Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Yet another "wont start" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006
Model: Cherokee
Default Yet another "wont start" thread...

Greetings all,

I am new to post, long time reader. I know it's a pain to read the same question over and over because posters don't do the HW, but I am having trouble finding an answer to my issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2006 XJ, I walk out in the AM and it kicks right over, no issues. I drive to work (abt 30mi) stop at the corner store for coffee and when I come out and she wont start. Nice crank, I have power. Occasionally the engine light stays on until she kicks over, but it could take about 20-30 mins. its a random issue, but always after I have been driving. I have taken it to my local mechanic and the Jeep dealer. The dealer replaced the IAC Sensor and preformed throttle body service, told me it wouldn't happen again. It happened the next day ...3 times. I am at a loss. I am reading a lot of similar posts, but nothing saying after they have driven for a while. They all point to the CPS. I have 163,282mi, religious with recommended service and just had a tune up 5 months ago. Any ideas?
Old 12-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Could be a coolant temp sensor, or even heat soak of the fuel rail/injectors, maybe even bad coil pack. Any error codes when you get it scanned?

I'm assuming this is on a 4.0L engine, but a 2006 XJ? They stopped making them in 01, so you either have a grand cherokee or wrangler..
Old 12-18-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
Could be a coolant temp sensor, or even heat soak of the fuel rail/injectors, maybe even bad coil pack. Any error codes when you get it scanned?

I'm assuming this is on a 4.0L engine, but a 2006 XJ? They stopped making them in 01, so you either have a grand cherokee or wrangler..
t.mcginley.jr,

Thank you for your input. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with the codes (besides Google them) so I didn't ask. Its a Grand Cherokee. My guy checked the coil, he said it looked good. After posting this I called him again to discuss further options. The dealer offered another diagnostic at no charge so I wanted to get some dates of my last service and major visits. He said last time I dropped it off for an oil change he went out to start it about 15 mins after i parked it and had no luck. After some troubleshooting he found it was real low on oil. He had to add 1qt to hit the min line. Then it kicked right over. He thinks that might be the reason or part of it. I am going to check the oil before next start to see where I'm at. I'll update then. Your thoughts?
Old 12-18-2015, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ooTrebmuN
I am going to check the oil before next start to see where I'm at. I'll update then.
So I checked the oil, it was right below the "SAFE" line. Pretty dark too, but didn't smell burnt. (I also looked at my coolant and it also looked low.) Think she be burning through oil quicker then i can change to then setting off the fail safe so the engine wont start out of design? I am 200 mi from my scheduled oil change with two trips from NY to VA and back as well as NJ to VA and back this month.