easiest way to verify all the components would be to get a build sheet from Jeep, otherwise is there an easy way to tell?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by 91XJFourO

Solid info, thanks! Im guessing the best easiest way to verify all the components would be to get a build sheet from Jeep, otherwise is there an easy way to tell?
Yup. Do the build sheet and take a look for yourself also. What does the TC shifter say. The arm rest of the ZJ can be put into the xj. The tranny shift **** can be used. Both are just comfort items. Sell what you can of the ZJ for money. Etc