Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Yet another XJ electrical problem...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Yet another XJ electrical problem...HELP!

I have mentioned this problem before on the XJ forum...but since then it has gotten worse and I need to fix it IMMEDIATELY. Whenever I put my left turn signal on, my hazards go on but only in the rear. I can also hear a clicking noise in the back left area of my XJ (on the inside, right where the rear taillight is) whenever I hit my brake or when my turn signal flashes. It used to only happen every now and then, but now it happens every time I put my turn signal on. The only way I have found to temporarily fix it is to flip my turn signal on, turn on my hazards, and then turn the hazards back off. But this only works 70-80% of the time...and it gets annoying to do ten different things when all you want to do is make a left turn. I need to get this fixed because I have had several friends mention to me that they never know if I'm breaking down or if I'm turning and that this might confuse other motorists. Also, I could probably get pulled over for it and given a ticket
Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

What year is your jeep I'm on the phone app and it doesn't say. Check all your bulbs to make sure they work, even if your side marker bulb is out it will affect your blinkers.

Next check the fuses for the left and the right blinkers.

Otherwise it is the flasher located under the steering wheel compartment, or you have a bad turn signal module I think it's called (the physical shifter you use to turn the left/right turn signals on). This is expensive to replace so I would check everything else first.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

sounds like trailer wiring issue ...
Old 05-13-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7

Sounds like your turn signal head switch on your steering column. You said after messing with it ,sometimes it works. Have you tried one yet, about $40 at the dealer.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

You need to pull the rear panel on the drivers side behind the spare mount.
Freegdr has hit it again (before me ).
I'll bet you anything you'll find the remnants of trailer wiring in there.
Pull all those blue 3M or Scotch-locks off the wires, there's also a ground that you'll need to clean it up and re-tighten.
There will also be a modular connector back there with half a dozen or so wires in it. Be sure that it's clean and tight.

I used to work as a tech for the largest RV dealer in the state, I saw what happened with those connectors on a daily basis. They fail in a very short period of time. The tap that cuts thru the insulation to make the connection also cuts the strands in the wire (reducing the amount of current the lead can conduct.) It also allows moisture into the insulation, corroding the wires and further reducing the conductivity.
The tap is steel, which reacts with the copper as soon as any sort of moisture gets in there. compounds the issue.

If you need trailer wiring, spring for one of the in-line modular connectors, they're under $30, they last forever, and they don't "F" up your harness.

Last edited by Marcucco; 05-13-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

+3 Scotch-locks should be banned.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by gvns8
What year is your jeep I'm on the phone app and it doesn't say. Check all your bulbs to make sure they work, even if your side marker bulb is out it will affect your blinkers.

Next check the fuses for the left and the right blinkers.

Otherwise it is the flasher located under the steering wheel compartment, or you have a bad turn signal module I think it's called (the physical shifter you use to turn the left/right turn signals on). This is expensive to replace so I would check everything else first.
No lights are out, all fuses are good, and the turn signal relay under the dash has been replaced.

Oh, and it's a 98
Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by nowhereman98
Sounds like your turn signal head switch on your steering column. You said after messing with it ,sometimes it works. Have you tried one yet, about $40 at the dealer.
It used to work after flipping it a couple of times...that doesn't work now. Now I have to put the turn signal on, flip on my hazards, and then turn my hazards back off...I'm not sure if that even works all of the time now
Old 05-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
sounds like trailer wiring issue ...
Aftermarket trailer wire, last owner probably hired an idiot to do it by the looks of how it's hung under the hitch receiver.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Marcucco
You need to pull the rear panel on the drivers side behind the spare mount.
Freegdr has hit it again (before me ).
I'll bet you anything you'll find the remnants of trailer wiring in there.
Pull all those blue 3M or Scotch-locks off the wires, there's also a ground that you'll need to clean it up and re-tighten.
There will also be a modular connector back there with half a dozen or so wires in it. Be sure that it's clean and tight.

I used to work as a tech for the largest RV dealer in the state, I saw what happened with those connectors on a daily basis. They fail in a very short period of time. The tap that cuts thru the insulation to make the connection also cuts the strands in the wire (reducing the amount of current the lead can conduct.) It also allows moisture into the insulation, corroding the wires and further reducing the conductivity.
The tap is steel, which reacts with the copper as soon as any sort of moisture gets in there. compounds the issue.

If you need trailer wiring, spring for one of the in-line modular connectors, they're under $30, they last forever, and they don't "F" up your harness.
I'll check that out ASAP. THANK YOU!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

When it gets goofy, I look at grounds. Something that has saved me, I took an old vacuum cord and hooked one end to the battery ground. With the other I went around touching that to the bulb sockets. Once I found that the whole bed of my Toyota not being grounded is why my front running lights would come on when I hit the brake!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM

Here's my video...ignore me I'm annoying (and can't speak very clearly)
Also, I didn't watch the video yet. I'm sorry if it's bad quality I'm not sure how my new phone's camera is yet
Edit: also, I talked to a guy who used to work for Jeep/Dodge. He said to check the relay, I told him I replaced it, he then suggested some kind of multifunction switch might be either loose or damaged...So, I will be checking that soon. Any suggestions, feel free to post them here

Last edited by Griff94; 05-17-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Bump...just because I need this fixed ASAP
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I went around touching that to the bulb sockets.
I know getting the talelight housing off could be a heck of allot easier, but I'd touch a wire that's connected to the battery ground to the metal of the bulb socket. Granted that's pretty goofy, but "goofy" is the trade mark of a bad ground. I have also seen mine fail IN/AT the talelight assembly it's self. Of course it didn't do that! Lol! I'd go right off the battery, right to the socket"s". Rule that out before you buy anything. You seem to have power....everywhere.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Here's the area Marcucco mentioned. The ground points and connectors in this area are for the left tail lights and upper stop lamp on the lift gate.

You mentioned you heard a clicking noise in the back left area. This is probably the area.

Pic is of my '99 XJ.

Any trailer tow connectors would be in this area.

Someone on this, or another, forum had left rear brake light problems and found the wiring in this area smoked.

Quick Reply: Yet another XJ electrical problem...HELP!