Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Zj altanator to xj

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet
Default Zj altanator to xj

Hey everyone I grabbed an alternator out of a v8 zj over the weekend forget what year it was lol but I know with some grinding of the bracket it'll go but the thing is, my xj has clips for the wiring but the zj didn't. Help! I don't know what I should attach where! And I couldn't find a write up on here. Some input or a link to a write up would be great! Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

check this. might help. If it doesn't say in it, then I'm sure Evil Drew can help you out.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/v8-alternator-95151/
Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CherokeeChick
Hey everyone I grabbed an alternator out of a v8 zj over the weekend forget what year it was lol but I know with some grinding of the bracket it'll go but the thing is, my xj has clips for the wiring but the zj didn't. Help! I don't know what I should attach where! And I couldn't find a write up on here. Some input or a link to a write up would be great! Thanks
The Field wiring connections are different between ''97/98 and the 99-01. You will need the terminals or fabricate your own to connect the Field wiring... You will also need to unscrew the B+ copper terminal so that you can swap out the insulator boot and rotate it to the same orientation as your original alternator. If you reuse the factory cable; the factory cable will not allow you to take advantage of the full charging capabilities of the new alternator.
Also would recommend you upgrade the charging cable going from the B+ terminal on the alternator to the PDC terminal where it attaches to the fuse panel and install a inline 125 or 150A fuse to replace the fusible link that is in the factory charging cable.
As you already posted.... you will need to remove some material from the mounting brackets to fit the larger alternator case diameter.
Recommend that you spray the bolts with PB Blaster or some sort of penetrant before trying to unbolt them.... The bolts that hold the aluminum bracket to the block are prone to snapping off if you try to muscle them without lubricant.
A grinder works best for removing material from the brackets.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

So the purpose of this upgrade for me is I'd like to put in another battery. I have the k and n cone style filter in place is it a bad idea to use a wet cell battery or should I go gel ? Will the 136 amp alternator be good enough?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

You are in Toronto, I am all to familiar with -40F. best battery you can buy is way to go. make sure all grounds (i.e. very good batt terminal cables, and cleaned ground strap connections throughout engine compartment) are good or you'll end up having your baby suck all the juice outta it in no time.

Alternator, Charles is correct!

hope the snow aint flyin yet!

cpnwrench

Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Not yet and Toronto seems to be stuck in a bubble! I'm originally from Kingston gets way colder there the most I've seen in recent years is like - 30 C with wind chill. Normally starts snowing early November trying to get some more projects done before the snow starts flying around! Steering box up grade and this. c rock has had my inner plate in transit for 2 and a half weeks now it sucks wanted to have it done before the front end skid plate and bush bars went on but I had to butcher the bush bars.. found them on the side of the road! Made them work though! So the 136 zj alternator should be ok?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

The reason I asked was because I was starting to mock up my second battery (just happen to have an extra) and My mentor come out and said I couldn't put the battery there because the corrosion from the battery will get sucked up by the air filter. He said that's why they put the battery on the other side. I mean that shouldn't be a problem as long as I keep them clean? I'm under my hood all the time My terminals on my stock location are always clean I maintain my truck well. My solution to keep him happy I was thinking about maybe grabbing another air box out of another car that the battery will fit well in and using that as a sort of tray what do you guys think about the tray / corrosion, idea / issue? I guess a snorkel would solve it to eh? I just spent 90 bucks on a k and n filter for this project. Don't wanna ditch it. Have any of you had anything bad happen due to this battery location being close to the cone style filter?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

I was just doing some reading and I found that the 2001 - 2003 Dodge Durango with the 5.9 L engine have a 160 amp alternator and it's a plug and play affair. Has anyone out there done this?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Plug and play for 99 - 2001 xj
Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Ok thanks for no help on this one guys, I hope this may help someone in the future. I figured it out it took a while but I've learned that I can buy one of these:

http://m.canadiantire.ca/mt/www.cana....jsp?locale=en

Last edited by CherokeeChick; 11-16-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Also, I seen this on the crappy tire web sight was wondering if you guys thought this looked like a solenoid to you as well:

http://m.canadiantire.ca/mt/www.cana....jsp?locale=en

Last edited by CherokeeChick; 11-16-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have the Dodge Durango or Dakota alt on my 99 the only difference besides amps is the pulley has one extra groove in it.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah I read something about the pulley being different ppl said that the belt ran fine on it just one rib out. Hey I thought the Dakotas were only 117 amp ? And do they have the same field wiring? the 160 amp durango alt. Come in the 5.9 and they have the same field wiring I've done much more home work since I last posted

My only concern is the field wiring I don't wanna have to screw with that
Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Found something else that may be helpful to people in the future, I decided this is the way I'm going to wire my dual battery set up, there is also a write up available on this sight but it's for some other truck never bothered to find it out but from the diagram and the write up you should have no problem doing this one your self:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical..._batteries.PDF

Last edited by CherokeeChick; 11-16-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Another thing I found helpful, it helped me decide weather I was going to go the solenoid or the isolator rout. When I tried to find something on the Cherokee forum search nothing popped up but when I googled this popped up... I hope this helps someone

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/dua...y-setup-70808/

Quick Reply: Zj altanator to xj